California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    injured Guest

What's the typically Settlement Amount in california, say for example for Herinated disks that need surgery for treatment? What's the typical $$$ money compenstation that a IW would recieve? For example, a IW has been out of work for two years and is fighting a WC case, because they are being dienied by the IC. Is it between $20k thru $50k or do some workers ever get more then $50k? I'm pretty sure alot of people in this forum have the same question

I'm not in CA, but "typical" means nothing here. But I did make an observation. I settled my case because I could not get a surgeon to operate on me (the good ones won't take comp. rates). My settlement amount was half of my pay for one and a half years.

Then someone else I know who was injured settled. That settlement was for half of her pay for one and one half years.

Keep in mind this is not much money, and since my surgery I have spent a good deal on uncovered medical. Eventually it will all be gone and I'm terrified that I will never be able to work again.

I think they have a formula, unless you've won your hearings, appeals, etc. Anyone else care to comment?

mfelde Guest

not all workers comp doctors are bad surgeons but it is true that theres no money in it for them

no amount of money is worth herniated discs!

i cant ever work again and that dont bother me much but getting jerked off by the insurance co sure does!
    i think they hope you will croak before they have to pay out anything

4 yrs and counting, will it ever end? i just want this monkey off my back!

injured Guest

Thanx!! I know their's a formula that the State follow's. I just wanted some ball park figures from any injured worker's on the forum! Thanks for ur responds MassRN!! U have set some light on my journey!!

sh Guest

There is a permanent disability calculation formula but it's not based on your diagnosis, or treatment or how long you've been out of work. You need to get a whole body impairment rating from your doctor before any payments can be calculated.

iw Guest

I kinda figured that SH, thanks for your info. I just ask the question, because i kinda figured that some people on the forum are currently going through the settlement process! And probably have the same diagnosis as me two herinated disks. I just wanted to see if they share the compenstation awards amounts! That's all, i think there's lot's of people that have the same question and find themselves in the same boat.

iw Guest

I need to add this to message above two herniated disks that need surgery for treatment & yes I will proceed with back surgery for treatment.

Were I you, I'd get more than one opinion about your back. The first 3 doctors I saw each wanted to do something different. The next two agreed with one of the others. Then they all refused to see me until I settled my case.

Here, if doctor's band together and form their own practice, even if they are located within a hospital, they have no obligation to treat you unless you are an existing patient. This is how the docs get around having to take low payment for WC surgeries. It also makes it very difficult to get a good person. I was turned down by 25 of the city's best ortho and neurosurgeons. Two who agreed to take me had both paid out larger than average malpractice suits within the past couple of years. In MA we have a way to look this up as comsumers.

Anyway, I threw in the towel for that reason. I would have been in a wheelchair if I'd waited the whole nasty business out.

When I say I settled, it was not based upon any rating of any kind. It was a supposed negotiation process between my stinking attorney and the stinking insurance company. However, I believe it was an amount predetermined by my salary.

Anyway, be careful with your back. I needed a 2-level fusion and walked around with sciatic pain for the year and a half that I was in the system. I don't know if that's why I have nerve damage now. I had a really good surgeon at the best ortho hospital around here.

I'm still screwed, however.

iw Guest

WOW! MASSRN, I just finished going through a back surgery! Not a Fusion, but a microlactimony, i probably mis-spelled the word, and I'm in CA. This is the CA Forum is it?

iw Guest

DOES ANYONE WANT TO SHARE THEIR INFO. ON HOW MUCH MONEY ($$$) THEY RECEIVED FROM THEIR WC CASE? FOR HERINATED DISKS ON THEIR BACK? I WANT TO HEAR $$$ amts. NOt stories!! I know that cases are diff. & theirs a formula that they Follow!! BUT HOW FAR OFF CAN they be, FROM THE SAME INJURIES?