Tennessee Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Tennessee Workers

• Tennessee Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Tennessee Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Private Investigators

hl2164,
    That would be a good way to get rid of them. If I ever see anyone parked down the road, as if they are hunting, then I will get the license plate and call the owner of the land to see if they have given permission to hunt. That will be a good start.
    Lue

Angry Re: Private Investigators

Lue, these people will go to any length to get what they want. Believe I know first hand from a reliable source a PI went in a screened porch and video'd someone in their living room!!! Of course, they weren't doing anything but laying down but the nerve.....The only reason the person knew they were there, is their neighbor saw them and asked later that day who was filming on their back porch and described the person?!

For me I have already noticed them following me, to therapy and all around. What I hate is I think they put one in the lady's locker room where I get dressed! This really disturbs me....so keep one eye open while you sleep, that's just how creepy these people are. I don't care about them seeing me do something, because I can't break my restrictions, or I would pay dearly at that moment or for sure later, it's just the thought that someone is always watching...as if someone would intentionally bring the wrath of WC into their life!
    ~

PI's do follow people. I have called the police on them myself and had them checked out only to be told that they were hired by my employer. That was in FL where I had an awful WC accident, and was put through hell. Here in TN, I have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel, and I anticipate the same sort of harassing mess. It is the reason I considered not filing the WC paperwork, but my theory is that we did not ask for these issues...and if our job is responsible they owe it to us to make it right. Let them follow you, follow your restrictions, and go to every appointment, it is also fun to alert your neighbors to the person, so they are forced to park at a nearby store or something. It sucks to be worried that this person is watching you, and your family...but usually they realize they won't catch you doing something wrong if you know they are there.

I think there are several purposes for surveillance. First, if they can catch someone doing something they shouldn't, it will work to the insurer's benefit. Second, it has a profound psychological effect on many i/w's and can be quite unsettling. It is often textbook harassment. Third, they will often edit hours of film into a short "greatest hits" tape, to create an illusion of impropriety when none exists. Just because you don't do anything wrong does not prevent them from trying to make it look like you do.
    I think private investigators are required to be licensed in all states. They are often regulated by the state police. Find out who regulates and how to properly complain and do so if they bend the rules even a little.
    Never allow yourself to be bluffed by the supposed existence of video evidence. Always demand to see any evidence before deciding to let it's existence influence decisions regarding your claim.
    The thing that private investigators seem to detest the most is having pictures taken of them. I wouldn't recommend an i/w jeapordize their claim to do so. All I can say is that they will crawl under their car seat to escape picture taking.

There is a website that shows BUSTED workers doing things like lifting heavy items and walking or jumping around all when they keep telling the drs. that there is pain. I can't remember the website and did not bookmark it but just do a google serach and u will see these a**hole* private insurance co. investigators doing their sleazy jobs..will also show videoclips of these BUSTEES shall we say? It's for the evil insurance companies as to give them a reason to not pay us our due pay and all documentation will be used in court! If it wasn't for ONE BAD APPLE IN THE BUNCH..they wd. have no job. there is always a cheater, con artist, lying , and lazy worker that would ACTUALLY PREFER to sit at home, get fat, not work, and receive the PALTRY POVERTY wages check instead of working like the rest of the free world.

It is cheaper to pay a P.i. than to pay out benefits to the i/w simple as that. Any claim that starts to get expensive will probably be videotaped...as my attorney told me. They will make out the most honest peron to be a liar if u giv them a reason to. If u are honestly in pain, on restrictions, and hurt ..DO NOT FEAR them. Just be aware that they might be watching. Do not get paranoid..it is to bust the dishonest ones. I agree with the other posts that if it becomes intrusive or scary by all means contact the police or tell your atty. or both. They prey on u with intimidation..do not let them win.

Unless you are flat out fraudulent, you have nothing to fear from a PI. They are not going to film you getting out of the shower. They are not going to tresspass on your screen porch. Unless they are incompetent, they are not going to park in front of your house and obviously watch it. Getting caught is not good for them. The police will not run them off if they are not breaking a law. More often than not, the only film they get is useless. So relax... only the guilty should worry.

Ok eveyone,another question? why do the IC hire these PI's? And are you not even suppose to go out of your house. This man sits right across from my house all the time. I wonder can he read what I review on my computer, is he listening to my phone and cellular phone conversations. He follows me everywhere. Has almost caused me to wreck. My ortho doctor told me to walk to strengthen my injuries, but im afraid he will take pictures of me walking and use that against me saying nothing is wrong with me even though it is doctor orders to walk. I tried it before and he followed me driving behind me every step of the way. I have there tag numbers. I am afraid to even keep blinds open. I stay in my restrictions at all times. I am always in a great deal of pain and have some days better than others. I want to get better. This whole ordeal is a nightmare. Please anyone with more info on these harrassers and there techniques and boundries, if any, let me know. I recently purchased 2 pit bulls, so It will be on them if they trepass on my property! Also, do you know if they can put a tracking device on your truck? I lost this guy last week, and he showed up at Fridays a hour later, dont know how. if so, what does it look like? The person that lives across from me has run this man off on more than one occasion. Also he has cursed at him. Will this hurt my case? I would like to confront him, but I have heard, that it causes only trouble, is this true, or should I just ask, why he is watching me? Also, he is gotten into bad habits of calling my phone trying to get me to leave my home. Even as to go as far as to say that my sig. other was seen with someone else at a certain place. They have used others phones to do this...Of course never disclosing there identitiy but the persons phone they used gives an exact description of the man and vehicle every time! They will go at any length to do whatever! Thank you All!

they hire the PI's to catch ppl doing things they arent supposed to be doing...or things that iw's claim they cant do. if they catch you lifting 50 pounds of whatever..after the dr says no lifting period...or they catch you jumping when you say you cant get out of bed...they can claim that you turned in a false claim...and they also watch you so that they can use any little thing against you to get out of paying your weekly benefits.

if they are a nuisance to you....CALL THE COPS!!!! tell them that you have no idea who it is...but they are following you everywhere you go and sit outside your home and watch you all the time..and that you are scared of them, not knowing who they are or what they are up to. the cops will come and tell them to move along..go away...and to stop harrassing you. i dont care what anyone says....no one can come on your private property without you knowing and film you inside your home. they might knock on your door and pretend to be someone sellin something or whatever, and film you from a pocket camera doing whatever....but they are not going to just step on your porch..peek in a window without your knowledge and film you.....thats extremely illegal!! that is for one..a 'peepin tom' and for two....thats trespassing on private property and they can be arrested for trespassing. if you feel that they MIGHT come onto your property...post a no trespassing sign up at the end of your driveway. Ive heard that they can put trackin devices on your vehicle...if you want to be certain.....take it to a mechanic and have them check out your vehicle for such devices. if they find it....stomp on it..........or....take it somewhere and leave it laying....that sure would waste a few hours of their time..sitting there waiting on you to move.....not knowing that you found/removed the device...and yet you would be looooonnnng gone by the time they realized that you found the device and set it somewhere. what other people do to get the PI's away from them has nothing to do with you....its not like YOU are in your neighbors head telling them to shoot them or whatever..your neighbor is responsible for his own actions....not you. phones.........change your number to an unlisted #...that will solve that problem.

last but not least..........get an attorney!

As Fairlady has told you get an attorney if you aren't already repped. That attorney should have enough sense to tell you to basically ignore the PI and let him/her do the job they were hired to do. Provided you are NOT preforming acts outside of the restrictions put on you by your treating physician you should not be worried about what if anything the PI might uncover.

No need to "stay inside your house", unless your doctor has been led to believe you can't walk and has given you restrictions to not walk. If that was the case then a wheelchair should be provided by the IC and the IW should be using it. If you can walk then the best thing to do is disclose that to your doctor so your restrictions can be modified.

As far as calling the law ya'll do what ever you can live with. Personally I would not consider calling the authorities for someone I knew damn good and well was a PI for the IC. I would recommend reserving calling the police for an actual emergency. Wanting a PI removed from your area really does not constitute an emergency, IMHO.

Tninjury how in the world can someone following you "almost cause you to have a wreck"? I could see it if they were in front of you and slammed on the brakes but from the rear how is that possible? As far as the phone calls what evidence do you have that the calls are from the PI's? Your comment about he description is somewhat confusing. Are you saying this guy goes to people you know and asks to use their phone to call and tell you your significant other is with someone else? That is what it sounds like but I am not really sure what it is you are saying there. I don't mean to be insulting to you Tninjury but in all honesty some of the things you say just don't make a whole lot of sense to me. You need to continue to walk if that is what your doctor told you to do. To not do so and have this PI report to the IC that he never sees you walking as ordered by your doctor could actually end up hurting you more than him reporting that you were out walking. Think about it, you are following the doctors orders when you go out and walk. That is something you say he tells you will help you regain your strength. To not be following doctors orders is really just asking for trouble from the IC.

I have a question for all those of you that insist that the PI's or IC's install tracking devices on your vehicles. Has anyone ever actually found one of these supposed tracking devices? I do not mean has anyone "heard" stories from others about finding them I mean first hand found one and had it identified as a tracking device? I really doubt anyone here can honestly say they have.

Those tracking devices you see placed on a vehicle in the movies, well let me just say IT IS THE MOVIES for crying out loud! Most GPS type systems call for more than a palm sized box being placed in some random hidden spot on a vehicle. The only ones I am familiar with are rather large units that must be top mounted on the uppermost part of the vehicle. If the vehicle is parked under a roof or even a very dense tree the signal is lost and the vehicle can not be located. In reality I have my very serious doubts about any of these types of devices being used to monitor the movements of the IW's of America. If for no other reasons it would be cost prohibitive to risk loosing a "tracking devise" when it was found and destroyed.

IF you are NOT preforming acts outside of those restrictions placed on you by your treating physician you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Even if the PI sits outside your home 24/7/365! Just be honest with your doctor and don't be trying to embellish your injury to be any worse than it is. Then you have NOTHING to worry about being uncovered. Some of these posts sounds more like paranoia setting in.

For the few that have had sub rosa submitted that was of say someone besides the injured worker or edited clips that make things look bad when they really aren't, then the facts will come out when you and your attorney are given the opportunity to view the video. No need to become a hermit on the outside chance the PI might be taking a few photos or a video. That is of course IF you are NOT committing fraud by claiming an injury that either does not exist or trying to embellish an injury to be worse than it is.

For legitimate injuries I can not conceive anyone not just carrying on with their normal routine on any given day. As a matter of fact normal activities should not be dictated by what the doctor says you can do but by what you tell the doctor you can or can not do. This should only be based on what your body tells you it will or will not tolerate. Think about it. If the doc put a restriction on you for say not lifting more than 20 pounds what do you think he based this on? It is based on exactly what you tell him/her about your condition coupled with what is standard medical practice for preventing further injury as well as giving the body a chance to heal etc... It isn't just some random thought he threw in there for good measure.
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.