Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Unhappy The Largest Worker's Comp Settlement Amounts

I was seriously injured 7/20/1998 and have had multiple surgeries on my pelvis and spine. Unfortunately, I'm left with moderate to severe chronic pain, severe migraines, moderate to severe nerve damage in lower extremeties, highly reactic scar tissue, multiple areas of lumbar and pelvic and lower extremity soft tissue damage, chronic falling that ocurs as a direct result of one or both legs'giving out' and I do not know that it is happening until I'm on the ground, bladder issues, cannot have children as a result of injury..........the list goes on. We all have terrible stories - those of us that have had more serious injuries than the 'norm' or for what may be provided for on 'the list' with percentages to calculate settlements, or for those who have just been unjustly treated by the carrier or third party administrator. At present, I am permanently disabled, receiving a weekly stipen and nothing else! Approximately 4.5 years ago they decided to become a bit more vexacious in nature and just deny anything and everything which included 2 major surgeries, any rehab, and meds, and permanent care, etc. $400,000 later out of our pockets, $200,000 outstanding that they have not paid, credit destroyed, our business destroyed, we are now just about to lose everything, I cannot even see my doctor for the flu becasue both my husband and I cannot make an appointment because WC has not paid them, the hospital, lab, x-rays, MRI, CT, etc., In essence, I have NO medical care. Unfortunately, my injuries did not appear on their 'LIST', I cannot return to work, I require medication and medical care the rest of my life, and my body may continually require surgeries due to the nature of damage done to my pelvis and spine. Currently, I require another surgery on my pelvis and here I sit, looking out the window, as usual. I could go outside or something but if something does happen, they are waiting to put it on me. However, I do suffer injuries when I fall. I cannot receive treatment for them because they do not pay anyone!! It's so much fun being humiliated all the time at the ER or when going for MRI. I'm segregated from the rest of the house - we have three levels and I cannot handle the stairs. My husband is afraid to leave me alone. My physicians have prescribed a home companion, multiple times, over the last three years. NOTHING! Of course, they've hired a physician to write evaluations to find one reason why something is not related, to cover their butts, and there I sit, again. According to the law, this physician cannot treat me or interfere with my treatment - yeah right. He barely examines me, last time he didn't and he lied, and my four doctors say I need surgery and many other things, he says it's not related to the injury (a child could see the connection), and, therefore, I receive absolutely no treatment whatsoever. Only to be ever so careful so nothing happens so I don't end up in the wrong ER with the wrong doctors treating me or cutting! Most docors don't want my case because it's too complex. I want my freedom and what's legally mine. I should not have to lose everything because of them. To me, that is well outside the parameters of workers comp. I really do not want to be the one who sets the record for the longest case. I did however, have the judge get my caseworker and her company fired from case and no others allowed to come back in. It was that bad!!! HOW CAN I FIND OUT THE LARGEST SETTLEMENT AMOUNT IN ILLINOIS? ANYONE KNOW? I'M ON A MISSION FOR ALL!!!

Default Re: Nine + years of losing me & suffering in WC hell!!

So tell us how you received such massive injuries and what your lawyer is saying about all of this...

Exclamation Re: Nine + years of losing me & suffering in WC hell!!

Guess I'm just so tired of reliving the event and even more so, talking about it anymore. I've spent the last 9.5 years doing nothing but wonderful tests to elicit pain for accurate diagnosis, doctor after doctor, surgery, convalescing, rehab, surgery, convalescing, rehab, and so on and so on, and fighting with WC and all that wonderful stuff. That's not living and it's certainly not a life, at least not what I was used to. Anyway, I was lifting a full milk can (120lbs = to 1 of me!) to dump it in a vat, it was hoist assisted, of course, the hoist was suddenly no longer assisting, I was basically wearing it on my upper body as it literally rocked me backward, arched my body, twisted me, letting go did nothing (it stayed atop me), everything was in slow motion, I heard nothing, all these thoughts ran through my mind about getting hurt and I didn't know if anyone knew where I was at the time, I guess I squatted to get underneath to dump it to get it off me and the next thing I remember was horrible pain, being on the floor, almost passed out, feeling sick, and trying to get up. Long story short, I was carried out. 45 days later a Neurosurgeon finally diagnosed me. I could barely stand up, I dragged my leg, losing feeling in lower extremeties, bladder issues immediately as well as migraines, severe off the charts pain, swelling in extremeties, MRI showed L2-L5 in trouble, L5 being herniated and encroaching but not surgical at that time. That was my secondary injury, primary was my SI joint. I had actually torsioned myself with an estimated 1400lbs of torque, SI joint actually sprained and dislocated, as it attempted to return to position (only 1-2 mm's wide & 1mm of movement) a large piece fractured and separated. Third serious issue, I tore multiple tendons and ligaments which supported and held SI joint in place, and spine, back, the Psoas muscle, gluts, etc., In essence, my pelvis and spine parted ways, literally and both were damaged in the process along with supporting structures. Unfortunately, when you injure the core of your body and espectially in the area of the SI joints, you risk interference with your central nervous system. It wasn't until later the doctors realized the substantial nerve damage! Lucky me. I've been confined to a wheelchair, told I wasn't coming out of it, (I did though) in a rehab center and even placed in a nursing home. Each surgery seperated me from my husband for months because I needed constant care. I was home for the spine surgery. The body cast was special! I've never fought so hard for anything. Yes, I can walk. But, it doesn't happen everyday, It takes a tremendous amount of concentration on my part. So much so, that it is exhausting. I've trained myself to listen to what my feet are doing because I can't feel it. If I scuff a toe, drag a heel, it means I'm either tired and that means STOP or it means I can no longer pick up one or both my feet, or a myriad of other things. I retrained myself to ride horses twice during this process - I did not have the same sensations any longer. Now I haven't been able to even try since the fall of 2002. After the emergency spine surgery then the second one, a fusion in the spring of 2003, many things changed once again. 2 year recovery then more damage found!! From this point it appears to be downhill, so they say. If I say there's hope then they think I haven't admitted I'm disabled. Can't win either way! There are times I wonder what I'm even fighting for any longer. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I've been through, done, or tried just about anything you can think of, and even misdiagnosed to being tortured by a doctor! My attorney is fit to be tied and frustrated. He'd like me to speak on behalf of injured workers. He's on a committee to reform WC law in Illinois. This is my second attorney!! He is the one who got the caseworker fired for good! Not an easy thing to do. He and opposing counsel have conversation and the third party administrator does whatever it wants. They cover their butts each time so legally we have no recourse for sanctions. You cannot force them to settle, either. 5 years ago we did agree to settle. 6 months and they never paid. I end up in the emergency room with no use of lower extremities and bladder had stopped working. While I was drugged, prepped for surgery, they asked if I would take the check if they did not have to pay for this surgery!!!! Obviously, the answer was NO! I've learned more than I care to learn both medically and legally. Crawford is the company I'm plagued with and they are notoriously the worst to deal with and have a reputation for this. They paid everything until I hit the $500,000 mark then the second re-insurer kicked in. I'm now on the third re-insurer!! I really am just tired of talking about the pain, my life that isn't, fighting constant depression, the abuse, the discrimination, and everything else, etc.! Sometimes I wonder how I have done it. I'm much too patient and tolerate much too much. I've never been one to get really mad. I'm about there now. It should have happened years ago.

You say that you trained yourself to ride horses again? I will repeat the ?. You say you trained yourself to ride horses again? Why would anyone think that that would be strange when you can barely walk? I have a svere shoulder injury with multiple FULL OPENING surgeries. I would just like to be able to feed my self normally with this arm let alone ride horses. I hope you do well with this!!! Good Luck!

Exclamation 9+ years of Learning to adapt, retraining my brain & body, using my extra senes

I've taught myself to do many things and to do them differently. Everyone's experience is different and I don't question or judge anyone. I'm concerned with what I can and cannot do. I was doomed to a life in a wheelchair and apparently, I didn't listen to what the doctors told me. I fought long and hard and was determined not to stay in the wheelchair and to walk again. It came at a price. Like most things do. Apparently you are unfamiliar with therapeutic riding programs where even severely disable children ride for the neuro-stimulation. If it weren't for my wonderful husband, now of 20 years, my family, and my animals which are the horses I used to breed, show and train and my dogs, German Shepherds and Labs, that I used to breed show and train, I might not have gotten this far. I have other issues as a direct result, I just didn't list every humiliating thing that is wrong as a result of all of this. My falls have caused serious injury to my knees, stitches upon my face, knocked out teeth, stitches in my lip, knocked unconcsious multiple times and hospitalized via rescue squad. Yeah, it's been a riot!! Woke up with one leg partially paralyzed - fortunately it passed in 6 weeks! I never expected that my injuries would be this devastating. That each surgery was as dangerous and as costly to my body as it was. That the first three entailed taking apart my pelvis and putting it back together. That someone would be holding my internal organs during the third surgery while they carefully navigated to implant plates and screws in between the nerves that control all those organs and lower extremeties and my spine. That when I woke up I'd have pumps pumping blood out of my pelvis, etc., That each surgery cut through tendons and ligaments that were already damaged. That other things were going on at the same time that hadn't even been discovered while these surgeries were taking place. Yes, I can walk, at great expense. I can make it look perfect!! Then there are days on end that I never leave the house - I never even make it off the couch or the chair. I don't sleep in my own bedroom. I'm confined to a very small area. I rode a horse with assistance, never alone. I couldn't saddle a horse, I couldn't even get on one alone. But I never stopped trying! And, I did it. It felt wonderful. My lower body and upper body weren't fighting with each other. I could actually move my legs, independent of the other and there was no pressure on them. Did it hurt? You bet!! But, it hurt good! We should all have goals and strive to achieve them. It's called making choices. I conciously made the choice to do this knowing full well what the price would be afterword. Immobile for days. However, the exercise was fantastic. The only exercise I can do is low impact in a pool and that wasn't happening!! If doc says okay, I'll try! Even if I fail, and get upset, I'll evaluate the situation and look for another way. The only person I have to answer to is myself!! I'd give anything to be whole again; to work again; to do everything I used to do; to be a mother. You cannot adopt while recovering and when you cannot be left alone yourself. Furthermore, I now haven't riden in years since my condition has deteriorated. But, somehow, some way, I'll try again. I don't give up easily. I'm constantly trying to find alternatives!! And I'll do it, too!! I'm not dead yet!!! What I'm trying to do now is get information, get this case settled so I can help others. There is no place SAFE for people like us to go where we are not being either WATCHED or JUDGED by others. We need to feel freedom, share experiences, legal strategies, etc., and we just might be able to help reform this pathetic system we all seem to be struggling in. Now, does anyone know how to find out what the largest settlement (cash award) was in the state of Illinois? How can I find the case??
    Last edited by flyingby105@msn.com; 10-12-2007 at 03:07 PM.

I wish you luck to find out the largest settlement amount in Illinois. After reading your reply to my reply, I have found you to be an insperation to me. You have a fire in you that will NEVER die. Good for you! I would think any attorney that attends these forums could give you the answer to the million dollar ?. I hope it is a hell of a lot more than that too. I would think most attorneys would not want us to know what is in the almighty QDEX. If we knew, we might not be so quick to hire them. The QDEX from what I hear, is the bible of settlements. Look it up on the internet. Good Luck, and I really hope your dreams come true!

I'm finding that it is terribly difficult, even for an attorney, to find that answer. Believe me, I fight depression all of the time and it is getting more and more difficult but I don't want to be depressed nor do I want to lose everything we've worked so hard for and that's pretty much where we're at right now. It's awful, feeling as though you're to blame for all that is happening. I know, deep down, that I could not help or control what happened to me. In all actuality, it was really one individual's negligence and laziness that got me hurt in the first place. My workplace covered it up immediately. He was the future nephew-in-law to the Plant Manager and his niece worked there. In any event, I still get that helpless feeling because I can't control any of this and I was so used to being the partner and contributing and now I'm not. My hideous bills have gone on our credit. It's wrong, but that's what happens. That is something else I want to fight. If I do anything now and speak out, I will lose anything I might have gotten and that's my future. I will have continuing medical the rest of my life. My meds are currently $2,000 per month!! That's more than I get! So, you see, I do need to be careful. It's very frustrating. But please, don't give up. I do understand how difficult it is. I go to the barn, I work with a horse, suprvised of course, my senses help keep me from getting hurt, I listen, I focus on them, all the things I did before that made me good at it, just tuned in much better. It's odd, somehow they know I'm not quite right, either. Both the dogs and the horses are different with me after a surgery and after a fall. They are tuned in to me, just as well. That's an awesome feeling and it's those things that help with this awful pain. I'm on some pretty heavy duty pain management medications and I still have pain ranging from 7-9 daily and I go off the charts regularly. I've actually trained myself to change my focus to help get me through the wretched nerve pain in my legs that flares up several times a week. Thanks for your advice! I'll go look on the internet and see what I find there. Don't give up, okay? If you want to talk, I'll just listen, if that's what you need. It does not matter how big or small or in between our injuries are, it's how they are affecting us and the impact all of this has on our lives. It's awful, regardless the injury. Here's to keeping sane!!

105~
    101 here, I too agree with your mantra in life after experiencing such a devistating injury. I applaud you. Keep up the fight, and I pray that in the end you are compensated for all that you have gone through. The system is ruthless isn't it? God speed.

U Are In All Of Our Prayers.it Will Work Out In Time

Never Let 'em See U Sweat:d:d:d:d