Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Massachusetts Workers

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

g. Guest

Default Preexisting Spinal Stenosis

i am having to pay for a claim against me for a on the job aggravation of a preexisting condition of spinal stensois and other serious back disease.
    the claimant was awarded a disibility and payment of her preexisting disease. can anyone give me any information they have regarding similar claims
    thankyou

just Guest

g. dawson............Are you an employee or an employER ??????

sh Guest

The law considers agravations new injuries. Happens all the time. Once the injured returns to pre-injury status the comp benefits will stop unless it casued permanent impairment. In which case comp pays it's share.
    Happens the other way also. When there has been a non-industrial event that aggravates an existing work comp claim, the carrier will deny benefits.

john Guest

many people do not have a problem with stenosis or even know they have it until there is an injury that aggravates it further.What is the name of the serious back disease?Everyone over a certain age has the label degenerative disc disease, but that doesnt mean they have a problem working, yet many times a work injury, causes new symptoms to appear that are often hard to treat.

john Guest

many people have stenosis and it isnt a problem until an injury aggravates it.People over a certain age are often diagnosed with the label degenerative disc disease and without an injury such as a work injury they wouldn't even know they had soo called degenerative disc disease.Once it has been aggravated by a work injury it is hard to treat.What is the name of the serious back disease? Who awarded the claimant the disability payment? The judge or was it a mutual settlement?

G. Dawson:
    Are you an employer whose insurance company is having to pay for this employee? Please be clearer on this matter. I am in MA and am interested in talking with you, through this forum or otherwise.

simon Guest

Tom, and Gerry

Default Re: Preexisting spinal stenosis

i was 18 when i got injured and work, my results were moderate stenosis, degenerative disk disease and 4 herniations. did they have to pay? absolutley

Default Re: Preexisting spinal stenosis

tool - not the same thing at all.
    an injury may cause some complicating factors due to pre-existing stenosis but once the condition has returned to pre-injury status baseline the stenosis is a non-factor. Coverage for issues concerning stenosis would therafter not be under comp. While this is a gross simpification, by and large stenosis is not a clinical issue in most back injuries but is added on the basis of language from the imaging studies. When there is a significant spine injury, it would be hard to imagine how a sprain would aggravate stenosis, then the lack of space due to the pre-existing stenosis may cause a serious complication that must rightfully be included in the claim until remedied; ie. surgical management of the stenosis in addition to the primary lesion. This would be the difference between a discectomy and a discectomy/laminectomy.