Default Post-Traumatic Lipoma

Has anyone had or heard of a "post traumatic lipoma" after a fall?

Default Re: post traumatic lipoma, anyone?

Yes as a minor injury can cause them to grow. Are they present in an area you struck when you fell? You will need to have the doctor address the casuality of them to the fall.

Julie, this article should help.

Titre du document / Document title
    Posttraumatic lipoma: Analysis of 10 cases and explanation of possible mechanisms
    Auteur(s) / Author(s)
    COPCU Eray (1) ; SIVRIOGLU Nazan S. (1) ;
    Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
    (1) Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department, Medical Faculty, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, TURQUIE

Résumé / Abstract
    BACKGROUND. Trauma and lipoma are the most frequently met occurrences in clinical routine. Although lipomas are well-known fatty tumors both clinically and pathologically, the precise etiology is still unknown. Generally, posttraumatic lipomas are known as pseudolipoma, which describes herniation of deeper fat through Scarpa's layer secondary to trauma. Here we present 10 patients with lipoma secondary to blunt trauma in different anatomical sites. OBJECTIVES. To correlate trauma and lipoma relationships and to discuss the possible pathogenetic mechanism by reviewing literature. METHODS. Ten patients (12 lipomas) after blunt trauma were presented, and data of patients were reviewed. Ultrasonography and/or nuclear magnetic resonance were employed for diagnosis in addition to physical examination. All tumors were verified by histopathologic examinations. Patients were followed for a minimum of 6 months. RESULTS. The average age was 34. Four of the lesions (12 altogether) were located on an upper extremity, 5 on a lower extremity, 2 on the trunk, and 1 on the neck. Excision of tumors and primary closure were performed in 92% of the lesions, and only one liposuction was performed. Aesthetic results were achieved in all patients. There were no complications and recurrences. CONCLUSION. The effect of blunt trauma on fat tissue may be explained by different theories. We summarized possible mechanisms into two groups according to our observations and review of the literature: The first was related to mature adiposities and mainly a mechanical effect, and the second was differentiations of the preadipocytes to lipoma by the promoting factors. We speculate that only traumas that serve as a cause of fat necrosis may trigger the formation of the lipoma, and local inflammation secondary to fat necrosis may affect adipocytes and promote new formation of lipoma.
    Revue / Journal Title
    Dermatologic surgery (Dermatol. surg.) ISSN 1076-0512
    Source / Source
    2003, vol. 29, no3, pp. 215-220 [6 page(s) (article)] (31 ref.)
    Langue / Language
    Anglais

Editeur / Publisher
    Blackwell, Malden, MA, ETATS-UNIS (1995) (Revue)

Mots-clés anglais / English Keywords
    Trauma ; Benign neoplasm ; Adipose tissue disorders ; Human ; Pathophysiology ; Mechanism ; Lipoma ;
    Mots-clés français / French Keywords
    Traumatisme ; Tumeur bénigne ; Tissu adipeux pathologie ; Homme ; Physiopathologie ; Mécanisme ; Lipome ;
    Mots-clés espagnols / Spanish Keywords
    Traumatismo ; Tumor benigno ; Tejido adiposo patología ; Hombre ; Fisiopatología ; Mecanismo ; Lipoma ;
    Localisation / Location
    INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 17417, 35400010944826.0030

Thanks for the replies and the article. When I slammed down on the concrete, I went down on my left knee and then to my left hip. I have a small one on my left hip and a huge one on my right hip. My fall was a twisting to the left fall as I was trying to avoid some metal drawer pulls because if not, my face would have come down those pulls. I complained of right lower back pain on my telephone interview (along w/left knee,ankle and hip). I have a 4" band at the top of my right thigh/hip that remains numb and burning. They say it is anesthetica parathesia. I did not have any of these problems prior to my fall. Mechanically, I can see where a blunt force injury to the left could exert enough force to cause a lipoma on the opposite side. I process through images and I can picture that exact event!! Thanks again all.

hey, guys i have been diagnosed with "post traumatic stress disorder"anyone know how this plays down with wc