New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IME Appointment

Default IME Appointment

Hello I have been on workers comp for about 19 months. I have been to several IME all at the same doctor which is about 5 minutes from my house via car. I recently received another IME appt but this time they are sending me 30 miles away to see doctor which is about a 40 minute ride. I can not ride in car that long because of back pain> I may seem paranoid but why would they want to send me so far away--to see if i can travel? Also is there anything i can do about the distance? Should i call insurance company? I travel by cab when i go to appts so i am looking at a 50 dollar ride( i called cab company) plus my back will be in serious pain.

Default Re: Ime Appt

I have been sent as far as 110 miles round trip for an IME. As long as you can afford the initial cash output for the ride, the transportation cost is something you claim and get back, same the receipt. If you are in more pain by going to a far away Dr. that may be in your favor since you will be in a lot more pain. I know it sounds really stupid, but you are the last person anyone who made that appt. cares about. We are all stuck in the system. You can call the number on the paper you got about the appointment and explain your situation. It may or may not help. Good Luck.

Thanks I spoke to my lawyer and he stated unless its 45 moiles or more he really can't say anything......I know i am the last person they care about I guess i will have to go i know i will probably be in serius pain when i get there but if i gotta go the i gotta go....

Have your doctor put your travel restrictions in writing and: object to the examination or ask for ambulance transportation.

Angry Re: Ime Appt

I totally agree with .SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, your attorney should be a little more sensitive to your needs and should request a hearing to determine why you have to go so far away when you can not travel! or, wait and not go because they can cut your payments without a hearing and in the meantime get a note from your doctor stating that if you had to travel that far, that it would have to be by ambulance and, the cost will have to be payed up by the IC!!! Once they get that bill they won't try that stunt again!
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for feedback--I finally decided to call the number on the back of the appt letter( objective medical board) and explained my situation to them--they cancelled my appt and told me to call back on monday a.m. and they will help me find a doctor within distance of my house--hopefully they will find doctor taht is closer--thanks

Question Re: Ime Appt

To think the attorney you retained couldn't at least attempted a telephone call on your behalf, then, at least after finding out how easy it was to switch doctor's to a closer location, he/she (atty) could of lied to you telling you how difficult it was to get you appointment switched to a closer doctor!!!!

I called back on monday to find out about ime and they (Objective Medical Board ) stated they were waiting on my case manager to get back to them to let them know if they should reschedule my ime or not....i hope this doesnt cause my w/c checks to stop...it seems like nysif likes to stop checks for any little reason ( dr. didnt send back medical in time, i didnt send back form in time, etc.)

Seems it ruins all their fun if the WC Judge has awarded a claim as they have to ask his permission.

That is what i really dont understand we went to wc hearing and nysif agreed to pay me and they even accepted my consequitial (wrong spelling)injuries but when my doctor didnt submit the info from my followup visit to them they stopped my check when i called them they said until my doctor submit follow up appt info they would not send me a check then she went on to say we are sending you checks as a courtesy we do not have to...i thought once you went to wc hearing and everything was agreed upon they had to send you the comp checks but i guess i was wrong....