Default How Long To Wait For An MRI

I posted a question about my shoulder injury. This is related to that.

I thought my appointment for tomorrow was for an MRI, but it turns out it's just for a doctor visit. So I was injured on the 11th and still no MRI on the 31st.

My last injury to my knee, they did an MRI very soon. The damage was clear and so was the cause and effect. It was properly handled all along. Some years back I had a knee injury on the other knee and they did not do an MRI for months, and the result was it was clearly damaged but there was no way to tell if the damage was directly related to my fall or not because there had been deterioration. And that one did not turn out well at all as far as workers' comp.

So it will already be three weeks and X-ray but no MRI, does that sound right? Do they sometimes wait that long? Should I try to demand it right away? Hopefully they will tell me something tomorrow, and I hope it isn't to wait some more.

Lightbulb Re: How Long To Wait For MRI?

Have you asked for an MRI? Many times they wait until they can get the inflammation under control before one. It took 4 wks. of PT just before I was able to lay on my back long enough for one of my spine, my muscles were so tight. I would ask them, maybe they don't need an MRI to diagnosis your injury. Best of Luck!

Default Re: How Long To Wait For MRI?

Fishman, are you seeing doc of your choice or are you still with work place health(employers doc) or something similiar? If you have waited the allotted time to do so(10days inMaine). I had to got omy FP and ask her to order an MRI. The employers doc told me that there was no need for an MRI because I had no symptoms to warrant such testing. Are you joking me, I thought? The doc at the ER went out of his way to tell me that if i were "his patient", I would be having an MRI that day. He said that due to the symptoms i was describing, I more than likely had a disk injury and what do ya know,2 weeks later I find out on my MRI through my FP that I have herniated disks and various other things going on . The work doc had his mind made up before I even saw him I think. What a jerk! The work doc told me that he had NEVER heard of anyone having pain in their ass or hips from their back being injured. Bastard. I have done research since and have coem across info that claims back injuries can cause hip pain. I wanted to email it to the jerk. Good Luck and make sure you get an opinion you can trust and not one that is biased. But you know what? I guess an IME, which is what everyone has to see at some point in their comp case is absolutely biased don't ya think? So where does that leave us my injured friend?

Default Re: How Long To Wait For MRI?

Quote Quoting TheFishman View Post
    I posted a question about my shoulder injury. This is related to that.

I thought my appointment for tomorrow was for an MRI, but it turns out it's just for a doctor visit. So I was injured on the 11th and still no MRI on the 31st.

My last injury to my knee, they did an MRI very soon. The damage was clear and so was the cause and effect. It was properly handled all along. Some years back I had a knee injury on the other knee and they did not do an MRI for months, and the result was it was clearly damaged but there was no way to tell if the damage was directly related to my fall or not because there had been deterioration. And that one did not turn out well at all as far as workers' comp.

So it will already be three weeks and X-ray but no MRI, does that sound right? Do they sometimes wait that long? Should I try to demand it right away? Hopefully they will tell me something tomorrow, and I hope it isn't to wait some more.
    Demand an MRI! I posted on here a while back "A Picture is worth a Thousand Words" I caught some flack over it but the bottom line is you need to get all you can now to show the severity of injury. The less proof of the injury you have the more power the W/C I/C has to dispute the claim. X-Rays only show a limited view of what's going on, it can't show tissue damage like an MRI. Make sure it's a good MRI.
    Don't go to the MRI Store at the strip Mall. Go to a reputable Hospital with a real closed MRI unit. The MRI Stores buy cheaper equipment with claims like come in and get an open MRI! It's comfortable and cheaper than the Hospital. Come in now and get $50 off, hurry in now!
    Just close your Eyes, put the Ear Plugs in and think happy thoughts, you'll get much better results. It's like having a Picture taken. Do you want your buddy taking it with His Wal Mart 2 Mega Pixel camera or a professional Photographer with a 10 Mega Pixel Camera? Make sure you get to chose and chose wisely.