Default Knee Replacement, Retirement, Disability

I applied for SSDI and had an interview in the middle of December, with a huge pile of medical records and work and training history. The lady said she thought I would be approved because of my age (61), upcoming knee replacement because of bad arthritis in my knee, past surgery and permanent partial disability in my other knee, shoulder injury, and my other medical history. I have also begun the process for getting disability pension from my union.

Is there any reason not to go ahead with the union benefit before hearing back from Social Security? Do I need to let Social Security know I have in fact had the knee replacement Feb 1?

Also, there is a form I need to turn in to the union benefit office from my surgeon for short-term disability payments while waiting for the permanent pension. On it he has filled out Time loss authorized 2/01/08 through 3 months, and on the line for If still disabled, when should patient be able to return to work? it says 5/1/08. I can never go back to work in construction with a knee replacement, so I'm confused and worried about this. Is this a standard way to fill these kinds of forms out? Did he goof? Should I worry?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Knee Replacement, Retirement, Disability

You should determine the actual dates of entitlement and the maximum amounts you may be entitled to.
    Under SSA/SSDI rules IF you are approved for your SSDI benefits, you would be capped at a max of 80% of your average wage when you stopped working.
    It may be better to wait until you are age 62 and access your ''retirement'' SSA benefits as there you would have an offset due to age but not subject to the disability cap.
    If you receive the permenant/long term disability from the union contract, you could loose valuable benefits from SSA...

First find out exactly how much you would be offset from SSA for taking a ''disability'' benefit, vs a ''early retirement'' benefit. The only difference in the SSA would be your entitlement to Medicare whoud be delayed until you are 65 yrs. vs 24 months after the award of SSDI.

What you goal is, is to maximize the dollar amount of your ''retirement''...You say you are 61 now...it may be in your be$t interest to wait until your 62nd birthday... you can check with your local SSA office, they will be happy to help you maximize your entitlement. You may be better off withdrawing your application for SSA/SSDI...
    You have to ''do the math'' as it would be...

But, as to your notification issues... you MUST notify SSA of ANY change in your financial and/or physical condition...

Quote Quoting TheFishman View Post
    I applied for SSDI and had an interview in the middle of December, with a huge pile of medical records and work and training history. The lady said she thought I would be approved because of my age (61), upcoming knee replacement because of bad arthritis in my knee, past surgery and permanent partial disability in my other knee, shoulder injury, and my other medical history. I have also begun the process for getting disability pension from my union.

Is there any reason not to go ahead with the union benefit before hearing back from Social Security? Do I need to let Social Security know I have in fact had the knee replacement Feb 1?

Also, there is a form I need to turn in to the union benefit office from my surgeon for short-term disability payments while waiting for the permanent pension. On it he has filled out Time loss authorized 2/01/08 through 3 months, and on the line for If still disabled, when should patient be able to return to work? it says 5/1/08. he put a date instead never go back to work in construction with a knee replacement, so I'm confused and worried about this. Is this a standard way to fill these kinds of forms out? Did he goof? Should I worry?unless this is Workers comp claim then those dates should be closely watched but SSI no sweat .unless it a form asking when can you go back to work or expected to go back then you might have issues get him to put indefinites .
    I haste to say with out seeing the form .
    Thanks for your help.

aply for all you can get it may take years b4 you get SSI it could be well into your retirement you get your back pay.File for your union you never know how Long it will take .
    Last edited by IW101; 03-04-2008 at 05:15 PM.

apply for all you can get it may take years b4 you get SSI it could be well into your retirement you get your back pay.File for your union you never know how Long it will take .

Have your doctor correct that kindly ask top use return work date indefinite
    do you have a attorney ? I have a really good form for your doctor to fill out that could help you 100 percent as doctors like to dance and understate all the time /

If you live in CA , and hurt on the JOB file for SDI ASAP even if they refuse it , you still have it filed and they must go back to date you filed as your quarters after your TTD benefits stop ., when I started getting PD payments I got well over 30 grand in SDI money and SSDI money was well over 50 grand that was nice little boost /you have the right to file do not take no for an answer I had a SDI person tel me I could not I pushed it to her supervisor .I won too.Also other time they will tell you your not int-led years after even if you did file pro-ply after your hurt , they are wrong do not take no for a answer ,.But you must file when your first hurt to lock in your SDI Benefit if you dont you lose and many AA do not tell the clients:{
    Last edited by IW101; 03-04-2008 at 05:30 PM.