Thread: IME appointment

Default IME appointment

My husband has an appointment with an IME next week. What should we expect? What do we need to bring with us? Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: IME appointment

Do you have a lawyer? My lawyer told me NOT to bring anything with me. He said to "Let them get the records/test resutls they want to look at".
    Answer ONLY the questions they ask you and WAIT for them to ask you the questions (DON'T volunteer any extra or unnecessary info). Tell the truth. If you aren't sure of an answer make sure you say "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" or "I don't remember".
    A lot of people said to bring someone with you to the exam. My attorney told me NOT to bring anyone in the exam room with me because although you can use them as a witness, then it opens the door for them to also question this person....it could just add more problems.
    DON'T drug yourself up. You need to know as well as the exam doctor where and how you hurt. Don't arrive too early for your appointment...you don't want to be sitting in the waiting room for any length of time...but be on time.
    Have a notebook ready out in your vehicle and before you ever leave the parking lot, take notes of EVERYTHING you can remember (Exact time you arrived, exact time the doctor took you into the exam room. How many minutes were spent on talking? How many minutes were spent on physically examining you? What questions were asked? What answers you gave, what time the doctor ended the exam? Did the doctor look at any of your records while you were in there? Did the doctor take notes?) All of these things could be very important later in court.
    Don't be nervous....it's not as bad as you think it might be. So far, I've had 2 IME's...both were MUCH easier than even going to my regular doctors or dealing with the case nurse. BUT...remember, the IME doctor was hired by "the other side" and they certainly aren't there to HELP you medically or do you any favors so DON'T volunteer anything more than you need to. This exam is to find ways to LOWER you rating and future medical.
    Good luck!

Unregistered Guest

Me again...I forgot to mention to bring your medication with you so you can let the doctor just read the bottles instead of trying to remember or tell the doctor what you take and how much.

This IME was set up by our lawyer because WC has already stoppped everything...checks, medical and have even gone so far as to claim that my husband was released to go back to work without restrictions a year ago and they have overpaid him(like anyone will belive that WC will overpay anybody!).

He was supposedly released for work at the same time that the doctors at Emory were examining him. We didn't even get a diagnosis until Feb of this year.

Nancy

If it was set up by your attorney then your attorney should send all records to the IME doctor - you should contact the attorney to see if you need to pick up films (x-rays, mri's, etc) to take with you. I had my ct and more recent x-rays mailed to him - he had looked at those - so he didn't need to look at old mri's of the shoulders.

There will be paperwork to fill out when you go in - just like for any dr appointment - this will be more for the injury. How it happened, etc. What previous injuries you have had, what doctors you have seen so far, medications he is on and for what.

The doctor will ask him how the accident happened and probably ask him to explain what he was doing at the time it happened.

Again - NO pain meds the day of the exam this is important because the IME doctor needs to see what the pain levels are without being masked by drugs - also he will get a better picture of the range of motion when he does those tests.

Since your attorney set this up - expect to spend a while with the doctor - it may not be an in and out exam. (I think mine was 2 1/2 hours and trust me I was hurting by the time I was done, but was hurting when I got there just from the drive up as far as lower back went as well ....... lol)

If you go with your hubby to the appointment - you don't have to go in with him - you could just go to drive him there and home again since you may not know how long it will last. Or you can talk to the attorney about going in with him. Every attorney is different.

Sounds like the attorney is having the IME to get the medical restarted again and get your hubby pulled out of work again and a court date will hopefully follow soon. Good luck on that.

Thanks Pooh,

We'll call the attorney today and make sure we have all of our ducks in a row.

ronjohio Guest

I went for a IME anziety and depression 3.5 hrs and I am shocked he said that anziety was aggravation of pre-exsistion and that depression was caused by work injury WOW a good guy I feel like he earned his $500.
    Hey and get this BWC said it was agrevation of anziety too. I have to put in for the depression. But just hopefully hired a good attorney (John Goodman)
    will see how it goes.

Of course employer is appealing the decision (belle tire) looks like another Year of appeals hope I'm up for it. Fighting with from day 1 nov 2003 our aniversery only three years about 18 denials or more recieve TT 6 mo and then order vacated caused overpayment I Owe $8500 recieve $5300. No more earned income I cant work Loss of $120000 Im doing great My wife is the best and 4 kids are good kids there the ones doing without I feel bad they deserve more from thier Dad thanks belle tire u suck

stick.lawrence@gmail.com Guest

Quote Quoting nancy View Post
    My husband has an appointment with an IME next week. What should we expect? What do we need to bring with us? Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
    take your attorney with you if possible - video tape and or record your session
    ime's are disclaimers and more often than not lie every chance they get. there
    is no sense of becomming upset with these people if you do your home work.