Alabama Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Alabama Workers

• Alabama Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Alabama Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Refusing Light Duty

Lue, you make the very point that concerns me where making up a busy or nonproductive work position for the IW to sit in on while they recover. Nothing but a way to have the IW close at hand to harass the crap out of them, just like what happened to you and many of our friends here on this forum! For the FEW ER's that sincerely accommodate an IW's restriction with a meaningful position, those who don't harass and heckle the IW for having an accident, my hats off to them. Unfortunately they are few and far between. Much more so the exception not the rule.

This return to light duty crap, certainly when going into a made up NON productive position, is just one more cost cutting measure designed by the IC's and ER's. Most of them don't give a rats ass about the IW's psychological nor physical health. It is all about the bottom line. Bringing the supposed psychological issue up is nothing more than a smoke screen to cover up the real issues and that is nothing but dollars and cents.

In GA, as soon as the doctor signs that restricted return to work release the clock starts ticking on a reduction of benefits in 52 or 78 weeks. Not the determination of fitness for duty but the reduction and/or termination of wage replacement benefits. Rather the IW is healed or not has nothing to do with it. It is profit driven and nothing else.

slugdog before you start shooting your mouth off again understand what I am saying is in regards to the legitimately IW and has no reflection on the bums that are committing fraud and/or abuse the system. For that lot I would say a few dips in a boiling hot vat if oil would be too good of a punishment for them. That is the exact lot of freaks that makes the legitimately injured workers have to suffer needlessly and causes every IW to be surrounded by the stigma of being too lazy or sorry to work for a living. Personally I don't much like being stereotyped based on a few bad apples that have committed fraud by faking an injury and/or milking a claim for all it is worth when it should already be closed out. I just don't have the stomach for those types.

Now why is it that the WC docs are in such an all fire hurry to get a WC claimant off total disability and onto restricted duty? Even when for many moderate to seriously injured worker it is very obvious that they are in NO condition to work light duty or otherwise. Heck many of us are on medication that precludes us from even driving ourselves to/from work least of all preform any kind of function while on the job. But hey it might save the ER and/or their IC a few bucks so who gives a hoot how miserable the worker is just so long as that almighty dollar is saved. Too bad the ER's and the goons that work for the IC's don't have enough plain old fashioned common sense to know this "theory" of RTW the IW's when it is clearly not in the best interest of the IW to do so, was figured out by the IW's of this country a long time ago.

WC laws were designed to restrict the IW's from suing their employers for huge amounts of money when an on the job injury occurs. Nothing more and nothing less. The trade off for the IW was a guarantee of not having to suffer an economic loss by way of medical bills and lost wages. Now some ER's and their IC's, who have this exclusive remedy protection, wants to have the whole cake and be the only one to eat it. I say, BS, El Toro Cocky (sp), they don't get to change the rules midstream. Not that it keeps them from trying and sometimes even getting away with it when the IW's won't or don't take a stand against this kind of abuse and maltreatment.

For any case manager, or other IC employee/agent that comes here to this IW Internet support system to try and blow this kind of smoke should be ashamed of their selves. To expect any of the IW's here to buy this kind of misguided theory makes it even worse, IMHO! Kind of like insisting it isn't cold in Alaska in January just because the residents are acclimated to the extreme cold does NOT change the temperature! It might not feel so very cold to the Alaskan but it doesn't make it any warmer either.

Have a Good one.

Steel

"He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Thumbs up Re: Refusing Light Duty

Hubert & Nutpn, I was typing while ya'll were posting this one handed crap is for the birds . At any rate thanks for the support. I have no idea who this slugdog person is, or thinks he is, and don't even really even care for that matter. As far as I am concerned he is welcome to stay, if he can confine his remarks to the OP and not be bashing other posters, whether it is me or someone else. There just is NO need in it. There is a respectful way to disagree with someone without coming off as being disagreeable. It certainly is not acceptable to call another poster a liar and I don't give a rats ass if this slugdog person has 50 years of CM history and serviced a million claims, it simply is NOT acceptable. I could easily handle this SD person saying he thought I was wrong but to make the statement that what I said was "untrue", (AKA being a LIAR) just flew through me in a really bad way! I have made my fair share of mistakes in the past and fully EXPECT to make my fair share on a go forward basis, it's kind of what makes me human.

I stand by my assertion of why IW's are RTW LD and believe it to be 100% accurate when applied to the legitimately injured workers of this country.

Hubert, you are so right this slugdog does sound a LOT like cyjeff, moburkes, and some of those other nasty personalties from LLT. They don't get on to answer questions or help anyone they just get on to tell other responders how wrong they are when they really don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. . Total RUBBISH IMHO.

OK time for me to catch another nappy pooh.

I am respectfully your friend,

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

There may well be an important driving issue behind the LD recommendation so far not mentioned and that is that in many, if not all states, the costs to the employer for lost time day is about five times more expensive than having the employee at work even if doing nothing constructive. Those states or companies that have group risk ratings, a lost time claim can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in increased insurance premiums if the lost time injury results in dismissal from the group.

One of the more interesting aspects of Workers Comp is the fact that employers rarely make a decision based on anything but dollars while an IW rarely sees any adverse action by the employer as anything but personal. That's why you see IW anger build up to the breaking point with resultant depression, anxiety and all that follows while the seeming bewilderment of the ER's at the turn of events when all they are looking after is the actuarial implications. A totsal mismatch of expectations and communication.

A good many interesting studies and articles have been written on the subject that might make good reading for the IW while sitting in the time out corner at work...........

Quote Quoting POR View Post
    There may well be an important driving issue behind the LD recommendation so far not mentioned and that is that in many, if not all states, the costs to the employer for lost time day is about five times more expensive than having the employee at work even if doing nothing constructive. Those states or companies that have group risk ratings, a lost time claim can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in increased insurance premiums if the lost time injury results in dismissal from the group.

One of the more interesting aspects of Workers Comp is the fact that employers rarely make a decision based on anything but dollars while an IW rarely sees any adverse action by the employer as anything but personal. That's why you see IW anger build up to the breaking point with resultant depression, anxiety and all that follows while the seeming bewilderment of the ER's at the turn of events when all they are looking after is the actuarial implications. A totsal mismatch of expectations and communication.

A good many interesting studies and articles have been written on the subject that might make good reading for the IW while sitting in the time out corner at work...........
    i do not understand who it saves any thing having a drugged, injured person with a injury alone with out the drugs impairing driving ability. i have a friend in prison right now due to a accident he had driving to work with a broken leg, and on pain med.s, all because the company felt it better for him to just be there so they can save a buck. my friend is ruined mentally because some one died, the judge did not care the company, and insurance co, and or BWC felt it was saving them money by him driving in such shape, all blame went on him, for not staying home in such shape. i had a company call police on me on my way home from their place, they required me to be there, the police officer knew them and me, he knew what was really up, i got lucky and he sat with me, and called my friends until he found some one to come get me and my truck. other wise he could have charged me with DUI. 90% of injured workers want to return to work asap. but having impaired people on the job, and on the road to and from work is nothing but pure greed, and bull crap. if a company wants some one to sit and count paper clips, nail, minuets, or any thing else, the person telling that worker they want them there, then that person shall be charged with going and picking the injured worker up, and taking them back. it is bull crap that any one would expect an injured person to be driving to and from work, come on people, is the company's,insurance co.s, BWC going to protect the injured worker from DUI, and or charges from hurting or killing some one on the road? NO.

Quote Quoting SteelMagnolia View Post
    Hubert & Nutpn, I was typing while ya'll were posting this one handed crap is for the birds . At any rate thanks for the support. I have no idea who this slugdog person is, or thinks he is, and don't even really even care for that matter. As far as I am concerned he is welcome to stay, if he can confine his remarks to the OP and not be bashing other posters, whether it is me or someone else. There just is NO need in it. There is a respectful way to disagree with someone without coming off as being disagreeable. It certainly is not acceptable to call another poster a liar and I don't give a rats ass if this slugdog person has 50 years of CM history and serviced a million claims, it simply is NOT acceptable. I could easily handle this SD person saying he thought I was wrong but to make the statement that what I said was "untrue", (AKA being a LIAR) just flew through me in a really bad way! I have made my fair share of mistakes in the past and fully EXPECT to make my fair share on a go forward basis, it's kind of what makes me human.

I stand by my assertion of why IW's are RTW LD and believe it to be 100% accurate when applied to the legitimately injured workers of this country.

Hubert, you are so right this slugdog does sound a LOT like cyjeff, moburkes, and some of those other nasty personalties from LLT. They don't get on to answer questions or help anyone they just get on to tell other responders how wrong they are when they really don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. . Total RUBBISH IMHO.

OK time for me to catch another nappy pooh.

I am respectfully your friend,

Steel
    i hope you are starting to feel better my friend, this subject really cutts thru me, and gets my goat. then to see you were bashed, had me hitting ceiling. you can spot people in their way of writing, even tho the name is changed.could be wrong but i call em as i see em. good luck, take care of yourself, my prayers are with all.

thats right the last thing we need is a expert cm trying to tell us what is right ,if u ask me I think u need to apoligise......

Hubert - I agree completely. I was speaking in general terms concerning the many factors that drive some of these decisions.
    Slugdog also is correct in general terms as well and made statements that are completely in tune and representative of the best disability prevention literature. It was not and is not personal.

Again, what is upsetting folks is the disconnect between the very personal experience of the IW and the detached business decision making of the employer. It has nothing to do with legitimacy.

Best advice is always to do waht your doctor recommends and run anything else by him/her first. It is your right.

Sorry y'all see it that way. Steel, your generalized statement regarding employers was simply wrong. Very true that there are employers that are without any scruples regarding their WC cases. Most I have worked with aren't that way. There are adjusters that have no feelings regarding their IW's lives, but most aren't that way. We live in a world that cares about the bottom line, and WC costs hit that hard. But most people {including employers} do have at least a basic respect for other people's condition. Strange but true that alot of people who are hurt on the job expect a different outcome than people who are hurt in MVA's, at home, or anywhere else. They can accept an 80% recovery from a car wreck, but not from blowing out a disc at work. As far as me being on any other WC, HR, or any other websites, not so. I was researching something pertaining to my work and found this place. Since there are several threads totally trashing case managers, I thought maybe I could bring some truth regarding how most of us, who, whether you like it or not, are experts on the subject, into the subject. However, there are always going to be people who want to whine {I am not pointing that at anyone who is in disagreement with me here!!} and sue the socks off someone cause life dealt them a bad card. We all have problems in our lives. We can deal with them, or whine. I've been living with chronic pain since 1986, serious pain, but can't do one thing about it short of eating a bullet, and have considered that quite a few times. Nobody is responsible for it, it's just the way it is. I do find comfort in contact with others with the same problem on the net, and we can identify with each other's trials and pain. Anyway, I am sorry you got upset, this wasn't the intention, but I did know you might. Just wanted to bring an aspect of WC injuries into focus that wasn't being addressed. I'll go my merry way, and y'all can have your board back. Pray y'all have good outcomes, and I do mean that.
    slug
    Last edited by slugdog; 10-05-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Exclamation Re: Refusing Light Duty

I have been injured for Three Years, totally Disabled from a Spinal Injury. Would I Love to Work again, YES!! Will I ever be able to NO!! Proven by 7 Surgeons, both Ortho. and Neuro., I wouldn't accept the diagnosis of Disabled, so I kept searching for a Better answer, but to no Avail. I was Approved for SSDI at the Age of 43, without an Attorney, in 3mos./3wks.! My Spine has diminished since my original Injury, and My PM Dr. is 100% against me not working, and I'm not Happy at all with that, but it's Life, and I have to learn to Adapt. My condition sounds pretty dim, because it is, My Power Wheelchair arrived Last Week, I can't walk or shop without the assistance of the Chair. I have been to 10 Hearings so far, with more to go, because My ER is trying to make Me, a 245lb. Truck Driver a Secretary/Receptionist in the Condition I'm in!! Would that be good for My Morale? I don't think so, I'm with Steel on this one! Slug Dog, what You are saying may be right in some circumstances, but not as a General Rule. We are Injured Workers, each different, not a General Rule in a Training Book! Steel has been a Very Valuable Asset here, always trying to give the Best Suggestions they can, and in this circumstance, I have to agree with Her! And as POR has said, some else Here that I Value Highly, Best advice is to follow the Dr.'s orders, the ER in some if not Most Instances, does not have the Employee's better Interest in Mind, only the Insurance Premium and Lost Time. It's Sad, but Very True, just look at my situation, for a Prime Example!!

I used to be proud of where I worked until a few years ago. All the safety signs, "Nothing but safe methods are acceptable." "Safety first".. Blah blah blah. And it does look good hanging from the chains and how they follow you around trying to catch you doing something wrong, because they have made your job so hard and fast, that you cannot meet their demands doing it the correct way. Give em' 2 hrs of work to do in 1 hr. "Always bend your knees when picking anything up." "Staps and bands can cut your hands." I am getting nauseated just thinking about it.

Have you ever tried to pick up a very tightly packed box that you cannot get your arms around that weighs 100 lbs with straps around it? And the box is so big that you cannot even think about bending your knees just to get a hold of it. Only way to move it is by the bands. Try to call attention to that, and they will get you back eventually.

Actually, the company I work for has good rules, but I can't figure out who made em.' It sure wasn't the people that are around now.

They have people there that have been employed for years, and they go up the ranks, and sit around and think about how they can get rid of more workers. Like, Use 7 instead of 10 and wonder why peoples knees and shoulders are going out.

And another favorite part of mine is, come in and take a safety test and they'll give you the answers. You must answer it word for word exactly. That way, when you screw up, you knew the procedures, and you are to blame. They give you 20 questions to answer in about 5 minutes and you have no idea what you are copying and the spaces to answer them word for word, is so small, that you write around the sides of the page and on the back.

My favorite question of all was, "When hearing the tornado siren go off, where do you go? Then you write the answer word for word. But, if the siren actually goes off and there is a tornado, the superviser will go stand out in the parking lot and watch, but you are not allowed to leave the belt unless he says you can. It will show up on the numbers at district headquarters, and then they have to answer for it. File on that, and you will get one of the biggies from corporate come down and tell you that you must follow managements decisions.
    One of the guys sent it in to OCHA. But guess what? Our company takes up money from management to support canidates, and bills passed that might benefit them. And for some reason, nothing ever happens when they violate major laws made to protect people around us and the people that are employed. I guess they know someone, who knows someone etc.....

I guess I am trying to say that I am not so proud to say I work there any more.
    Lue