Default TTD and Working Part-Time

I have been on TTD for almost 19 months now from a back injury at work. I had 2 back surgeries. My previous job as general manager has been replaced at work but my employer told the nurse case manager that he will create a part time position for me when I am ready to return. I will only work 12-15 hours per week earning 125-150.00 per week part time. My base salary as gen. manager was 1000.00 per week. Does work comp have to pay me the 66 2/3 differencial between what I was making and what my new job pays? If so how long does this last, is it for life ?

Default Re: TTD & working part time

mind you iam not a lawer or an expert but when work had me on part time work comp sent me nothing to subsidise the diffrence i hope its diffrent for you good luck

Depends on the state you are in. Please elaborate.

I am from Illinois. I will probably return to work 12-15 hours per week with restrictions from the doc. I will not reach MMI until at least November. If I return to work before MMI does work comp have to pay the pay difference between what I was making when I was injured and what I will be making now? My original job has been replaced and only a part time job is available now.

Exclamation Re: TTD & working part time

Just my opinion, but you should receive 66 2/3% of your previous wage, or max whichever is higher, but only for the time you work. I can't see them paying you the full amount of TTD for only working part time. If that was the case, why would you they want you back at work? They could hire another person for a whole lot less. I think this is their first step of reducing your TTD and getting you out of their w/c system. If you don't have a w/c certified attorney, you better get busy and get one because the games are about to begin!! I can't stress enough that w/c is not a road to be traveled alone, and no matter how nice they may seem, your best interest is not their number 1 goal. Their profit is and you have to know and protect your rights!!

Last year when I returned to work part-time I was paid for the time I worked and the difference was paid for by work comp, I had work restrictions and still under the dr care. Once my I was released from dr care the wc checks stopped. This was in Kansas.

Quote Quoting maw19531 View Post
    I have been on TTD for almost 19 months now from a back injury at work. I had 2 back surgeries. My previous job as general manager has been replaced at work but my employer told the nurse case manager that he will create a part time position for me when I am ready to return. I will only work 12-15 hours per week earning 125-150.00 per week part time. My base salary as gen. manager was 1000.00 per week. Does work comp have to pay me the 66 2/3 differencial between what I was making and what my new job pays? If so how long does this last, is it for life ?
    I'm in Ky so my opinion is what I know of Ky laws. If you're at TTD and start working part Time then they have to pay the Difference at 66% of your wage before the injury and what you're making now until your doctor deems you at MMI. at this Time the Doc will also give you a permanent impairment rating if so prescribed. In this instance you will receive payments on the scale determined by your State no matter what you make, unless it's more than what you where making at the Time of injury. There's no way to say how much that will be until you get a permanent impairment rating, but while you're on TTD it will be 66% of your average wage discounting the money you're making at your part Time job. It's not really fair because they deduct the gross wage you're making now from the 66% amount they came up with for the W/C benefit. So by working the part Time job you'll come out worse money wise. If your average was $1000.00 a Week then you're getting the max which in Ky is around $664.00 a Week, not close to what you took Home.
    If you're gross pay is $150.00 a Week then they will deduct that from the $660.00 leaving you with a W/C benefit Check of $510.00 a Week. Remember that they will take the before tax wage you're making so if $150.00 is take Home then you need to re calculate using your gross wage instead. If at the end your Doc says you're at MMI with no Permanent Disability rating and no work restrictions then the W/C payments will stop.
    Hope this helps. With the pain I'm in I don't think as clear as I used to.
    Last edited by kentuckyranger; 04-30-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Quoting kentuckyranger View Post
    I'm in Ky so my opinion is what I know of Ky laws. If you're at TTD and start working part Time then they have to pay the Difference at 66% of your wage before the injury and what you're making now until your doctor deems you at MMI. at this Time the Doc will also give you a permanent impairment rating if so prescribed. In this instance you will receive payments on the scale determined by your State no matter what you make, unless it's more than what you where making at the Time of injury. There's no way to say how much that will be until you get a permanent impairment rating, but while you're on TTD it will be 66% of your average wage discounting the money you're making at your part Time job. It's not really fair because they deduct the gross wage you're making now from the 66% amount they came up with for the W/C benefit. So by working the part Time job you'll come out worse money wise. If your average was $1000.00 a Week then you're getting the max which in Ky is around $664.00 a Week, not close to what you took Home.
    If you're gross pay is $150.00 a Week then they will deduct that from the $660.00 leaving you with a W/C benefit Check of $510.00 a Week. Remember that they will take the before tax wage you're making so if $150.00 is take Home then you need to re calculate using your gross wage instead. If $150 If at the end your Doc says you're at MMI with no Permanent Disability rating and no work restrictions then the W/C payments will stop.
    Hope this helps. With the pain I'm in I don't think as clear as I used to.
    I should also add a few things here. If your gross wage is $150.00 a Week then after taxes you take Home around $50.00 That means that with the adjusted W/C benefits you'll be making $560.00 instead of the $660.00 before you got the part Time job. Most Co's create "modified work" so workers will come in. When the worker shows they can't do the work it makes it easier for the Co to fire the employee. Don't freak out, Your Co might not be doing this but most do. Mine tried and I refused. They wanted me to come in and sit in a Chair looking at Files knowing I was in so much pain that I wouldn't be able to do it. That way they get around the FMLA rules and can let you go without ramifications.
    I thought about it but after crunching the Numbers it spooked me because I would be making even less than what W/C was paying and I'm not rich by no means. When it comes to taking care of my Family I crunch Numbers all the time. After my injury I had to adjust our Family budget over the difference in money and I sure wasn't going to get hurt even worse over it.
    Keep a lookout and don't let them get away with anything!