Default Anterior Fusion of L4-L5 L5-S1

Had the Disc OOOO Hell Gram, hmm the nurse started an IV and soon rolled me in.. I could bet $1000000.00 all that they gave me was saline and no meds. Because I Felt Every Thing He Did..and damn when he penitrated the disk well It hurt. When he pressurised the disk I said some choice words . The funny thing in all this is the RN said quote ( you will not fell too much and you will not remembe anything) hahaha what a crock of S@#$ . I just dont put much faith in them anymore. well the results are Positive and with DDD. The doc says that I need a Anterior Fusion of L4-L5 L5-S1, ANTERIOR He explanined the procedure. I really dont like the idea of this.......like brain surgery through your butt. Has anyone had the type of surgery? I think i had rather go with the Posterior fusion less risk.

Default Re: Anterior Fusion of L4-L5 L5-S1

While you have left out some important details, anterior is preferred for fusion in many cases: less difficult, less blood loss, less muscle to cut through, shorter recovery better exposure of the surgical site, maybe less complications.

Quote Quoting Inpain View Post
    Had the Disc OOOO Hell Gram, hmm the nurse started an IV and soon rolled me in.. I could bet $1000000.00 all that they gave me was saline and no meds. Because I Felt Every Thing He Did..and damn when he penitrated the disk well It hurt. When he pressurised the disk I said some choice words . The funny thing in all this is the RN said quote ( you will not fell too much and you will not remembe anything) hahaha what a crock of S@#$ . I just dont put much faith in them anymore. well the results are Positive and with DDD. The doc says that I need a Anterior Fusion of L4-L5 L5-S1, ANTERIOR He explanined the procedure. I really dont like the idea of this.......like brain surgery through your butt. Has anyone had the type of surgery? I think i had rather go with the Posterior fusion less risk.
    Consider yourself fortunate to only have your MD recommend an Anterior Fusion. As POR pointed out this type of procedure is the least invasive and provides a much better time frame of recovery.

You do not want to have to go thru a Posterior surgery, it involves a vascular surgeon cutting thru your abdomen just slightly to the left, massive involvement of tissue, muscle, movement of internal organs etc and has the greatest risk of potential known complications. In addition, if the MD has recommended a cadivar bone vs a part of your own hip bone, you have less involvement in the area of the hip that can cause lateral femoral nerve damage.

The complications can range from internal organs; ie kidney, bladder,
    large intestine, then you have the probability of nerve damage either directly to or peripheral. If you are a male, it can and does significantly impare your function for quite some time.

We know, my husband had an Anterior/Posterior Multi level fusion with 360 degree BAK cage, pedicle screws and Harrington Rods, the surgery was to stablize his spine and fuse vertebra. The posterior incision alone was almost 14 inches in length, then you have the anterior incision which dependent upon the location and involvement can vary in length as well, his is almost 8 inches with stab like wounds in various spots where the screws were attached.

Neither surgery is a piece of cake.....and the less invasive the better..

Just my fyi........Roofs wife.
    Last edited by roofinfool; 10-25-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Quoting roofinfool View Post
    Consider yourself fortunate to only have your MD recommend an Anterior Fusion. As POR pointed out this type of procedure is the least invasive and provides a much better time frame of recovery.

You do not want to have to go thru a Posterior surgery, it involves a vascular surgeon cutting thru your abdomen just slightly to the left, massive involvement of tissue, muscle, movement of internal organs etc and has the greatest risk of potential known complications. In addition, if the MD has recommended a cadivar bone vs a part of your own hip bone, you have less involvement in the area of the hip that can cause lateral femoral nerve damage.

The complications can range from internal organs; ie kidney, bladder,
    large intestine, then you have the probability of nerve damage either directly to or peripheral. If you are a male, it can and does significantly impare your function for quite some time.

We know, my husband had an Anterior/Posterior Multi level fusion with 360 degree BAK cage, pedicle screws and Harrington Rods, the surgery was to stablize his spine and fuse vertebra. The posterior incision alone was almost 14 inches in length, then you have the anterior incision which dependent upon the location and involvement can vary in length as well, his is almost 8 inches with stab like wounds in various spots where the screws were attached.

Neither surgery is a piece of cake.....and the less invasive the better..

Just my fyi........Roofs wife.
    i had this same thing done, there was 4 screws, 2 cage's put in, they harvested the bone from my pelvic. they did L-4-L5, L-5-S-1, this was in march,07. the jury is still out on if this was successful. yes, they had a vascular surgeon to move my organs. yes going thru your abdomen, it will mess with your male organs. but you got a do what you got a do.

Hubert--hope your recovery is going well.......

All I can say is for some the surgery is a very favorable outcome, but for others the days turn into nights and they never stop. APLIF is the most invasive surgical procedure to correct spinal problems and the known complications are massive.

The MD will base their recommendation of the surgery on you as an individual, but that does not mean a successful outcome.......

In our case it was either be paralyzed from the waist down or have the possibility of use of the lower extremities. Even though the surgery has been deemed a "failed back surgery syndrome" or FBSS, he can walk with assistive devices--------so the risks far outweighed the known probability.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Roof's wife.

I had an anterior/posterior fusion of L4-S1 done last November. The Anterior approach is done from the front where you will need a vascular surgeon to move all of your organs over so the surgeon can get to your spine. I had the anterior surgery done first then they flipped me over onto a different surgical table and performed the posterior fusion. I had the cages implanted from the front and the rods and screws and the bone graft from my hip put in from the back. They used bone morphogen protein (BMP) which helps in the fusion process. As soon as I was in my room I was fitted with a back brace which I wore for 5 months. I used a Spinal Bone Growth Stimulator for 5 months also. It looked like a steering wheel that fit around your waist that I used for 30 minutes per day. It made no noise and I felt nothing. Good luck and If you have any questions you can e-mail me at maw1953@rcn.com.

on the disk-o-gram, they can not give you any medication for the pain until after the tests are done. the IV they hooked up to you was for the med.s after wards. they need to see the pain you are in. if there is nothing wrong with a level, there will be no pain when they test it. and they do find a level to test for to show, they test the levels above and below the problem areas. my surgery gave me 30% pain relief. it gave me 5-8 years not in wheel chair. it was the only way for them to do it, and only thing left to do for me.BWC fought me 2 1/2 years not to let me get the surgery, they felt it was a waste, do to i not returning to work, but i needed it for pain relief. you most likely start therapy 3 months after the fusion, it will be painful, but you need to do it. i was told to plan on pain for life. i do not think a good surgeon would do this type of surgery if not needed.