Unhappy Meniscus Injury And Continued Pain - What To Do

Some of you know that i was injured nearly a year ago -I fell off a ladder and tore my lateral meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery in June of last year. I still have soreness, am unable to bend my knee back all the way, cannot kneel even with a soft pad, and cannot squat and hold up my legs long enough to squat at work. I've been back to the dr. and he prescribed PT for hamstring tendinitis in both legs. I also have a back issue going on too--L4-5 is herniated and I have a disc totally dried out. Also...T6-8 have tiny herniations (not caused by the fall by the way). I have severe DDD, and some complicated nerve damage/pain. By that I mean that the pain, severity, and frequency changes daily. I had 3 ESI injections last year to help calm the inflammation.

It's been 4 weeks and I've had PT. It's helped a little (my legs don't feel quite as tight, but I still cannot squat enough, and so I end up doing part of my job on the floor b/c I cannot hold myself up.

I've been researching what else could be wrong. On this board, (or one of the other forums, I've read about RSD, and thinking I may have symptoms. Dr. wants to do an EMG b/c he now suspects my back may have something to do with the pain in my knee. (My right knee does not hurt the same way as my left one does--the nerve pain is more severe there, but I have much more flexibility in my right leg than my left. My left leg is weaker, and the knee sometimes feels like it buckles from time to time, causing me to trip sometimes.

A couple weeks ago, I fell and landed on that knee (slipped on ice) and it's severely bruised and that's taking forever to heal.

What do I do now? Do I suggest the possibility of RSD, fibro (both of which I have symptoms of? Whatever the deal is, I know for certain, or at least I think so, that i should NOT be in as much pain as I am now and I just don't know to do about it.

I've been treated for the meniscus injury through surgery and PT. I am being treated for the back issue. I've seen a rheumatologist to rule out RA or some other inflammatory issue. Do ask to be admitted? Do I /can I ask all 4 dr. (Knee, back, pain management and rheumie, to all meet and discuss this issue and what we can do to get better?) Do I just let Knee dr. figure it out or what?

Default Re: Meniscus Injury And Continued Pain...wtd?

I had meniscus injury to both knees in 2005, a work injury. My left knee, both sides of the meniscus was torn, I had surgery 5 months after the injury.

My knee was never right after the injury as I continued to have giving of the knee, and a lose feeling of the knee. I could not do the walking needed to function and would rent a scooter when needed.

I went to the knee surgeon last week and as expected I need a total knee replacement.

My right knee was also injured and I had meniscus surgery 16 months after the injury, I am told I will need a total replacement in the future.

Good Luck.

Default Re: Meniscus Injury And Continued Pain...wtd?

I fell and twisted my right knee tearing the lateral meniscis. About 80% of that has been removed with first scope. One month later, second scope removed debris and about another 10% of meniscus. Five months after that, a third scope had to scrape underneath my kneecap and release the kneecap because it had become displaced. Needless to say, I'm going through a fourth surgery coming up to completely release the kneecap. I've started osteoarthritis already and have constant snapping/popping in the knee. I was given a triple phase bone scan to test for "nerve" disorders and it came back negative. Bending, climbing stairs, pushing grocery carts, sitting for lenghth of time or standing/walking is very painful. I have since lost my position at work and seems to be never ending. Make sure you pursue second opinions. I have seen four doctors and thankfully my most recent is trying to "fix" me. I wish you the best of luck as the knee is definately a tricky part of our bodies, but much needed !

Thumbs up Re: Meniscus Injury And Continued Pain - What To Do?

Have a physical therapist check your IT band. Ever since my accident I have had problems with it and my physical therapist said I have the tightest one he has ever seen and can cause a great deal of pain.

Default Re: Meniscus Injury And Continued Pain - What To Do?

What is the IT band? I had medial meniscus tear surgery almost 2 months ago on and I am still in a great deal of pain every day. I've been going to PT twice a week and have gotten a little better with my range of motion but still have a lot of pain in the knee. My rt knee is now hurting since I've been putting so much weight on it. Dr. said at last visit the rt knee is compensatory but it bothers me a great deal. I feel the dr is trying to get rid of me and keeps saying I had arthritis in my knees and this was bound to happen in the future, however, I was not bothered by it prior to the accident and certainly didn't have this much pain all the time.

acumba

A meniscus injury is very painful and the pain often continues even after surgery.

I had meniscus injuries to both knees, the meniscus injury to the left knee was extensive with both side of the knee involved. The pain involved was very intensive and did not let up even after surgery. For many months I had little sleep due to the pain.

Medical treatment for my left knee was delayed for five months, I now requre a total knee replacement of this knee and will need one in the future for my right knee.

THis is a web site that I use.
    http://www.kneeguru.com
    Last edited by Lynn; 03-31-2008 at 09:14 AM.

I tore my right medial meciscus on 7/12/12 while delivering mail. I continued to work, walking approx. 5 miles a day, causing more damage, up till the day before my surgery n 10/2/12. I was told that I would be out of work approx. 2-4 weeks. Needless to say I am still out of work. The surgery included repair of the torn medial meniscus as well as removal of loose bodies and a chondroplasty. I have been doing PT 2 times a week since mid october. I still have pain in the knee and have now been diagnosed with degerative arthritis of the medial femeral condyle. PT is not helping with the pain where the arthritis is. I am tired of the pain and am wondering if I should talk to the doctor concerning a possible knee replacement so I can get back to work and a normal life, or should I get a second opinioin.

you should start your own thread and get a second opinion.