Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Double Spinal Fusion

I HAD A DOUBLE SPINAL FUSION ON JULY 21ST 2007 ON MY L-4,L-5,L-5,S-1. THIS LONG AFTER SURGERY I AM STILL HAVING SEVERE PAIN DOWN MY LOWER BACK AND MY LEGS. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD SIMILAR RESULTS? MY DOCTOR SAYS HE DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME....... I AM A FAIRLY YOUNG PERSON. I AM FROM ILLINOIS

Default Re: Double Spinal Fusion

Rinchard I have not had any surgery yet but i am having the same problem what steps did they go threw till they sent for surgery i myself am 28 years old and im concerned.......im from chicagoland

I too had a spinal fusion from L4-S1 anterior/posterior. I had mine on Nov 1st, 2006. I am still in lots of pain. I get the sciatic pain off and on in both legs and I have a burning pain in both feet, legs and back most of the time. I just had another MRI done today in Morton Grove, Il with a powerful 3.0 magnet machine which hopefully will show something that is causing all of this pain. I had an FCE test done last November and they told me I can lift up to 40#'s which I think they are crazy. I can not sit for very long periods or stand too long. My surgeon released me to work with the restrictions on the fce test. I have not returned to work yet because my employer did not have my position opened anymore. I had been off work since Sept, 2005. I am really getting disgusted now with all of this pain. I am also in pain management and see the pain doctor once a month. I take Opana, Opana ER, Topamax, Efexxor XR, and Lidoderm Patches each day. I have had 8 epidural injections over the past 3 years and 2 different back surgeries. My back always hurts and I keep getting this burning pain and my legs hurt off and on. If I do any lifting over 10 lbs I am in severe pain for many days. I will find out tomorrow what the mri report says and don't know what to do if it doesn't show something wrong.

Hello, I have not had this surgery, but my husband did on Nov 1, 2007 and Nov 15, 2007. He had L4-L5 ; L5-S1 anterior/posterior double back fusion cages and rods put in. And I am truely greatful for his surgeon Dr. Pencek. God Bless that man. My husband is doing so great. And has no pain, that is already back to work, of course it is modified duty.
    I have to say I really beleive it is what surgeon you have working on you.
    There is another guy at his work that had back surgery and the surgeon totally screwed him up for life. We are in Illinois as well, central Illinois.
    I can say that he did have the leg pains, numbness, needle pains, an all with back pain. He said after he woke up from the first surgery he had no more back pain or any leg problems just pain from the surgery.
    The first surgery in the front went from his belly button to public area, the back was about a 4 inch and 5 inch incision on the left and right side of his spine on lower back.
    My advice is if your still having problem from a surgery one surgeon did maybe find another that will be willing to go in and look into it.
    There is always a possibility for future surgerys if screw hit nerves.
    Best of luck to you all.

Quote Quoting RICHARD FUNGUS View Post

I HAD A DOUBLE SPINAL FUSION ON JULY 21ST 2007 ON MY L-4,L-5,L-5,S-1. THIS LONG AFTER SURGERY I AM STILL HAVING SEVERE PAIN DOWN MY LOWER BACK AND MY LEGS. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD SIMILAR RESULTS? MY DOCTOR SAYS HE DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME....... I AM A FAIRLY YOUNG PERSON. I AM FROM ILLINOIS
    Sorry for late post but computer was down. Rich sorry to hear your still in pain. Doesnt sound right. Have to say my fusion L-34, 4-5, worked good. Can sleep now. Bending is a bummer but still in therapy. Surgery was oct 07. If I had to do it again I would. Good luck