Default Settling With SAIF

My attorney told me that State Insurnace Fund is know for being cheap, not wanting to give six figure settlements, is this true?

Default Re: Saif

Are you referring to State Compensation Insurance Fund (SCIF) in CA??

If you are -- they aren't cheap -- it is just a lot of work for the CA to do a 6 figure settlement (to get authority). So they do tend to STIP those files more from what I see. It is easier for them to get the authority to STIP than to C&R the file that is that large.

Question Re: Saif

Jane, sounds like your from Ca. am I correct? If so it's great to have you on here, Ca. laws are very complicated and you sound like you have a pretty good handle on it. I'm from Pa. and Ca. Laws just make my head spin!! Welcome to the Board, it seems you are going to be a great asset here!!

I think your atty is trying to reduce your expections---
    Built-in excuse or great negotiator.he's probably trying to tell you he doesn't do well against them.
    SCIF is gigantic-they settle 10 times more six figure cases then anyone else.
    They aren't afraid to leave future med open--which your atty doesn't want -- so that gives them more settlement leverage his clients.
    Last edited by .SH; 06-29-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Yep - Southern CA to be exact. Scar Tissue - you are right about it being complicated -- sometimes I wonder what the legislature was doing when they came up with some of parts of the LC -- oh well, only thing I can do at this point is vote them out. But have to wait for the next election

Been doing WC for the last few years. I have read everyones post for quite some time -- I am just now deciding to add my opinion.

Saif - .SH is right SCIF is huge (althought not as huge as they used to be). I have seem settlements from them in the 6 figures plenty of times. The largest was one for $3Million. If your case is clearly worth 6 figures they shouldn't have any problem paying it --- it just takes time. The people that I have dealt with -- it takes around 3-6 months for CA to get authority for something that size -- longer is MSA is needed. So just be patient.

Okay SH now what?
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.