Michigan Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Michigan Workers

• Michigan Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Michigan Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Question Workers Compensation Benefits After Resignation

Hi all...

I have a question about WC benefits. Do they still apply after one voluntarily resigns from the company where the injury took place?

My right leg was crushed in a fork lift accident a little over 2 years ago. The leg healed just fine, thank God, but the knee has been weakened because of it and I am getting outpatient surgery on it next month.

I am still employed by the company but I have been actively looking for another job and have some promising leads. However, I am concerned that if I resign before my scheduled surgery, I will be left high and dry.

Can any of you all shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    Krik

Default Re: WC Bennies After Resignation

yes work comp continues as long as you have a claim. It is not like health insurance that requires you to stay with the employer. Your employer still has their work comp policy that protects them from your claim.

oh my there is nothing as hard as reopening a old claim, they fight you much harder.

Please research your state, if you make the decision to quit your job, your medical may be paid...but I doubt if you will be paid workers comp benefits while you are recouping....research job abandonment (voluntary abandonment)...

Good luck and be sure to research your state law (MI) before you do find another job.

Good luck

Quote Quoting Krik View Post
    Hi all...

I have a question about WC benefits. Do they still apply after one voluntarily resigns from the company where the injury took place?

My right leg was crushed in a fork lift accident a little over 2 years ago. The leg healed just fine, thank God, but the knee has been weakened because of it and I am getting outpatient surgery on it next month.

I am still employed by the company but I have been actively looking for another job and have some promising leads. However, I am concerned that if I resign before my scheduled surgery, I will be left high and dry.

Can any of you all shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    Krik
    Beth, Legal Assistant
    Wife and Mother of injured workers