Default What is a Peer Review

Hi all,

I have CTS in both hands. Had CT and DeQuervains release surgery on my right (Severe CTS) hand back on May 16, 2006. Reached MMI and got an impairment rating of 2%. I had problems beginning several months ago, Treating Doctor tried various things to relieve pain and swelling in my wrist and palm. Nothing worked. He was concerned about the swelling and sent me for an MRI. (Left hand is just waiting for the right to be healed before any surgery) MRI showed a Giant Cell Tumor in the palm of my hand. Dr. sent me for a second opinion to ensure it was actually a Giant Cell Tumor. 2nd Dr. agreed it was and also discussed the other issues since he said my current problems with pain, numbness, swelling, dropping things etc were not caused by the tumor. I am going for a 2nd EMG w/ needles on Friday March 9th. I found out that Sedgwick CMS - workers comp adjuster, is requesting a Peer review to see if the tumor is related to my repetative injury. TD said it was probably there b/4 my surgery and could be the result of a repetative injury, 2nd doctor (TC partner) said it was not work related...related to the CTS.
    My real question is what exactly is a peer review, do I need to attend or do I need to have some representation present? I am lost and don't want to get screwed by Workers Comp. So far I think I have been treated OK, but that can change.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Elfi in Texas

Default Re: What exactly is a Peer Review

peer review technically is any review of one doctor's treatment plan by another doctor or group of doctors.
    You can read more about the use of peer review by the texas work comp system here
    http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wc/rules/...aorder0706.pdf

Thank you. I appreciate your responding.

Elfi

Yes in Texas get REPRESENTATION! Once your given a peer review and that doctor goes against your doctor's opinion your done. Only representation either by Ombudsperson through Office of Injured Employee Counsel, or a lawyer, get representation. Good luck email me for my "story."
    Also in Texas