Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Does 'Controvert' Mean

Does this mean that w/c will cease benefits and denie all dr visits etc? I saw DR on 19th and thought decision for tx ordered was to be approved or denied based on DRs report. Dr said report would not even be dictated for a couple of days. Was denied tx once due to wording on Drs report. primary diag was ddd, did not address my arm pain tingling, shoulder/neck pain, cervical herniation low back pain/sciatica, etc. Of course in GA ddd is not compensable. Now I have started having sever pain to r side of head. Any opinions?:

Default Re: what does controvert mean?

controvert means to contradict your prior statement

Did you change what you said to your doctor because it sounds like that is what they are saying! I think I would ask them about that.

I also need to have surgery on my neck and I also have alot of pain in arm and in neck. I have had 2 surgeries on arm this year for tennis elbow and radial tunnel ( pinched nerve in arm) Now my company is fighting me saying DDD not work related.
    I will fight them to the end because I had an accident report on neck in 2004 and they treated me for my neck for three months.

Did you ever have a accident report for your neck?:

I was told that in this case controvert means that w/c is now denying my claim and stopping benefits because DR's primary diagnosis is DDD. No, I have never had any problems with my back, neck, or arm. This all occured due to work injury. My pcp happened to be the first DR I saw in this case. I have been in good health, taking no meds no complaints concerning any problems I have now. My pcp can verify that. The Neuro DR says I may have CTS but would not know for sure without further testing ( w/c denied), asked if cervical herniated disc might be causing all the problems in my arm/shoulder/hand. DR says no. I beg to differ, all I have read about cervical herniations list same symptoms. So what is their problem? I just want a definitive answer as to what is causing this. I feel I must fight as well. I will not be able to work like this, heck I rarely get any sleep. I hope you are successful in getting what you need to help you.

Full report about lower back and hand/arm/shoulder was given. I have not changed anything except how the arm thing has worsened.

Wink Re: what does controvert mean?

I had to get a lawyer to help me fight my case W/C does so many evil things to not have to pay. After they paid for my two arm surgeries now they are saying my arms are not work related. They also sent me for a IME and this doctor lied about everything I told him about pain. I got two different letters from comp , from the same doctor one says no heavy lifting , the other report says no restrictions. So I also went to my own doctor . He did an Mri and now I know all my arm problems are coming from my neck, I also had carpal tunnel surgeries done in the past on both arms.
    If it wasn,t for the MRI I don,t think I would of found out what was going on . I have disc space narrowing and stenosis, nerve root, and cord compression. The x-ray I had prior only showed the bones it can,t show nerves. Maybe thats what you need is an MRI
    Comp is saying DDD also I think they tell everyone that .

old lady,
    I also hope that you have a lawyer

I had 2 MRI's cervical showed herniation at c5-6 and c7-ti.without mass effect upon the cord or central canal stenosis.etc. This morning I have a new problem, ths muscles to the right side of my face are not working correctly. I have been having increasing neck/head pain for the past few days, now this. Can this be related to the herniated discs?
    No lawyer as yet, but I guess it is time to start looking.

Wink Re: what does controvert mean?

I get headaches in the back of my head, but I haven,t had the muscle problems in my face. You definately need to find out whats going on with your symptoms.
    You should find a workmans comp lawyer as soon as you can. I would not be without one. Mine has helped me out in answering so many questions, he has told me which doctors to see. He has given me a piece of mind when dealing with comp.
    I know I,m not much help, I don,t know alot about comp, I guess you could say I,m learning as I go. All I know is alot of people on this forum have helped me out soooo much. I just hope I can help someone else out.
    If you ever read any posts from CMJ, POOH,KNOWKNEES,UNDERCOVERANGEL,etc, their the smart ones they all have been through so much. Just reading their posts have taught me alot.

Quote Quoting oldlady View Post
    I had 2 MRI's cervical showed herniation at c5-6 and c7-ti.without mass effect upon the cord or central canal stenosis.etc. This morning I have a new problem, ths muscles to the right side of my face are not working correctly. I have been having increasing neck/head pain for the past few days, now this. Can this be related to the herniated discs?
    No lawyer as yet, but I guess it is time to start looking.
    Might want to have your PTP check for Bell's Palsy:

www.bellspalsy.ws

My Mother In Law had an attack with the same symptoms

Bells palsy is a condition that causes the facial muscles to weaken or become paralyzed. It's caused by trauma to the 7th cranial nerve, and is not permanent.

Approximately 50% of Bells palsy patients will have essentially complete recoveries in a short time. Another 35% will have good recoveries in less than a year.

Most people either wake up to find they have Bells palsy, or have symptoms such as a dry eye or tingling around their lips that progress to classic Bell's palsy during that same day. Occasionally symptoms may take a few days to be recognizable as Bells palsy. The degree of paralysis should peak within several days of onset - never in longer than 2 weeks (3 weeks maximum for Ramsey Hunt syndrome). A warning sign may be neck pain, or pain in or behind the ear prior to palsy, but it is not usually recognized in first-time cases.

Regardless of the trigger, Bell's palsy is best described as an event - trauma to the nerve. As with any other injury, healing follows. The quality and duration of recovery is dependent on the severity of the initial injury. If the nerve has suffered nothing more than a mild trauma, recovery can be very fast, taking several days to several weeks. An "average" recovery is likely to take between a few weeks and a few months. The nerve regenerates at a rate of approximately 1-2 millimeters per day, and can continue to regenerate for 18 months, probably even longer. Improvement of appearance can continue beyond that time frame.

The nerve that is injured with Bell's Palsy is CN-VII (7th cranial nerve). It originates in an area of the brain stem known as the Pons. The 7th nerve passes through the stylomastoid foramen and enters the parotid gland. It divides into its main branches inside the parotid gland. These branches then further divide into 7000 smaller nerve fibers that reach into the face, neck, salivary glands and the outer ear. The nerve controls the muscles of the neck, the forehead and facial expressions, as well as perceived sound volume. It also stimulates secretions of the lower jaw, the tear glands and the salivary glands in the front of the mouth. Taste sensations at the front 2/3 of the tongue and sensations at the outer ear are transmitted by the 7th nerve.

Bells Palsy is caused by an inflammation within a small bony tube called the fallopian canal. The canal is an extremely narrow area. An inflammation within it is likely to exert pressure on the nerve, compressing it. Likewise, if the nerve itself becomes inflamed within this small canal, it can encounter pressure, with the same result of compression. The nerve has not yet exited the skull and divided into its several branches, resulting in impairment of all functions controlled by the 7th nerve. If only part of the face is affected, the condition is not Bell's palsy. If, for example, the mouth area is weak but the forehead moves, Bells palsy is ruled out. Trauma induced by tumor, surgery, etc. can occur at a location where the nerve has already divided into its main branches. This type of trauma may spare one or more branches and allow some muscles to remain functional.