Connecticut Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Connecticut Workers

• Connecticut Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Connecticut Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    very Guest

Default Employer Doesn't Want Injured Worker To File A Comp Claim

THE LAST THING I NEED THESE DAYS ARE MORE PROBLEMS
    BUT THAT IS WHAT IS COMING MY WAY I FEAR. FIRST I USED TO DELIVER FURNITURE FOR A LIVING. IN SEPT 05
    WHILE DOING A DELIVERY I WAS CARRING A DRESSER UP STAIRS WITH A CO-WORKER AND FELL AND DID DAMAGE TO MY SHOULDER. IN NOV OF 05 I HAD SURGERY FOR A TORN LABRUM AND FRAYING OF THE ROTATOR CUFF. I HAVE BEEN GOING TO PT SINCE NOV 27 05. 12 DAYS AFTER SURGERY. WHILE I HAVE GAINED R.O.M BACK TO A POINT AND ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10 PAIN DURING PT IS AT A 4 I AM NOT GAINING ANY OF THE STRENGHT BACK. MY DOCTOR HAS TOLD ME THAT I MOSTLIKELY WILL NEVER DO THE SAME WORK AS I DID. HE FEELS THAT THE AREA IS TO BRITTLE AND I HAVE THAT IN WRITING FROM HIM. HE HAS NOT MMI ME BUT SAID MY RESTRICTION WILL BE NO REPETIVE LIFTING OVER 20 POUNDS, NO REACHING OVER R/SHOULDER LIMITED USE OF R/ ARM.

THE REAL PROBLEMS I FEAR ARE TO COME. THE COMPANY CAN NOT PROVIDE LIGHT DUTY AND THEREFORE WILL RELEASE ME FROM EMPLOYMENT, SECONDLY I FOUND
    OUT THAT MY CO-WORKER ON THAT DAY WAS OFF THE BOOKS(PAID UNDER THE TABLE). NOW I FOUND OUT THAT THEY DROPPED MY MEDICAL COVERAGE FOR MY FAMILY AFTER A SIGNED LETTER STATING THEY WOULD CONTINUE
    COVERAGE.

MY EMPLOYER HAS ASKED THAT I NOT FILE A CLAIM BECAUSE HE COULD GET IN TROUBLE FOR PAYING MY CO-WORKER OFF THE BOOKS HE ALSO SAID HE WOULD HELP ME FIND ANOTHER JOB IF I CAN NOT RETURN.

THIS HAS NO BEARING BUT I AM NOT AN EDUCATED PERSON I HAVE BEEN DOING MANUEL LABOR ALL MY LIFE TO PROVIDE FOR MY FAMILY. I QUIT SCHOOL IN 11 GRADE TO HELP SUPPROT MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS CAUSE FATHER DIED IN CAR ACCEDENT. I NEVER ASKED FOR ANYTHING FROM ANYONE AND ALWAYS WORKED TO PROVIDE FOR MY LOVE ONES NOW I NEED HELP AND I GET THE SHAFT. I HAVE SPOKEN TO A LAWYER BUT HE SAID THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO TILL AFTER I AM MMI BY THE DOCTOR.

CAN ANYONE OFFER ADVISE ON WHAT I CAN DO
    VERY CONFUSED

anon2600 Guest

You don't say what state you are in, but in most it is mandatory that the ER carry WC insurance. Your ER is breaking the law not only by not having insurance, paying the other man under the table, but in asking you to break the law also by not filing a claim for benefits. WHAT will you do if your ER no longer pays for your treatment, or IF there is long term PD as a result of your work related injury..? File a claim. IF your ER does not have WC coverage, most states have a fund that covers this issue.

As you have seen an attorney, his advise is the best but it wouldn't hurt to ask another one where you stand and what you are entitled to.

very Guest

I AM IN NEW JERSEY AND I GUESS I WASN'T CLEAR BUT EMPLOYER DOES HAVE WC AND THE IC HAS BEEN PAYING FOR EVERYTHING EMPLOYER DOESN'T WANT ME TO FILE THE CLAIM FOR COURT

VERY CONFUSED

mj Guest

I don't understand how the I/C is paying for everything but there is no claim? Believe me it's hard enough to get the I/C to pay for what they should on a open claim, something does not sound right there. First off check and see if actually your ER has been sending all the bills to your personal health insurance prior to cancelling it. Thats what my employer was doing.

I Would also obtain an Attorney FAST... Your employer may be acting sweet and kind for now, but that will not last. Something to think about, THEY DON'T CARE. Not the ER, W/C, I/C or their attorneys. I thought the same thing how nice my employer was to tell me they would take care of everything, not to worry etc... But once I was out of the hospital they laid the ax down and started playing games with me.

There is a statue of limitations on filing a claim, I would definatley check into this and fast, because once you file a W/C claim it could take months (6 months on my part) to receive any type of income. And thats when the games start.

Good luck

mm Guest

Very confused,
    The best advice that I can give you is to get a WC Attorney, they specialize in this area and they know the laws. As far as your employer, why he is asking you not to file a claim is beyond me, because that has obviously already happened. Is he talking about a third party suit or something? Confusing. I agree with everyone above, your employer seems nicey nicey now...watch out. You really need to think of your best interests at this time. I sustained a large thick labrum tear while at work too, I ended up having surgery to remove 98% of it, and they reduced the bone where the labrum was. I have marked ROM loss, pain, and can seriously say I know what your going through. I have been in PT for 3 months with minimal improvement, and now they are sending me to water therapy. I too can no longer return to my previous career, and they tell me I am only allowed to office work. I would suggest that you find out from the IC if there's any type of rehab. to train you for a new career. I have been attending college for the last few months now, and am trying to get "VESID" (NY disability training program) to pay for part of my education. I just figured I have to do what I have to do, and get on with my life. A lot of IW's don't have that advantage because their injuries are so bad...I try to count my blessings and keep positive about everything that has happened in my life since my injury. There is hope. Hang in there, call another attorney. You won't be at MMI for at least a year after your injury/surgery date, it's standard procedure. Good luck.

very Guest

PLEASE FORGIVE ME ALL BUT WHEN I SAID EMPLOYER DOESN'T WANT ME TO FILE A CLAIM I MAYBE MISTAKEN ON THIS PART MY LACK OF EDUCATION IS SHOWING.
    I HAVE AN INSURANCE COMPANY PAYING FOR MEDICAL AND BI-WEEKLY PAYMENTS WHAT I WAS REFERING TO IS THE CLAIM AFTER I AM M.M.I.. WHEN YOU GO FOR A SETTLEMENT ON YOUR CLAIM. THE IC IS AMERI-HEALTH OUT OF PHILADELPHIA PA AND THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE TO DEAL WITH AS ALL MOST LIKELY ARE. OUT TO SAVE A BUCK ANY WAY THEY CAN.

THE NEWEST TWISTED IN THIS SORTED AFFAIR HAPPENED YESTERDAY WHEN I CALLED TO SEE IF THERE WAS A DELAY ON CHECKS BEING MAILED CAUSED I DIDN'T RECIEVE MINE ON FRIDAY. I WAS TOLD BENIFITS WHERE STOPPED BECAUSE IN APRIL I MISSED A PT APPOINTMENT FOR WHAT THEY CALLED AN UNEXCUSABLE ABSENT. UNEXCUSABLE A FUNERAL PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK. THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE. WELL AFTER THREATING TO HIRE A LAWYER THE SUPERVISOR CALLED ME AND TOLD ME THEY WHERE CUTTING ME A CHECK AND MAILING IT OUT TO ME BUT I HAVE TO GO TO PT AND NOT MISS FOR ANY REASONS OR THEY WOULD STOP BENIFITS FOR GOOD.

I KNOW THE I/C ARE HEARTLESS, AND I SHOULDN'T EXPECT THEM TO CARE AND I DON'T. I GO TO PT 4 TIMES A WEEK FOR UP TO 3 HOURS A SESSION. SOMETHING CALLED WORKHARDENING WHAT EVER THAT IS.
    I HAVE TO PAY $160. A WEEK FOR CHILD CARE. I HAVE A 4 YR DAUGHTER WITH DOWN SYNDROM.I TRAVEL OVER AN HOUR TO THE PT OFFICE AND THAT IS USING THE TURNPIKE IN NEW JERSEY I LIVE ON THE JERSEY SHORE AND HAVE TO TRAVEL TO CAMDEN FOR PT.
    I HAD A F.C.E DONE ON MAY 8 AND WAS TOLD THEN THERE IS 60% LOSS ROM THAT WILL NOT COME BACK AND THAT I HAVE TO EXPLORE OTHER OPTION IN LIFE.

WHAT OTHER OPTIONS ARE THERE OTHER THEN WORKING TO PROVIDE FOR MY FAMILY. CAN'T GO TO COLLEGE AND NOT SKILLED TO WORK IN A OFFICE SO THE OLD CATCH 22 DAMNED IF I DO, DAMNED IF I DON'T.

THERE IS A LOT MORE TO THE STORY BUT EVERYONE HAS HEARD THEM ALL BEFORE THE HARDSHIPPED INJURIES CAUSE FAMILIES THE DEPRESSION AND HEPLESS FEELINGS AND THE CONSTITANCE ANNOYING FRIENDS AND FAMILY ABOUT THE NIGHTMARE THE I/C ARE PUTTING YOU THROUGH. IT IS JUST GOOD TO HAVE A PLACE THAT INJURED, CONFUSED, FED-UP, AND PEOPLE CAN COME FOR ADVISE AND FOR A SHOULDER TO VENT YOUR ANGER AND FRUSTRATION OUT.

I STILL AM;
    VERY CONFUSED

knowknees Guest

It is a nightmare and you will most likely stay very confused. Your Attorney was right, when he said he really can't "get the ball rolling" until after you've been declared MMI. Once you have stopped seeing Dr's relating to the W/C injury, this would be the time to hire an Attorney, if you opt to.

When this happens he/she will be able to gather all the Medical Documentation and make a case for you, since it sounds like you are going to receive some sort of Permanent Impairment due to your work injury.

Unless your shady ER is going to give you some sort of huge settlement "under the table" which seems to be his tendencies, I wouldn't give a rats a$$ about who or whom you offend by filing a W/C suit. This is when, based on your education, you will need an Attorney. You need to stay compliant and track every single dime you are spending on travel, medication, child care, etc....Anything that has to do with your injury and loss of money caused by it. Then once you go to court (If it gets that far) you and your Attorney can try and re-coop the monies you have spent 'out-of-pocket' due to your work injury.

There is no "quick-fix" when it comes to W/C no matter what State you live in. It is a long drawn out process. Give your 4 yr. old daughter a big old hug from me. Your friend...Greg

diditagain Guest

I said there really isn't much an Attorney can do for you at this point. That is unless they (IC) stop treating you or depriving you of the Medical attention, or financial attention you deserve by law.

very Guest

THANKS FOR ALL IT IS JUST SO FRUSTRATING. I LOOK FOR ANSWERS AND FIND MORE QUESTIONS. NOT SAYING I QUESTION ANY COMMENT MADE HERE JUST ABOUT THE WHOLE PROCESS ITSELF. LIKE AFTER NOTIFING ER OF INJURY HAVING TO FINISH THE DAY OUT WITH INJURED SHOULDER, LIKE CO-WORKER NOT ON THE BOOKS, BEING TOLD HE WILL DENY WORKING FOR THE COMPANY IF HE IS REQUESTED TO GO TO COURT, SUCH A F***ING MESS.

CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING LEGAL ABOUT THESE ISSUES LAWYER SAID HEAL FIRST BUT IT IS FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST. FOR PEOPLE TO SAY I HAVE THIS LEGAL RIGHT THAT LEGAL RIGHT AND EVERYTHING ALMOST IN BETWEEN. THE ONLY RIGHTS I FEEL I HAVE IS THE RIGHT TO BE CONFUSED, THE RIGHT TO BE FRUSTRATED, RIGHT TO BE HEPLESS TO PHYICALLY CARE FOR MY FAMILY, THE RIGHT TO BE DEPRESSED ALL THE TIME. ALSO LASTLY BUT MOSTLY THE RIGHT TO FEEL LIKE THE I/C IS ABLE TO CONTROL AND RUN MY LIFE AS THEY SEE FIT NOT AS IT NEEDS TO BE.

I KNOW MY RAMBLINGS ARE COMMON AND DON'T DIFFER FROM OTHER BUT THESE ARE HOW I FEEL AND IT FEELS HOPELESS. THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS FADING FROM SIGHT AND I CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT.

STILL
    VERY CONFUSED

very Guest

KNOWKNEES I GAVE HER THAT HUG

VERY CONFUSED