Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legs and Feet Swelling After a Back Injury

Has anyone else had a problem with their legs and feet swelling, along with a back injury. My original injury is now over three years old, I have been through many procedures to try to either fix the cause of my pain, or just fix the pain itself. Over the last month or so I have noticed that my boots have been a little tighter. Last night I looked down at my feet and lower legs and they were almost 1.5 times their normal size. They were also very sore especially to the touch. My legs have been sore before but nothing like this before. Anyone else have this proble before? Any ideas, I am going to call my POR and PM docs as soon as they open. Just was looking for a more personal opinion. Thanks!

Default Re: Medical Question

Have you had any very recent procedures done
    CR

No I haven't my last surgery was in December of 2006, and I had a myleogram in August. Other than those no I haven't

My initial thought was a clot also, but no recent history to go with one.

WE were thinking the same, are you a diabetic or any history, gout can also cause swelling some stool softners can also cause this alot of different things Doc appt. is a good idea
    CR

You asked for personal experiences from other IWs - I am not.
    This is a known complication from spinal cord/ CNS injuries and I do have a few patients struggling with it. At times it has been linked to certain medications or combinations thereof. Prolonged sitting over time may also do it as the peripheral vascular system decompensates.
    salt intake, kidney function, cardiovascular complications such as CHF and on and on.

Excercising ?

Quote Quoting POR View Post
    You asked for personal experiences from other IWs - I am not.
    This is a known complication from spinal cord/ CNS injuries and I do have a few patients struggling with it. At times it has been linked to certain medications or combinations thereof. Prolonged sitting over time may also do it as the peripheral vascular system decompensates.
    salt intake, kidney function, cardiovascular complications such as CHF and on and on.

Excercising ?
    this is pretty much true. i have swelling at times also. it comes and goes.

This is a known complication from spinal cord/ CNS injuries and I do have a few patients struggling with it.
    POR, That is what I have heard before. I just was not sure to what extent the symptoms went. There is no history of diabetes or any other problems that would cause this in my family. I have not taken any stool softeners either. I laid down for quite a while today and it did go down some, but not much. When I called my POR he told me to go to my family doc, as they may want to do some dopler studies. This was after I told them that there is no warm spots or any one particular really sore spot. So I go to my family doc tomorrow at 11:20.

SOunds good BUT ...Ultrasound is pretty much useless for detection of DVT below the knee. So, look into you meds. I have made changes in the pain meds and adjuvent meds and relieved alot of swelling in patients. In other words there is very little liklihood of a blood clot although, as in airline passengers, it does hapeen in pain patients who spend much of the day sitting.

I also do try to walk as much as I can tolerate or my PM doc will kill me(verbally of course). I start every morning by taking my dog, Rommel, out for a walk for about 15 - 20 minutes. by the end of that my feet and legs hurt so bad, and my back is sore that I come home and take my morning meds and have to lay down for a while. Then we do this again in the afternoon, and when my fiancee gets home in the evening after dinner. Of course that will change with the cold and rain now. When it gets cold and rainy I ache so bad it is not even funny. There is no morning walk then, and sometimes not at all. But we manage to get some walking in, Rommel and I enjoy it. He's a white German Shepherd, he's two years old today. I would go nuts during the days without him, I suggest this to anyone home alone a lot. Especially when you have kids around that can clean up the yard after them for you!