Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Mutual

Default Liberty Mutual

I am a 28 year old healthy woman and I had a filing cabinet fall on my whole body at work. I went to the ER and they said that nothing was broken. I then went to the work comp doctor and he stated that I have a cervical sprain, ankle sprain and knee sprain and ordered physical therapy for about 4 weeks. The pain in my knee was not getting any better and they scheduled me for an MRI. I went to see their ortho doctor and she told me that nothing was wrong with me and that I need to go back to work meanwhile I am on crutches due to my knee and she said that I need to be off of them. So I called my workers comp insurance company Liberty Mutual and told them that I needed a second opinion and they sent me to another doctor that told me that I have brusing and swelling and I may have torn a ligament but he gave me a cortizone shot and a couple more weeks of PT then surgery. Meanwhile, I was working 20 hours a week from home and my boss decreased that to 10 hours a week and now to 0. I was told that there isn't anywork within my restrictions and I would be able to collect workers comp. Well, now my work is down to 8 hours a week with no benefits. I called the case worker from workers comp and she told me that they were going to deny my claim because I didn't show up for an MRI. When I called to scheudle the MRI they told me that my case was closed. I called her back and she basically made a lier out of me. I have taken a picture of my caller ID when the doctors office called to schedule the MRI. The 2nd opinion doc has me off work for another 6 weeks. I called my attorney and have a consultation with her on Thursday. Any advice about what I can do to make this situation better would be beneficial. Additionally, the case worker told me that there was nothing wrong with me and I need to go back to work. What are my options?

Default Re: Liberty Mutual

Appeal the denial to the work comp court.
    You may be able to use your helath insurance while the case is being disputed.
    Different states have different procedures and different resouces available to it's citizens. Without knowing yours it's difficult to be more specific.

Hey truth, sorry you are having such a rough go of it. You have already done the best thing that you can do for yourself in getting an attorney. Let her advise you as to what to do next. I hope you are hiring an attorney that specializes in WC law, one that you are familiar with and/or had a reliable referral to. Be real careful using a firm that has a lot of tv advertising. Can't swear that they can't/won't help you but it is my understanding that they spend so much money on advertising that they have to take on a mountain of claims that are rushed through to settlement just to keep up with the cost of advertising. I have been told that the big box firms don't often give clients the best representation and they that are not often available if you have questions. I can't swear to this as it is afterall hearsay and not from my personal experience. In the mean time keep very detailed records of anything to do with your injuries. Set up a file or binder and keep it well organized. Journal daily as to how you are feeling make sure you date each entry. Keep a log of your pain and what causes it to increase or helps to ease it up. keep a written log of all phone calls whether it is to a doctor, radiologist, caseworker, employer, or otherwise if it is in connection to your injury or job. If you have out of pocket expenses for prescriptions or anything else the doctor has order get & keep those receipts. Keep track of all your mileage in seeking treatment for your WC injury, trips to the doctor, pharmacy, radiology, lab, physical therapy or otherwise. Keep receipts for tolls or parking. Get receipts if you use public transportation. Once things are in order with your claim you will be entitled to reimbursement for these miles/expenses but you will need the receipts and mileage logs.

AS for the caseworker, where did she get her medical degree? It is my understanding that the doctor makes the determination as to when, if, and what kind of work you can do and for how many hours a day you can do it, based on his/her medical opinion of your condition. Don't let the CS bully you into anything. I can see where she might be confused as one doctor tells you nothing is wrong and another wants to do surgery. She needs to take the most recent information given to her from the approved physician.

Go to your states WC website and educate yourself as to what the laws in your state are. Verify all information you are given with those statues pertaining to your state as all states have somewhat different laws/statues concerning WC. Some things are universal nationwide but each state has their own rules. Google "your state workers compensation" and follow the link to your state. Most of the web sites I have been to are written in fairly plain language and are quite easy to understand even in our deminished capacities .........What ever you do DO NOT attempt to use your personal insurance to cover your work related injuries unless your attorney advises you to do so. This can cause one heck of a mess for yourself that can be hard to undo unless done so on the advise of your attorney and even then I would be skeptical.

Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out for you.

Steel
    Last edited by SteelMagnolia; 06-11-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Thank you all for the advice. Hopefully, my attorney would be able to further help me. I didn't want it to go this way but I have to fight for myself. I feel like they are trying to make me seem like the bad guy when I did not ask for this to happen to me. The caseworker tells my employer that my case is not closed but tells me that it is. I have went to all of my scheduled appointments and continue to go to them. This is a whole big mess!

I know all too well what you're going through. Liberty Mutual is one of the worst and I've had my dealings with them.
    My Doctor wanted me to have surgery and it scared me. I did allot of research and was trying to get better on my own when the benefit Checks stopped with no warning. I called my lawyer and She called Liberty Mutual. They told Her that because I hadn't decided to have surgery they where going to close my case.
    The Day after calling my Attorney I got a letter from L/M stating i had an appointment with an IME for an MMI exam.
    When I called my Doctor and told Him I was ready for surgery L/M set their IME out on Him. After they talked about my case the IME sided in with my Doctor and L/M had to start paying again. It took 7 Weeks to get payments started again and I had to go in for surgery broke. They refused to give me the lost Weeks of pay but my lawyer told me we'd get it back a settlement.

Here's who you're dealing With, check Liberty Mutual out on this site, it explains it all:
    http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html

Don't let them get away with anything! I'm sure your attorney knows of them as well and knows what to do.
    Don't give up!

Thanks for all the responses, I let a message with my claims adjuster and she has yet to call me back I guess the next step would be to contact my attorney.

Liberty Mutual is one of the worst insurers in the country for workers comp.
    They will do everything in their power to keep from paying you one dime. They would rather spend $100,000 on an attorney rather than paying you
    $25,000 to settle the case. You aren't the only one to be screwed over by this outfit. Get a good attorney and stay on top of it.....

Quote Quoting truthone76 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, I let a message with my claims adjuster and she has yet to call me back I guess the next step would be to contact my attorney.
    It's not funny but I had to laugh when I retained an Attorney.
    L/M was horrible from the get go. I had such a hard time getting hold of my adjuster and after She left me to the mercy of another adjuster when She supposedly went on

If you ever want an adjuster to respond then have your attorney schedule their deposition. Adjuster's hate having the deposition done. They will jump thru hoops to avoid one. The last thing they want to do is put it on permanent record that they screwed up.

Thanks for the FYI ADJ. As a mater of fact, my Attorney threatened Her with just that. That's the only reason things got back on track. They still refused to pay the 6 Weeks back pay but my lawyer asked me that if I was OK financially it would be best to leave this Dog laying on the porch. That come settlement Time this would be used against them. I figure when I tell the Judge about how L/M has treated me, they'll have to tippy Toe around the Bench, LOL!