Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Can You Record An IME

I have my 1st independant medical examination coming up and i was wondering if i can legally audio or video tape it. Secondly is it a good idea as it is likely tick off the doctor. From what ive read and heard its likely he will be trying to screw me anyhow.Any advice or input is appreciated,by the way I'm in state of ME thanks

Default Re: Can I do this?

This is always a touchy subject. Generally you will need the doctor's permission to video tape or use a recorder during the examination. If you are represented this is a good question to pose to your attorney. You may want to call the doctor and ask him if he will allow this. If you wait until the day of the exam and he refuses to see you if you insist on taping the carrier may use it against you by saying you are now failing to cooperate. In lieu of taping take a witness with you. Good luck.

thanks, i am trying to get an atty but all i talk to aren't interested since WC is paying at this point. i think the insurance ppl are sending me to the IME to try to stop paying so im trying to minimize the damage this guy may be able to do in the future if he is a scum i appreciate your response nonetheless

Take someone with you, that in actions, dressed etc, very professional looking. Even a brief case if you have one. And let them take notes etc.
    *get with the person before and brain storm questions etc.*
    Last edited by whatever; 03-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.

good idea thanks

Smile Re: Can I do this?

damagedgoods,
    Look up Taping for your state and see what your state laws are because they all differ. The sugestion of taking someone with you is great also.....but, I have done this and the person was not asked to leave the room but ordered out of the room. Guess a doctor can do whatever they want! Check you state laws on Taping. Good Luck!
    MJC

Cant someone have a family , or confidant for support at meetings etc?

Just dont see why a person cant be there, I would go for it. Always if can have extra ears for things you forget.

Thanks for the tips guys. i'm going to bring someone and record w/o his knowledge since maine is apparently a 1 person consent state if anyone wants to know if they can record i found a website that lists all states, maybe it can help http://www.rcfp.org/taping/quick.html I also did a search for the Dr. i'm seeing and his website is an advertisement!!!! Quote from site" I plan to devote the bulk of my time to the performance of Independent Medical Examinations. As an Independent Medical Examiner, I will discuss each case with my client, to determine the client's needs for that particular case and will provide a thorough, impartial Independent Medical Examination on a timely basis. I will provide my client with a fee schedule and payment policy and will be prepared to testify on the behalf of my client." Gee wiz I wonder how this will go

Lightbulb Re: Can I do this?

Hi damaged. I wasn't sure what you meant about your taping laws. You mean you can tape someone without their knowledge in your state and it's admissible in Court? WOW, In Pa. we have to let them know if it's being taped and if they disagree, we can't tape them. Having someone with you is a great idea as the others have said, I had my wife with me and she took notes. It probably won't stop them from stretching the truth to benefit the i/c, but the Judges know how they are and usually take these i/c bought IME's with a grain of salt. As long as you have sound Medical evidence behind your case you should be fine, I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know how things go!!