Alaska Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Alaska Workers

• Alaska Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Alaska Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

alaskamillright Guest

Default ESIS / ACE and the system

About two years ago I was injured on the job, wont say where or who working for but it has been a real wake up call for me. As a Millwright I have been use to working one job here another job there and I always suspected the workers comp system was not a good one for anyone having to get into the system and darn I was right.

I have had two operations, I tried to get the insurance company to let me start retraining after the first year as it was my doctors opinion that I most likely would not be able to go back into my normal line of work.

I was constantly told to wait till the doctor gave his final opinion, well he did and sure enough the insurance company filed to have my retraining canceled as I had not reported the fact that I might or would not be able to go back to work in the proper time period.

Fortunately, I had already been in contact with one of the directors of Alaska workers comp and they over ruled that. In addition, my physical therapist, doctor, and caseworker nurse had all suggested that I get an exercise machine to reduce my weight.

It was denied by the insurance company, as no one would say it was a medical necessity despite the fact that I was unable to perform the needed exercises on the machines that they had at the therapy place.

I called on of our state representatives and now suddenly they are willing to offset the cost I spent getting the machine myself but I must go to my doctors office and get weight reports to show improvement week by week or month by month. Well that is better than nothing.

I bought the book workers comp 101 after my out of state partial permanent disability rating.

I sure wish I had read it before as I fell right into the trap. 1000.00 flight to a location in California nice hotel late morning appointment in the doctors office so I was extra rested and in better than normal shape for my appointment. Nice chair in the doctors office the seat was a bit higher than most chairs and slanted forward so one can sit and get up much better than in the standard furniture in most homes or places you go.

The doctor used all this as well as outright lies about what I had done in following the doctors instructions, estimated damage and he truly falsified the reports from my first and second doctor reports. All of which I sure hope come out in the open after I have my ppi rating in state from an independent doctor.

Funny one should ask your doctor before the operation if he does ppi ratings, if he will testify in court, if he will represent you or the insurance company before the cut you open.

Just like all the rest of the stories I have been plagued by non regular checks filing of motions to disallow or not do this one after the other and my advice is call an attorney to represent you before you call the doctor or ambulance.

getting one later after you realize that these people are truly out to discredit you, hassle you and get rid of you anyway they can is very frustrating.

For those of you who are union workers well be ware if your not fully vested and the union is supported by the company you were working for they also abandon you, steel your retirement, and leave you just like the nonunion companies.

As an injured worker you naturally think you need a doctor first and that is true to a point but as soon as the doctor has you stable call an attorney.

don

edk Guest

Boy I am surprised your union did not protect you more. Can you file a grievance with them over inadequate representation?
    Sorry to hear of your plight.

alaskamillright Guest

THANKS EDK:
    I WROTE TO THE CHAIRMAN OF IBEW INTERNATIONAL AND ALL I GOT BACK WAS A LETTER SAYING IF I DID NOT GET 300 HOURS IN BEFORE 2007 I WOULD FORFIT MY RETIREMENT. THE IBEW WAS A UNION BUT NOW IT SEEMS IT IS CONTROLED BY THE POWER COMPANIES. I CALLED THE LOCAL HALL IN ANCHORAGE AND OFFERED TO EVEN CLEAN THE BATHROOMS AND ALL THEY SAID WAS THEY WOULD ASK. NO REPLY TO DATE. I WILL WRITE MORE LATER.AKMILLWRIGHT

top Guest

I feel for you Millwright.As a Non-Alaskan resident injured there last year,I find the system sucks there,and needs a severe overhaul,including the attorneys.My biggest problem has been trying to find a reputable attorney to handle my case before the board and the insurance carrier.It seems the few work comp attorneys in Alaska get paid if they win or loose,heck,seems like a no lose situation for them,why help us.good luck to you