Oregon Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Oregon Workers

• Oregon Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Oregon Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Question What's a shoulder worth

had surgery for impengment/ tendonitis, torn rotator cuff.torn bicep tendons[tendons reattached with bolts] armioclavicular[1.5cm of bone removed] now have to get another procedure done because i cannot reach behind to even get my wallet out of pocket. budgeting as best i can but im gonna be short on somethings.been on wc for almost 5 months now. so what kinda offer should i look for in the end.

Default Re: whats a shoulder worth

permanent partial disability benefits are based on your impairment rating. Any offer will depend on the rating; the higher the rating the greater the permanent disability benefits.
    For more information
    http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/...tions/2876.pdf

okay thanks for you answer. my next question is wether or not the new procedure i have to have done is considered a seperate claim or just anothe condition to add to my claim

Jenroy, Welcome to the WC forum for IW's. If it is a procedure that is related to the original injury then it is an extension of the original claim.

Have a Great Day, Take Care, and Be Well

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

you are entitled to file a claim for each on-the-job injury you may have.
    Workers comp is not health insurance. you don't file a claim everytime you get treatment; you have to have a work injury for each claim.
    One injury often has multiple treatment plans.

Jenroy, I just wanted to add, I had a nearly identical injury and surgery with the exception of torn bicep. Beats me exactly why but recovery and therefore possible permanent impairment varies so wildly between patients it's absolutely impossible to predict even by asking someone with a similar injury. Determining a rating is a very subjective process too and all state formulas are different. There's just no way anyone could give you clue. Sorry.

Default Re: What's a shoulder worth

thanks for your answers. was told the new procedure was my choice. i found out to day that wc would cover it. i just want as much use of my arm back as i can get. so i am having it done. i am almost fifty and i do not want to have to start a new career at this point in my life. my job has excelent benifits and i have a family that needs the medical.but on the other hand i don't want to keep going under the knife. so i guess you can tell i am getting stressed out a little bit. thanks for letting me vent a bit. steelmagnolia i am glad you answered my ? i have read alot of your replies to other post and you seem to know quite a bit. so thanks for being there if no one has said it yet. the good side of this is i found out my typing skills aren't as bad as i thought lol.

Default Re: What's a shoulder worth

Jenroy, thank you. Like the others here I try to help if at all possible. Good luck to you with this additional procedure. Who knows it might just be the silver bullet to put the arm back to a more useful appendage.

The big problem with any injury/illness is that medicine is NEVER an exact science. At times it doesn't amount to any more than a WAG, Wild Assed Guess. What works extremely well for one patient has little to no effect for another. Might even go so far as to say that the same procedure that has a successful outcome for one could cause someone else more harm than good.

I guess the best way to put it is ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL where medicine and the human body is concerned. Even the opposite side body part on the same person doesn't always respond the same way to any given procedure/surgery. I have found this to be true with my recent shoulder surgery.

I had the right one done a few years ago and 6 weeks ago had the left one operated on for a nearly exact same type of injury. With my right shoulder I had less strength and stability at 6 weeks out than with my left shoulder. Yet with the left shoulder I have less range of motion than at 6 weeks with the right shoulder.

The surgical procedure used on the right shoulder was open surgery and the left was all done with the scope. I also used a different surgeon and Physical Therapist with each one. The bottom line is that the docs do the best they can with what "SHOULD" work for any one particular repair. There are just simply NO guarantees that it will be successful. Of course if your doc is suggesting that another procedure can help you and you currently can not use the arm the way you need to then you just have to take the chance that the additional procedure will be helpful. There are just too many variables when dealing with the human body to be sure ahead of time.

Best of luck to you be sure and keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take Care and Be Well.

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.