New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IME question

Default IME question

Will it benefit me to bring my private dr's med reports supporting my claim to the IME dr? I have a hearing coming up questioning permanency and apportionment to an unrelated MVA. Or should I let my attorney present it all as evidence on my behalf?

Default Re: IME question

A doctor should have a complete medical history to help support their conculsions.

The IME has probably has seen all relative information needed to evaluate your work injury, DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT take any of your past medical information to the IME!!! That doctor is going to use anything he can get his hands on to discredit you, and he will...believe me, he will.

Take any recent relevant information such as new test results or consultation reports with you to your IME and actual recent films can be very helpful. In many instances of an IME the examiner has not been provided with the most recent information because of the usual delays and also of records getting posted to files after the file had been pulled to copy the record for the IME which may have been done quite some time prior. While not every examiner will appreciate it, most are doing a competent and honest job and will want to see recent findings.

Quote Quoting Injuredworker101 View Post
    The IME has probably has seen all relative information needed to evaluate your work injury, DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT take any of your past medical information to the IME!!! That doctor is going to use anything he can get his hands on to discredit you, and he will...believe me, he will.
    The reason I ask if I shuld bring these recent reports that have not been given to the IC is that my initial injury is about 7 years old. This past July I had an unrelated MVA and fractured my right heel.

I went to a hearing 2 weeks later on crutches and thats when the judge awarded me "mild" disability benefits based on the IME report continuing the case. The following day I had surgery on my foot. No where had I claimed another injury to my back which is obviously work related.

It should also be noted that I'm receiving a disability pension from my job because of this. In September I went to see my private dr and told him that when I walked on crutches it was straining my back. Big mistake. He put that in his report.

In October I had another hearing regarding permanency and the ins co jumped all over that latest report. The judge allowed a new IME to see if there is apportionment and degree of disability.."if any." I've gone back to see the ortho who is treating my back and he states my injury is causally related to work, my neurologist also stated I'm being treated for a work related injury and the ortho who operated on my foot stated the symptoms to my back are secondary to the injury I sustained at work. This is why I wanted to bring these notes.

I also have the report filed by the insurance co dr in regards to the car accident who states that I complained of no injuries other than that to my foot. I've called my lawyer a few times already and all I get is a response from his secretary who says I can bring the report to the IME. I just don't know if it's the wise thing to do. Is it giving the doc an opportunity to try and discredit me by manipulating them or will it help me by proving the 2 accidents are obviously not related?

Exclamation Re: IME question

In New York state the IME request will tell you what you need to bring to the IME. Do this and only this, and when you go to a hearing, then bring any and ALL medical records!

Quote Quoting Q-man View Post
    In New York state the IME request will tell you what you need to bring to the IME. Do this and only this, and when you go to a hearing, then bring any and ALL medical records!
    Good enough for me. I'm just bringing my I.D.

Bring a witness and a tape recorder as well.

Tell the ime when it hurts and be sure to tell him when he causes you pain of any type.

Answer only with short and direct words such as yes and no

never trust your ime ....some may be ok .....but they are few and far between...

most important have a witness and tape recorder.!

The first one I ever went to said I stated I felt good and had no pain....that was the only time I ever went without support.

Quote Quoting hurtboy View Post
    Bring a witness and a tape recorder as well.

Tell the ime when it hurts and be sure to tell him when he causes you pain of any type.

Answer only with short and direct words such as yes and no

never trust your ime ....some may be ok .....but they are few and far between...

most important have a witness and tape recorder.!

The first one I ever went to said I stated I felt good and had no pain....that was the only time I ever went without support.
    do you have to tell him that you're planning on recording the examination?

do you have to tell him that you're planning on recording the examination?
    For an accurate answer to that, you would have to check in your own states laws on recording conversations.