Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Why Can't You Sue the Insurance Company's Investigators

as everyone might have seen i have been under investigation. not sure what comp. has yet. but they say they had me under investigation and apparently for 3 days . my husband and i were talking tonight and he said that burns him up to know that someone has been watching us for days and hours and taking notes and probley videos or pictures of us and our family. My husband said it seem to him that we could file a lawsuit against the investigator and comp. for stalking me and or invasion of privacy and or Tresspassing if they entered my property. If someone watched me nonstop for 3 days like they said or more then that person was stalking me. i want to file a lawsuit against them. If we do find out the name of the investigator ( can we find that out) Are we allowed to go and sit in front of his home and take pictures of him or her with there family and friends. can we follow them around.
    Teresa

Default Re: investigators for IC. why can we not file a lawsuit against them

Not 100% on this but as long as they are not tresspassing and you are on public property there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Think Brittany Spears...They are NOT allowed to go on private property however so if you can prove that they were, you'd have a case...If you wanted to return the favor be careful...There is a fine line being licensed to be an investigator and stalking...

Hello Teresa ann,

If you feel that you are being watched or investigated there is nothing you can really do...the employer has the right to investigate claims at whatever costs...the investigator can not tresspass on your property etc...the best thing to do and what we advise our clients to do is if you see them across the street or you know they are following i.e. grocery store, mall, doctor office then just call the police...

We have told clients over and over that if you see a car parked out by your home call police..call every time you see them..If true, call police and tell them about a suspicious car setting outside your home taking pictures or video taping towards your home...they will come and take a report.

best of luck.

Quote Quoting Teresa ann View Post
    as everyone might have seen i have been under investigation. not sure what comp. has yet. but they say they had me under investigation and apparently for 3 days . my husband and i were talking tonight and he said that burns him up to know that someone has been watching us for days and hours and taking notes and probley videos or pictures of us and our family. My husband said it seem to him that we could file a lawsuit against the investigator and comp. for stalking me and or invasion of privacy and or Tresspassing if they entered my property. If someone watched me nonstop for 3 days like they said or more then that person was stalking me. i want to file a lawsuit against them. If we do find out the name of the investigator ( can we find that out) Are we allowed to go and sit in front of his home and take pictures of him or her with there family and friends. can we follow them around.
    Teresa
    Beth, Legal Assistant
    Wife and Mother of injured workers

Whatamess, what the others have said is true. The PIs can film you anywhere tht you are in the "public view".

However, they can NOT tresspass on your property, and they can NOT tresspass on your NEIGHBOR'S property without their permission.

They are also NOT allowed to film through your windows, or in areas where you would have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".

IF the PIs interview your neighbors, they can NOT represent themselves to be from "law enforcement" or inpersonating a Police Officer. And, they can NOT say potentially slanderous things like "we are investigating your neighbor for Arson, murder," etc.

Really, the best way to handle this is just to ingore the PIs. If they know that YOU know they are there, they will just find OTHER ways of being more discreet...and if you try to "outsmart" them, they will just think that you REALLY have "something to hide"...

Be sure to ALWAYS follow your Doctors restrictions. You might want to start a daily diary, documenting what you are doing each day, what your symptoms are, how much medication you need to take, and who was with you at the time as a witness.

as i have said before, just wave at them, smile, and send them a pizza, and a 2 litter of coke, with note, some thing to eat and drink, and for later you have a container to pee in. they just love that.

Hi Theresa,

AS a woman I can empathize with how you are feeling. It is a real feeling of violation to know that someone is watching us, and following us, and our children. It makes you feel dirty.
    However, many moons ago, I was a Private Investigator. (Never WC) And, everyone needs to make their living. Most of the PI's follow their State's rules. Most, as there are always exceptions in every profession.

And, as an IW who had a 10 year long claim, I too, had my share of PI's. (But as my old boss told me at his "Surprise" 50th b-day, in August, "You can't out PI a PI!"

My advice: Remain cautious at all times. Talk to your neighbors. Explain that you have a WC injury. Ask for their assistance. Tell them that if a STRANGER parks in front of their house, to call the cops. The PI on my case, parked ACROSS the street, kitty corner, in FRONT of a couple's house for THREE days. After i met the PI (That is another story), I asked the couple what the hell they were thinking? The wife said, I was gonna ask who he was today!! GOOD THING HE WAS NOT A CHILD MOLESTER, YOU IDIOT! The PI was in front of a SCHOOL bus stop!
    Also tell your neighbors that your injury does not prevent you from short walks, etc, BUT THAT YOU ARE IN PAIN. (for some reason, if you do not have a bloody gash, people do not believe you are in pain!)
    I would not suggest that you follow them. Take pics of them whenever you see them, if you want.

Remember, NEVER EVER, tell your Dr or Ins Co, that YOU "CAN'T", or that you, "Never" do something. These words get you in trouble.

And, you can't follow them, or sit in front of their house. That would be stalking! ANd, no you cannot file a lawsuit against them, unless they violated a law.

All the best.

LA

Default Re: Investigators for IC - why can't we file a lawsuit against them

Unless they are actually committing a crime then you have no legal recourse against them. If they trespass on your property then you can press charges. A good PI has already advised the local police department that he will be in a particular area (especially the more rural area) and the reason he is there. The cops may come out if you call them but there is nothing they can really do unless the PI is breaking the law. As long as you are not doing anything outside of the restrictions there should not be an issue. If the carrier decides to use the tape as evidence in most jurisidications this has to be listed on the pre-trial. Unlike to movies they cannot just show up with a tape and give it to the Judge on the day of trial.

I really appreciate everyones response. it really helps to come in and just vent sometimes and ask questions. I do not feel as if i have done anything wrong . i have not went outside the restrictions.
    Thanks again
    Teresa

Don't be stressing the PI Teresa, as long as your doing what your supposed to be doing you have nadda to worry about.
    I have to add a comment about Huberts suggestion about sending the PI pizza, soda...r u kidding me? Personally if I could afford pizza, I sure wouldn't be sending it to any PI!

Default Re: Why Can't You Sue the Insurance Company's Investigators

Pokeno Here:

I have a quick question for Princess LA and/or Charles Stevens. I have read in a couple of posts that you advise people never to use the words "Can't" "Never"

What about if it is a restriction? Such as I am unable to lift more than 10 lbs or I can't sit for more than 20 minutes without getting up and stretching.

If it is a restriction, is it OK to use the words "Can't" "Unable to" ?

Pokeno