Default Left knee surgery and over compensation right knee

Anyone ever had to deal with over compensation syndrome? Fell and had surgery on left knee for torn cartilage "everywhere they looked" according to OS. Then right knee begun to swell 3 months later and while trying to go up a step, left knee buckled and tried to recover w/right foot and felt a "pop" in my knee. Ended-up w/surgery on right for torn meniscus and Baker's Cyst. My OS called it overcompensation syndrome where the right had been "compensating" for the left. W/C denied right. Anyone else?

Default Re: Left knee surgery and over compensation right knee

Juliern, do you have an attorney? What state are you in? This scenario of overcompensation is quite common. Also, it is called a "compensable consequence" as a result of the difficulties/abnomal gait, weakness, etc. of your WC-accepted left knee injury, and therefor SHOULD be accepted as being related to your WC left-knee injury.

Did you have any complaints concerning your right knee while you were recuperating from your left knee surgery? is this documented in your medical records?

Nevertheless, your PTP must document in his reports the "connection" between the two injuries, carefully document the "mechanics" at play between your left knee injury as you were trying to negotiate STAIRS (increased weight-loading/buckling)that CAUSED your second fall/injury, the resulting right knee injury, and support his opinion with SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE that butresses his opinion, so that his reports/findings/opinion can be considered "substantial evidence".

So, if you are currently unrepped, then get consultations with at least two WC attorneys. Get copies of all your medical records in the interim so that the attorneys can review them.

Exclamation Re: Left knee surgery and over compensation right knee

Hi Juliern! I haven't had this personally, but I have read on this and other sites where this has happened, and some of the people who had an Attorney and appealed won the decision and the other knee was added to their claim. You should discuss this with your Attorney, and if you don't have one, I would strongly suggest you hire a w/c certified Attorney. Best of Luck and please keep us informed!!

Juliern,

Thanks for sharing your story. Your injury is much like mine.

In 2005 I was injured at work (left) knee, acute meniscus tears, bakers cyst,
    and other knee injuries. My (right) knee was never checked for injury other than an X-ray. Left knee surgery was 3/06, shortly after surgery I started having problems with my right knee, locking & giving away.

The wc dr examined my right knee and said I was dealing with overuse of the knee due to having to compensate for the left knee injury. He told me this is very common with knee injuries. I had cortisone shot in the right knee that helped very little. 2/07 I had surgery on my right knee, the dr found torn meniscus, (pica Section) the meniscus under the knee cap have folded and was caught in the grove of the knee cap, and Bakers Cyst.

The W Ins Co approved of medical care for my right knee upon the dr recommendation.
    I feel having an attorney helped, we went to court and the judged approved the wc dr of my choice and treatment of my right knee.

At this time I am waiting approval for a knee replacement of my left knee and will need one in the future on my left knee.

It is important that you appeal the ins decision and get the needed medical care. With the knees there is the possibility of future surgery down the road.

Also

Thanks for the speedy replies. I complained of Left knee,hip,ankle and right lower back pain in my recorded interview. However, when I called them from work (shortly after my fall), I complained only of left knee pain. By the time I left work, several hours later, I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck. When I fell,it was a twisting to the left,slamming down on concrete so hard it shook the floor. I landed on my left knee and on to my left hip. It was a witnessed fall at the nurses station. The secretary and the doc had their back to me and said "I didn't see you fall, I FELT IT!" Anyway, I have complained ever since then of the above. About 6-8 weeks after my left knee surgery, the right started to swell,on the medial aspect and posteriorly. I was in PT and I showed them the swelling and was crying w/the pain that they stopped all weight-bearing and only had me in the pool. At my next visit w/OS I showed him my knee and explained what was going on with it. He injected w/Depo-Medrol 40 mg and when asked if this was a result of compensation and he told us absolutely. He also said I had a Baker's Cyst. He started PT on that knee as well. WC refused to pay anything to do w/right knee. Well, 6 weeks l had surgery on my right and the meniscus was torn with fragments that had to be removed and the cyst had ruptured sending blood and fluid down,towards my ankle. He sid it was "one angry knee". He told my husband and my daughter that it definitely fro over compensation. He doesn't do his own dictation, his assistant does,so if the asst. isn't in the room w/us and the doc doesn't write it down, then he doesn't know to put it in when he dictates. Anyway, WC denied the claim stating it was from a pre-exisitng medical condition!! The only history they can be talking about is an injection of phenergan in my right outer THIGH that affected a SENSORY nerve and it happened 16 YEARS AGO. I have worked in trauma in a huge teaching hospital and have worked almost 4 years in my current job in th ER as a charge nurse. Anyway, the PA has assured me he is putting it in his l;ast dictation. What I don't understand, is if these doc's do industrial medicine, don't they know what they need to say? So orry about this lengthy reply.

Juilern,

I have also had trouble with the dr not including details in his dr notes.
    I have learned to get records from each dr and review them. I also have a tape recorder with me at each visit. The dr knows I record the visit and have no problem with it.

When I was injuied my report only listed my left knee, the overuse injury of my right knee came in later after having to compensate for my injuried left knee.

I hope you have an attorney and appeal the Ins Co decision.
    As I mentioned earlier, overuse injuries happens offten with knee injuries according to my dr.

Is your private health ins paying for the surgery on your right knee since wc is not?

Lightbulb Re: Left knee surgery and over compensation right knee

Great Post Lynn!! You are right on the money with your answers. I agree a good w/c Certified Attorney is the best way for this situation to be handled, a Review Petition needs to be filed to appeal the decision and a second opinion needs to be received. This w/c system is very complicated and a good Attorney is the right way to go, especially when you feel you are not getting the care you need. Best of Luck!!

The short answer, YES they "should" know. Do they always remember to dictate a certain language or specific term befitting the WC lingo, obviously not. Hopefully they can do enough damage control with the notes to get your right knee covered as a compensable part of your claim. At least they, the doc & PA, are willing to have a dialogue with you about it not all would. The more I read about knee injuries the more obvious it becomes that when one knee is injured the compensation from the other knee seems to injure it as well.

Just as a side note my husbands PCP uses the small tape recorder at each visit. He always "dictates" before he leaves the room. Believe it or not when I took my husband in last week and reviewed the transcript from his last visit, (something I have done for many years I want to see the lab results with my own eyes among other things), there was major errors in his written reports. Now don't ask me why the records state he is on coumidin for a blood clot but that is what is says. Ironically he has never taken any kind of blood thinners and as never had a blood clot. In fact his platlet count stays so low from his liver disease that we are constantly on the watch for free bleeding. He isn't even allowed to use aspirin due to his already very thin blood. This is not the first error that has been recorded on him either so I have to ask myself what the transscriber is tripping on when doing those notes.

You most likely already do this but, for those reading this that don't, it is always a good idea to ask for copies of the notes from the last visit when you go to the doctor. This not only keeps your file up to date but gives you the opportunity to get any errors corrected in a timely manner. They can't go back and edit what is already there but they can, add an addendum if you will, to correct any information stated in error.

Good luck to you RN,

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Thanks for your support. Yes, my personal insurance is covering my right knee. I just hired an attorney so we will see what happens! Thanks,again..

Good luck, keep us updated.

Lynn