Michigan Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Michigan Workers

• Michigan Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Michigan Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    radiated Guest

Default Information Release Forms

I recently injured myself while at work (compound fracture of right lower leg) which required immediate surgery. I now find out that I will be out of work for at least three months and probably longer.
    My question is: The insurance company wants me to sign a medical release form that or should I say a release form that virtually gives them premission to go into every part of my past life both medically and otherwise to collect any and all information they feel like.
    This does not sound right to me. The workman's comp insurance company just shouldn't be able to pry into every aspect of my life like that should they?
    I would understand if they wanted all information concerning this particular incident but to givi them premission to look at anything that they want to seems somewhat over reaching to me.
    Maybe I am just being paranoid but I do need to look out for my own best interest.
    I appreciate any advice you might be able to provide me.
    Thank You

radiated Guest

I forgot to mention that I live in Michigan

anonmo1 Guest

Been there, someone once told me I was turning into Captian Quigley.

sacredwolf Guest

Radiated,

You are being asked to execute a voluntary "release." If they did not need you to "voluntarily" release this info. before they could legally obtain it, you probably would not have been asked to sign it.

Here in Ohio, they are not entitled to all that, but that does not mean that they won't try to play you for a sucker in getting you to execute a "voluntary release." The defense atty. in my claims tried that crap. Specifically told me that I was required to fill out a list of all healthcare providers on a separate form and then sign a blank "medical records" release.

I made copies of their "medical records" release and filled out each copy with applicable healthcare provider info. No way would they get a "blank" release to send to whomever they wanted to, so they could go on a fishing expedition. That was defense counsel's first clue that I was not to be trifled with. Never heard a peep out of them for my refusal to follow their specific instructions.

The answer to your question turns on the law of your state, so I don't know the answer for sure off the top of my head. You may want to contact the insurance regulatory branch for your state and ask them. I believe they will be able to thoroughly answer your question and address any concerns you may have.

I looked it up for you and here is a link to their website:

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-10555_13251_13262---,00.html

-Wolf

sacredwolf Guest

The Ombud's office of BWC here in Ohio, had no problem telling me that it was not necessary to complete defense counsel's demanded "blank" release.

The following is a link to the Michigan BWC question/answer line:

http://www.michigan.gov/wca/0,1607,7-191-27209-79003--,00.html

-Wolf

radiated Guest

Thanks for your input SacredWolf. I went to both sites you listed in your two respones and in the first one I was able to leave a question concerning my original question posted here. The second site was not much help as far as I could tell. Overwhelming is probably the right word. Maybe what I needed was there in front of my face but I couldn't see it because of all the other stuff that was in front of my face.
    Thanks again and if you have any more suggestions or helpful hints to this problem please feel free to post. All help is appreciated.

sacredwolf Guest

radiated,

You are welcome and best wishes.

-Wolf

cop24 Guest

They tried the same thing with me, but luckily I had a lawyer who told me in no uncertain terms "Do not sign anything from them, if they need your medical info they can depo you and we can get them specifically what they need. They have no reason to see every single thing in your medical files for the past 10 years." He was right, I never signed, eventually they depoed..in fact we finish the depo this week, and I gave them all related med files and anything in my past I thought would be related, but nothing more..and that was fine. Good lucck.

ronjones Guest

I signed so they could get my records thought it might help my private doc had emg,mri.cat and mylogram done so I signed it then my doc wouldnt release it anyway said he is not wc provider I talked to him and they sent only what I told them to. still hasnt helped trying to get additional condition allowed herniated disc 6 mo.
    EVEN IF YOU HAD A PRE-EXSISTING PROBLEM THEY AGGREVATED IT! and know you are in wc <FONT COLOR="ff0000">••••</FONT> burden of proof if they can prove preexsisting cond they will fight you. <FONT COLOR="ff0000">••••</FONT> they will fight you no matter what if you are going to there doctor go get a lawyer now and get a new doctor. if you give up they win

pooh Guest

ron they will fight you even if they don&#39;t have proof of a pre-exisiting condition - all it takes is one of their doctors to say pre-existing without proof and that&#39;s all they need - so don&#39;t give up your rights