Kansas Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Kansas Workers

• Kansas Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Kansas Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    john Guest

Default How much do you get for an injury

I'd like to find out the ammount for hand injury,
    lost all four fingers on right hand they were able reattach the middle finger and ring finger.
    lost the index and pinkie down to the knucle,
    and next week thier going to remove the ring finger and move the pinkie knub to the ring finger's place.

edk Guest

This is what I recieved from the state 2 yrs ago John

The schedule shows the maximum # of weeks in which you can get compensation for an injury. Actual compensation is based on the percentage of permanent disability. TTD is also subtracted from the # of weeks you are eligible for. There is a $100,000 cap on all compensation.

Hand...150
    thumb...60
    index finger...37
    middle finger...30
    ring finger...20
    little finger..15

for other people from KS The below is the list of other injuries and the max # of weeks; please remember this info is 2 yrs old and changes may or may not have been changed

shoulder...225
    arm...210
    forearm...200
    foot...125
    eye...120
    hearing, both ears...110
    hearing one ear...30
    great toe...30
    great toe end joint..15
    each other toe...10
    each other toe end joint only...5

injuries that are not 'scheduled injuries" are called whole body injuries...415 wks

This does not mean you will get the maximum, even with amputation of fingers. Often it will depend on what your livelyhood was, if you were a typist or a pianist it would obviously mean more than if you had a profession that did not use the digits. I have no clue if the digits run consecatively or if they lump them all under the max of 37 weeks. Believe me they will try to get out of it with the least # of weeks.

If you do not have an attorney I would advise you to consult with one. If you are from the Wichita area I can refer you to a good firm.

edk Guest

Sorry about the above typoes John hope it made sense
    I neglected to mention at the end of treatment you will get a whole body rating due to your injuries. This is where it gets insulting. Lets say you are right handed the left hand would be worth less. Then its to your entire body. Although those fingers mean the world to you they may only be worth a 10% disability rating or even less. The total amount you will get would be 10% of the maximum amount allowed in the schedule. So that $400/wk check that you got on TTD would become $40/wk on PPD (example #'s)

If you needed your hands in your job and restrictions keep you from using your hand then something else may come into play. I recieved a very small whole body rating when I reached maximum improvement. My restrictions state i can not hold my arms in front of me or above. I was a dental hygiensist for 25 yrs. because this was my profession for OVER 15 YEARS another factor comes into play. I would not have known about it without the lawyer. In essence I am entiltled to the entire amount left of the $100,000 minus the TTD payments. The lawyer will get his 25% cut too. So In the end I may end up with $50,000 instead of the $8,000 the co would offer using the rating method. Its not a large # but thats our wonderful state of KS. I had a whole body injury that is not curable, it involved the shoulder, neck and back. I was given a 5% rating and need to find a job that I do not use my arms in front of me. Ratings are based on medical guidelines from the AMA.
    I really urge you to at least confer with an attorney.

brian Guest

HELLO MY NAME IS BRIAN I RECENTLY HAD A ROTATOR CUFF INJURY TO MY RIGHT SHOULDER WHICH I AM STILL UNDERGOING PHISYCAL THERAPY FOR. AND NOW I HAVE THE SAME INJURY TO THE LEFT SHOULDER. WAS CURIOUS IF ANYONE KNEW A GOOD ATTORNEY IN THE WICHITA AREA AND I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND THE SETTLEMENT AMOUNTS. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFUL.

diane Guest

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW THEY RATE CATCHING HEP C IN THE WORKPLACE???
    DIANE

edk Guest

I believe it would fall under the non scheduled injuries.

Don't have a clue as to disability rating, I imagine it would depend on if there is liver damage and the severity etc.

Best to confer with an attorney.

Good luck to you

scartissue Guest

I HAVE BEEN SOLD OUT BUY ONE CROOKED WORKERS COMP. ATTORNEY. I HAVE THE DOCUMENTATION TO PROVE IT, AND I AM NOT LOOKING TO GET ANOTHER ATTORNEY LIKE THAT ONE. I HAVE SEVERAL ISSUES INVOLVING WORKERS COMP., BUT I WILL POST THEM ONE AT A TIME. IF A WORKERS COMP DOCTOR RELEASES YOU TO RETURN TO WORK AT FULL DUTY, DESPITE YOUR OBJECTIONS AND COMPLAINTS OF PAIN AND SWELLING IN THE AREA WHERE THE DOCTOR HAD PERFORMED SURGERY ON YOU. AFTER CONSTANT COMPLAINTS AND VISITS TO NUMEROUS DOCTORS. I FOUND OUT THAT MY PROBLEMS WERE CAUSED BY SCAR TISSUE IN THE AREA WHERE THE FIRST DOCTOR HAD PERFORMED SURGERY ON ME. WHAT LEGAL OBLIGATIONS DID THIS SURGEON HAVE TO TREAT MY INJURY? WHAT LEGAL RECOURSE DO I HAVE FOR THE PAIN AND SUFFERING, LOSS WAGES, AND MOUNTING DOCTORS BILL THAT I HAVE INCURRED DUE TO THE NEGLIGENCE OF THIS SURGEON?

pt Guest

Scartissue,

You may have heard the saying, "SH.T..happens?" Well, so can scar tissue happen...after a surgical procedure(s)

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you, how un-comfortable or restricting that this residual can become, and too often IS.

Unfortunately; and for all of the counts you have listed, the "sole remedy" for an injured worker, will likely remain - within the confines of...Workers' Compensation.

Has a Dr. provided you with an RX for pain ? How about physical therapy sessions ? Provisions for ANY future medical ?

Unless and until another Dr. will address/support your complaints, I am at a loss to suggest any further options that you might pursue. Were you released at MMI ? How about a finding of impairment ?

In closing, I would suggest that you either DO speak with counsel, or at the very least.... discuss your concerns with a WC Rep where your Claim was heard/ determined.

Any additional specifics that you may care to offer, could also be helpful.

Good luck to you.

PT

edk Guest

Scartissue
    My attorney advised me that the wc judges love to see you TRY and work. When I was told i was IME by the wc doc....even though the treating doc still had a treatment plan we went to court. We said "sure i will try to work"....there was no job for me to go back to but my lawyer had said, "try, do what ever you can.....if you only make an hour a day that is OK, judges love to see you try"

As far as scar tissue goes....some people seem to lay down more that others after a surgical proceedure. I am not saying that a certain technique done improperly would not cause scar tissue; I am simply saying that many many people form scar tissue when nothing is done wrong, its simply the way they heal. I have seen people who had bile duct sugery form scar tissue that blocks off the pancreatic duct, blocking digestive juices from the stomach...nothing was done wrong, this person simply healed that way. It did take a long time for the Dr's to figure out what was wrong with her also.

I don't know where you are located in KS but the above mentioned attorney did good by me.

scartissue Guest

IS THERE AN ADVOCACY GROUP IN THE STATE OF KANSAS THAT HELP INURED WORKERS?