Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going Before An Administrative Law Judge For SSI/SSDI

hello every1,im just wondering if any1 out there has been in front of the alj?
    i just got a letter that i will be going(it dont say when)well im a nervous wreck.
    im asking if any1 has ever been in front of the judge? is there somthing that i should know? cause i really am nervous about all of this.i live in new jersey,and i just need some info any sorts please....thanks linda

Default Re: Going Before An Administrativt Law Judge For SSI/SSDI

if you were not nervous for your doctor or your lawyer you shouldn't be for an ALJ.
    generally you are expecting way too much. you'll be disappointed.
    Just a glorified lawyer in a very informal setting.
    workers comp is not criminal or civil law. forget the tv shows.
    they see hundreds of "nervous" first time workers all the time. you can't do or say anything that they haven't seen dozens of times.
    why don't you do a "dress rehersal/walk thru" before the real thing. just do down to the court area and check things out. get comfortable with the layout of the building and how things are run -- sit in the waiting room and watch. walk the halls. go to the cafeteria. You'll probably see a number of judges spilling coffee...
    but you won't know they are judges cause they look and act like you.
    Last edited by .SH; 01-27-2008 at 12:56 PM.

hi and thanks for your reply.
    well actually i was a nervous nelly"" when i first went to the lawyer's.im just a very nervous person...stinks...but i know i shouldnt be i have to calm down and look a the big picture..iknow i have to get my medical in order "well my records" cause that is the big thing i hear.
    i was also told it could take up to a year just to go to ALJ,thats crazy.ive been signed up since 11/06.if you dont mind me asking,did you go through this already?and if so how long did it take? im just being nosy,cause i know some people that wait like 3 years.i also went on this website that gives you ssd tips but they didnt have nj on it.idk why.ok i'll let ya go and also let ya know how i make out thanks again linda

Deanna23, can you tell me the web site you went to that did not have NJ on it. I am just curios.

I can not give any info on the issue of going before an ALJ. I was approved after requesting reconcideration for the first denial. I saw where you posted about getting your medical records in order. SSA should all ready have them, but I suggest you have your own copy.

Take Care

Your attorney should have all your medicals submitted for the hearing. If you are curious you could go to the SSA ALJ hearing building and request to view your file, and they will set you up on one of their computers, that way you'll know whether or not a important piece of medical file is missing, and you could bring with your to the hearing.
    Good luck!

good morning every1,i went on this website that was recomended to me it was...

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.c...isability.html

and it didnt have new jersey on it,it had alot of states though.
    and i dont know exactly where im gonna be goin but it says that we will notify you 20 days before date of the hearing to tell you its time and place...
    and it also says if you wish to see the evidence in your file you may do so on the date of the hearing or before that date.if you wish to review the file before the date of the hearing please call us.

this is all so confusing to me,i guess im gonna have to call to get my file and then add whatever they dont have,or doe's my laywer do that...idk im gonna have to do some calls today.
    thanks for all your advice,and please dont leave me...not yet im gonna need all of your support...thanks to all...linda

Default Re: Going Before An Administrative Law Judge For SSI/SSDI

well i just called my lawyer's offic and the sec. told me that i have at least 1year to 1and a half years before i go in front of the judge,i was like omg are you kiddin me.so she said she sent into for my records on 1/22 so they will be on a disc she say's so i told her i wanted a copy,so hopefully she will send me 1.
    i hope the w/c dont take that long...thats crazy never heard such a thing.and another thing she said was that sometimes a judge will look over your file and give you an approval,she said that has been happining alot latley.so idk i guess i will just have to sit and wait.if any1 heard of that please let me know,i think if i have to wait that long i will go crazy....any opinions or anything please inform me...thanks linda

Quote Quoting deanna23 View Post
    good morning every1,i went on this website that was recomended to me it was...

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.c...isability.html

and it didnt have new jersey on it,it had alot of states though.
    and i dont know exactly where im gonna be goin but it says that we will notify you 20 days before date of the hearing to tell you its time and place...
    and it also says if you wish to see the evidence in your file you may do so on the date of the hearing or before that date.if you wish to review the file before the date of the hearing please call us.

this is all so confusing to me,i guess im gonna have to call to get my file and then add whatever they dont have,or doe's my laywer do that...idk im gonna have to do some calls today.
    thanks for all your advice,and please dont leave me...not yet im gonna need all of your support...thanks to all...linda

Try this link for Jersey:

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/nj_ssdi_ssi.html

Default Re: Going Before An Administrative Law Judge For SSI/SSDI

hey,omg i must be an idiot....i looked and looked and coulnt find it...thank you....have a good nite...linda

Red face Re: Going Before An Administrative Law Judge For SSI/SSDI

Quote Quoting deanna23 View Post
    hey,omg i must be an idiot....i looked and looked and coulnt find it...thank you....have a good nite...linda
    Your an injured worker and not a idiot!

Not a problem, good luck!