Oklahoma Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Oklahoma Workers

• Oklahoma Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Oklahoma Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Functional Capacity Evaluation

I go for my FCE next monday, Feb. 4th. They say it will take 3 to 4 hours.

Has anyone been through this test?

Just wanting to know what to expect.

Thanks for any feed back.

Default Re: Functional Capacity Evaluation

Well, I had my FCE yesteday. I wasn't sure what to expect so I thought I would post my experience in case someone else woul like to know.

The test took almost 3 hours. They started out having me work sort of a peg board. Moving pegs from one panel to the next. I did this kneeling, standing (reaching over my head and about chest level.), squating and bending down. These tests were timed.
    They then tested the strength in my legs and hands and also measured my range of movement.
    Then I walked on a treadmill for about 10 to 15 minutes.
    After that they had me lift a basket that they added weights to as we went along. I lifted this basket from the floor to mid-body, from mid-body to about eye level and from the floor up to eye level then visa versa. I then carried the basket about 10 steps and back.
    I then walked some stairs and took a 20 minute walk on level ground.

The staff that I dealt with were very friendly. They told me I could take a break anytime. I could rest sitting down, standing, laying in the floor or they would find somewhere else for me to lie down if need be. I didn't have to finish any test. If it got too painful I could quit. I could even quit the entire test and maybe come back some other time if I wanted to. Absolutely no pressure to do anything I didn't want to do.

My doctor's appointment was for that afternoon, so they made sure the results were faxed to him before I got there.
    My doctor went over their calculations and gave me my permanent restrictions, which were "Permanent Light Duty", "Permanet No Lifting Over 20 lbs.", Permanent No Repetitive Bending" , etc...

The test was painful, I did push myself. I wanted to know my exact limitations as much or more than anyone. My doctors nurse said I would feel the pain for the next two or three days. She said this is normal.

So if anyone out there has to take an FCE and do not know anything about it, maybe my experience will help ypu.

Good Luck!:

I've been informed by CompSource that now I will go for a ratings exam. This exam will give me my disability percentage. I thought they would get that from my FCE, but I was wrong. They said they would set up the appointment and it will probably take place in 2 to 3 weeks.

Has anyone gone to one of these? Please let me know if you have so I will know what to expect. I guess I'm just one of those type of people who hate to go to something like this not knowing what's going to happen.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

You may want to contact your own or another doctor to get a rating independently of the one the insurance company is sending you to. If you need suggestions PM me.

Went or my ratings exam today.

They measured my height, checked my weight, then the nurse asked me alot of questions.

I then saw the doctor for maybe ten minutes. He asked some questions, checked my range of movement and took some measurments of my thigh and calf. We talked about the two MRI's that I was required to bring, but he didn't look at either one.

I then had some x-rays taken.

Even though the whole process took about 1 hours, most of that was waiting.

I don't see how they could get an accurate rating from what they did.

caribouman suggested that I get my own evaluation. I have contacted the clinic he mentioned and am in the process of getting that set up.

Hopefully this post will help some of you.

Good Luck, All!
    Last edited by grhodes50; 02-28-2008 at 08:10 PM.

I received an offer from wc this morning. I was truly surprised. In all honesty, it was in the ball park I was thinking. They actually offered a little over what the chart shows. I was expecting a lower offer after my ratings exam. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the doctor only spent about five minutes with me. I didn't think that was enough to get a proper rating. Maybe my answers to all the questions the nurse asked told them what they needed to know.

If I hired an attorney I probably would get more, but then he would get 20%. I ran the figures and it's just not worth it for me. But this is my case and your case is different. An attorney may be the way you need to go.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. WC, the doctors and nurses have all treated me with respect and kindness. The WC nurse called me every week to see how I was doing. From the date of my injury on June 7th last year untill my doctor released me on Feb. 4th this year. If I needed help with anything, a doctor's appoinment, medication, etc.., she took care of it promptly.

I don't mean to sound like an advocate for OKlahoma WC, but in reality I have been treated fairly. I know a lot of you have not. Hang in there and fight for what is fair for you.

Good luck to all of you and I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Last edited by grhodes50; 03-11-2008 at 07:28 PM.