Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Massachusetts Workers

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does Everyone Get A Lump Sum Settlement

Lump sum. When your case is about to close, does everyone on WC get a lump sum? If not who doesn't?
    Thanks

Default Re: Does Evreryone Get One

No.
    those with full recovery.

Default Re: Does Everyone Get A Lump Sum Settlement

Hi first time here. I have been on wc for over 5 yrs rsd. As anyone gotten a lump sum settlement for this. i was offered twice 80000 after att fee ic never followed through.

Lump sum settlements, to my knowledge in Mass, are not mandatory but rather discretionary. Insurance companies are likely to do a lump sum settlement of your case once you have obtained MMI or maximum medical improvement and you are likely not able to return to your previous job. Lump sum settlements are a way for insurance companies to close out a case and pay you a lump sum up front instead of paying weekly benefits for an extended period of time. Keep in mind however, that lump sum settlements typically require you to resign from your previous job and any future medical expenses you may incur for your injuries are your responsibility. However, you should contact a lawyer for more information.

Joe - www.ranonelaw.com

lump sums are done when you can't return to your previous work due to the work injury. in ma you are entitled to collect wc for a total of 7 years, your coming up on exhausting your benefits. if your doctor doesn't say your permanently and totally disabled then you will be without benefits for lost time in two years, that is something you should start addressing now. if you are permanently and totally disabled then your claim is most likely worth alot more then 80k, they were probably offering you that based on the total of benfits you are entitled to if you weren't permanently and totally disabled. if you are permanently and totally disabled, i suggest you consult a MA atty if you haven't already as the ic will take advantage of a pro-se injured worker who is permanently and totally disabled.

also, ma statute states medicals cannot be settled out, they stay open forever as long as you have no intervening accidents and the doctors remain causally relating your need for treatment to your work injury.
    Any postings I make are my personal opinions only. If you do not like what I have to say then please disregard.

Have RSD for 14 month and turned down $75,000 because no where near MMI
    Last edited by BulldawgOnFire; 02-05-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: oops...not 475,000...the shift button did not work..MEANT $$$75,000

Exactly....RSD is a serious injury and usually permanently disabling.
    Any postings I make are my personal opinions only. If you do not like what I have to say then please disregard.

I just settled my case last week. I had a 61% impairment rating and my employer would not take me back due to my restrictions. I ended up with $217,000, $100,000 of it was a lump sum and $117,000 will be in monthly payments for 15 years. My medical was left open for the rest of my life. I have had three surgeries (cervical) and will possibly need more. That's not really much money to cover being screwed up for the rest of your life. I'm 45 and hopefully have several more years to go.

Good for you. From what I have heard you have to be 100% impairment rating to get anything you can actually work with

Thanks for the info all. I just realize I did this question as if I was in new york