Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Massachusetts Workers

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Work Injury Causing Ulnar Nerve Entrapment

Brat, hopefully you retained an attorney. They can lead you through the never-ending maze of WC.
    Insurance companies somehow, despite having all the financial resources that they do, end up paying way less for docs, hospitals, meds, etc., than does the person walking in off the street.
    Good luck and hang in there. It is a zoo ........

get a lawyer workers comp sucks for ma

Arrow Re: Work Injury Causing Ulnar Nerve Entrapment

You can file a "13 & 30" with the DIA, which is to get up there and try to get the medical care you need, or you can have a lawyer do it.

Under the law in MA comp. is only required to pay Medicaid rates; hardly any doctors will take that low a fee and comp. knows it. So you wind up unable to get the surgery you need and a long fight ensues.

The way it SHOULD work is that your injury should be paid for at the prevailing insurance rates from, say, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, now, so you can get back to work. Then there should be a mechanism to mediate the payment. Except your employer, who pays comp. taxes and hires an insurance company to handle your claims knows the insurance lobbyists will buy off the legislators who might otherwise pass some of the several dozen comp. laws now dying on the vine during yet another legislative session.

If you want to make a call, call the State house, 617-722-2000 and ask for Senator McGee's office; he's the chair of the Joint Committee on labor and Workforce Development. Tell them your story. You can google the committe, I'm sure, and get all of the names. It is frustrating because they will all tell you how concerned they are, but think about it for a moment; how many of our legislators here are lawyers or insurance agency owners. They don't want anything to change. This is why I created the MA Injured Worker's Alliance...but nobody wants to join me. I don't know what people are afraid of. Comp. is going to ruin your life anyway; at least go down fighting. They can't take away your right to free speech.

Anyway, keep in mind that the DIA is a quasi-state agency, like the Turnpike authority, and has NO governmental oversight. This should sicken you. The Governor can't help you, even if he wanted to, which he doesn't. Romney was Governor when I appealed for help from his office and I was turned away and told the Governor had no control over comp. Until this changes we are all sunk. Don't let the state flag at 600 Washington St. fool you, or the state seal on the letterhead. It's just there for show. NO taxpayer money funds comp. It's insurance and lawyer driven and provides good jobs at good wages. I bet you didn't know that when you hire a lawyer, and they tell you they take 15%, they don't tell you they get paid every time they file something for you or go up to the DIA with you. The 15% is just on the settlement; they make tons of money from all those visits for all their clients. Think they want a fairer system for the injured worker?

Sorry to be a downer, but my personal experience as an injured worker, plus all the advocacy and effort I've put into trying to get some publicity shed on how comp. hurts the worker, rather than what I see which is when somebody scams the system, tells me a lot about who's in charge and how much apathy there is among injured workers. We need to be organized. We need publicity. But I can't do it alone, although I continue to try.

our4brats just to let you know watch it. Your workers comp is doctor shopping. They didn't like the out come of the first IME doctor and your doctor so that is why they sent you to another IME because they know or paid him to say it. This is exactly what my lawyer said to me about my case. If you do not have a lawyer get one asap. They will screw you in the end unless you have an attorney to fight for you.

thank all for your input.
    I have followed advice of lawyer when this all came about. and wanted to thank all of you for giving advice. so the lawyer i obtained told me to go for this second opinion that w/c wanted me to with their doc. so i went and guess what their doc said i needed suregery but he suspects its genetic (what a joke) so i told my lawyer what he said and my lawyer said that actually works in our favor. because now my doc is submitting surgery approval through my health insurance along with the denial from w/c so hopefully health insurance will pay for it. and lawyer says we will prove in court that i never had a problem before this and my docs records will prove i have never been seen for any kind of arm trouble. so hopefully i can get on with my life. but i have one stupid question if these insurance companies are all about saving money why wouldnt they pay for surgery months ago and i would most likely be back to work already ?? makes no sense to me

Quote Quoting our4brats04 View Post
    i live in ma. fell at work broke my wrist. and have ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow. i have been seeing my doctor now for about 7 months.the first emg came back neg. he sent me for a repeat emg and came back positive for lesion at the elbow. two days befor i saw my doc i saw the IME doc who spent 15 minutes with me during the exam. then i went to see my doc 2 days later to discuss the emg report. he reccomended surgery and submitted to workers comp. then i find out today that the surgery was denied by workers comp because their IME doc said i didnt need it. How is a doctor who has seen me once for 15 minutes suppose to decide if i should have surgery or not oppose to the doc that has been seeing me for 7 months?
    what do i do now?
    Any input greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance
    Simply put, it's their job to say "no" to everything. My husband went through it with W/C and finally had to quit his job because the pain was too much (herniated disc in his neck) never sued or anything but they put him through the ringer. If their dr's say "yes" then they're going to get replaced by someone who will say "no" you're not injured. It's a horrible way to make a living, but they're sleeping well at night while the rest of us who get ligitimately injured (I was in a car accident not w/c) suffer in pain. They could absolutely have done the surgery long ago, but then that would be admitting fault and it's the "pain and suffering" part of the settlement they're worried about the most. It's all a darn shame but it's reality. I hope you feel better and things work out for you.

I agree with most of what you say but the pain and suffering part is way off. you don't even get pain and suffering for your work injuries....this can be very misleading information to injured workers.
    Any postings I make are my personal opinions only. If you do not like what I have to say then please disregard.

Hi Brats,

BEFORE you get surgery, make certain that you do not have RSD/CRPS. It is VERY COMMON with NERVE injuries. I have had it for 12 years, and my injury began with an ulnar neuropathy, and suspected CTS.

Please go to RSDS.org, and on the Left hand side of the page I believe there are links for the signs, symptoms, facts, etc.

Best wishes.

LA

thank you princess,
    I have read all about RSD and it is suspected but the emg report also shows significant lesion at the elbow. My doc has asked advise of several RSD proffessionals and the opinion is to go ahead with surgery due to significant muscle loss. But thank you for your opinion and surgery will finally be covered of course not by WC but by health insurance. Lawyers will battle that after i have had surgery they just want me to get better no matter who pays for it. and so do i.

hi all
    just wanted to drop in to let you know i have had surgery and pain isnt too bad. and doc says everything went well. thank goodness! now i feel like i will someday have my life back. if it wasnt for the great support from this board i dont know what i would have done. so just wanted to give a great big THANK YOU to all of you. not that the fight is over but i atleast got the medical care. right?