Texas Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Texas Workers

• Texas Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Texas Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can I Switch Orthopedic Surgeons?

Hey all,

I am wandering if I can switch orthopedic surgeons. I had a meniscus repair in December and I injured my right knee while doing physical therapy earlier this month. Just a little history, my current os dismissed my injury on the first knee and he didnt look at xrays or mris, just read the reports. I had a tilt in both kneecaps and when I brought the xrays back to him, he said I needed surgery (3 months later.) I had an mri and xrays of my right knee injury and I saw him Friday. He said the reports said everything was normal and he didnt address why I have a large amount of swelling on one side of my right knee. I also still have major pain problems with my left knee (operated knee), I still cant walk without a crutch and I have a tugging pain in my knee cap when I bend it. Im currently taking about 4 pain pills daily. I want to see another os to make sure I am healing okay and to make sure my right knee is ok. I also failed to mention that my meniscus repair did not show up on the first mri for the left knee, which is why Im highly skeptical of it now. I just feel as though he is not listening to me.
    Should I call my adjuster and request a change?
    Also, I managed to stand for about 1 1/2 hours on Saturday, I went home and I could hardly walk. The pain was horrible in both knees. I know there is something going on... Any advice?

Thanks much!
    Shannon

Default Re: Can I Switch Orthopedic Surgeons?

After you have chosen a doctor, any request to change doctors must be approved by the local Division office handling your claim.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wc/employ...edicalbenefits

If you are in a medical network, You can see any doctor in that network. If you are not in a network you would need a referal from your treating dr.. Once you have the referal you can see the dr. but nothing can be done with out prior approval from the ic.

The short answere is yes you can change surgeons.

can I get the approval from the ins co without going through my dr? Im certain he will not approve of me wanting to see another physician.

I just remembered, If you are not in a network you can change doctors one time without a referal. You will have to choose a doctor from the approved list. I had to change dr back in 05. I sugest you contact the ic and get a list of doctors in your area as well as the form you need to fill out. Once the form is filled out by you it will need to be sent to the new doctor ( for that doctor to sign, excepting you as a new patient) and then sent to the ic.

Quote Quoting aqa View Post
    I just remembered, If you are not in a network you can change doctors one time without a referal. You will have to choose a doctor from the approved list. I had to change dr back in 05. I sugest you contact the ic and get a list of doctors in your area as well as the form you need to fill out. Once the form is filled out by you it will need to be sent to the new doctor ( for that doctor to sign, excepting you as a new patient) and then sent to the ic.
    The Commission doesnt have the approved list anymore. You can go to anybody who will take you as a patient (any doctor) but you still have to fill out the form and get the new doctor to sign saying they will take you. The commission has to approve the change, call them for the form if you ins. co plays dumb.