Alaska Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Alaska Workers

• Alaska Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Alaska Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    harry Guest

Default Termination While Under A Doctor's Care

Can any one tell me wheither you can be under a Doctors care ,on workmans comp,not released from Doctors care and be off work for 7 months and 3 weeks out of your 3rd surgery for carpol tunnel and be terminated from your employer..????
    PLEASE HELP~!

sh Guest

Yes. Workers' comp claims do not make employees immune to termination. Most states have anti-discrimination laws that penalize employers who punish workers that file comp claims. Contact Alaska work comp Division for more information (907) 269-4980

berta Guest

YES YOU CAN BE LAYED OFF, WORSE YET THEY CAN FIND DR,S FROM OREGON TO TELL LIES ABOUT YOU AND HAVE ALL YOUR BENEFITS STOPPED. HAVING A INSURANCE POLICY IS NO SAFE HAVEN FOR ALASKA WORKERS. GOOD LUCK, KEEP THE POT STURRED, HOPEFULLY ALL THE <FONT COLOR="ff0000">••••</FONT> WILL FLOAT TO THE TOP.

john Guest

I&#39;m declared medicaly stable. And currently about 1/2 way through my voc. rehab training. Can I work a parttime side job to make a little extra money without being penalized, or fined.

sh Guest

Without knowing your benefit status i&#39;d guess &#34;probably&#34;. You should notify the carrier, VR counselor, and doctor to makesure it does not exceed your medical restrictions.

top Guest

OK,question for those in the know.My case was contoverted &#40;and TTD stopped,which I have no problem with generally&#41;because I opted not to have surgery for the covered injury &#40;hernia&#41;.The Insurance carrier claims that since I opted not to have the surgery,I am considered medically stable even tho 3 Dr.&#39;s &#40;one belonging to the carrier&#41;stated it is my choice not to have surgery and it can&#39;t be forced on anyone and all Dr.&#39;s agree on light duty&#40;my job was seasonal,and the business has since changed hands&#41;.
    A very reputable Dr. gave me a 12% PPI rating based on AMA guide 5th edition&#40;as required in Alaska&#41;.The insurance carrier isn&#39;t aware of this yet,but had previously told me that since I am medically stable their responsibilty is over,unless I decide to have the surgery within 2 years,in which case that would be covered as well as TTD for an unspecified time.
    The Dr. who gave the rating also carries a Doctorate of law and stated that the PPI would give me the opportunity for a C&amp;R and/or vocational rehabilitation since NO ONE can be forced to have surgery.He stated only 5 states don&#39;t offer this,and he wasn&#39;t sure which states.I had the PPI in my home state.
    While I don&#39;t want surgery,there may come a time when I have no choice medically,but I want it covered whether it is 2 years or 30 years down the road,and a PPI and C&amp;R seems the best way.Like most here,I didn&#39;t ask or want to be injured and it seems I must be missing something when a carrier can just walk away when it is my right and chioce.Any answers would greatly help.

sh Guest

Under most state comp laws if you decline recommended treatment then you have essentially chosed to be declared at Maximum Medical Improvement and able to be rated.

top Guest

OK,well,How can any state force one to have surgery?,the only reason I declined surgery was because there are no gurantees as to no further problems either during or after surgery,and reading postings and doing research only affirms that point for me.So,If I am rated,as I have been,then the PPI is what they will go on?,or is my case essentially closed?.Thanks for your input

sh Guest

Benefits are available after MMI. To find out more on the Alaska comp system see
    http://labor.state.ak.us/wc/wc-brochure.pdf

top Guest

Thanks for all your help SH,and I have the brochure put out by the state,but again,being new at this,what do you mean by &#34;MMI&#34;?,thanks again