Ohio Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Ohio Workers

• Ohio Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Ohio Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Voc Rehab with Vocworks

Without explaining the whole thing in detail i will give a short version tore a disc in May of 2007, Have not been back to work since then. My POR put in a C-9 request for me to have 6 weeks of work hardening to see if i could possibly go back to work at my previous job (Police Officer) Workers comp denied the C-9 and sent me to see their Dr for an IME....Their Dr agreed with my POR and stated that i was not MMI. Now my caseworker from careworks contacted me today and said that in order for them to approve the 6 week work hardening program that i would need to go thru Voc Rehab with Vocworks......

My caseworker from careworks told me that me and my POR would still be in control of my case and that my TTD compensation would not be effected at all? He said that it would just give me a case manager to help me along??? Is their anything here that sounds suspect? Does anyone know anything of the process i am talking about and is Vocworks reputable??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. By the way i did tell my caseworker for careworks that i would be interested in this tenativly if it would get things moving and of course will want my attorney to advise me on this. At the moment i am awaiting a return call from my atorney.

Default Re: Need Your Help Please ? About Vocworks..

Remoc:

Vocational rehabilitation is designed to assist you in returning to the workforce in a position other than the one that you had when you were injured. Through voc. rehab., you will receive assistance in finding work that is both within your general capabilities (with respect to your education, experience, and other suitability factors) as well as your physical abilities (your doctor's work restrictions or the results of an FCE).

In order to be eligible for voc rehab, at a minimum, you must have an allowed claim that resulted in lost time, and your injuries must be such that they present a significant impediment to reemployment.

If you enter a voc rehab program, you will receive living maintenance payments while you are enrolled. These are essentially the same as temporary total, but with two important differences: (1) the weekly or bi-weekly check may actually be higher than your TT check; and (2) in a state-funded claim, the money comes from the Bureau's surplus fund and is not assessed against the employer's experience rating.

VocWorks is reputable. It's an arm of CareWorks, which is the largest MCO in Ohio.

My take on voc rehab is that it helps some people quite a bit. The only problem with it is that -- and this is just in my experience -- they find a way to get rid of the difficult cases (people who are tough to reemploy, for whatever reason) as soon as they can. Also, if they close your program and you have to re-apply for temporary total, the Bureau will almost always oppose it.

Hope this helps,

DB

OK from my experience with voc works. 1st they set you up with a rehab. rep. 2nd they try for same job same employer. then same job different employer. then different job different employer.3rd they will work on getting your rating lower then really is.4th they will try many things to get rid of you. 5th you go job hunting for jobs you can not do.6th at end of program, they will shut you down, out in cold, no money, no more help. 7th then they will work on getting medical shut down. good luck. hope you do better then i did with this.

Hubert's assessment is not too far off from what I have seen with many of my clients. In your situation, however -- the way I read your post, you're actually wanting to return to work in your former position of employment -- it might not be a bad thing.

One other thing about vocational rehabilitation: when you've completed a program, no one can really say that you're a malingerer or you haven't made an effort to return to work. Comes in handy at permanent total hearings.

You are free to choose your own vocational rehabilitation program, though. You don't have to go with VocWorks.

Hello,

I have been working with vocworks for 3 years, My NCM is enployed by them, I was trying to return to my same enployer but with my restrictions I can't, or should I say there is'nt a job for me.

I went into job search, wich, vocworks is about 10 years behind, I was informed I needed to make 15 face to face job contacts, did not mater if I could do the job or not, was taught how to lie to enployers, was compared crimals and dead beat parents.

In todays world of enployment you can't walk in to a HR department and say I was looking for you job openings, the reply I gto was " it is a different day and age you must apply on line for all open positions' 6 DIFFERENT ENPLOYERS TOLD ME THIS.

So I report back to the troll and I am informed that I am non compliant and she will make sure I never see a dime of wage loss pay

now that I am not working with the troll I have had 5 interviews in the last week.

Oh and the NCM filled out return to work forms and handed them to my POR and said please sign # whatever it is on that form, as he and I were in the middel of a conversation he signed and I was releassed back. My Por was pretty mad at her and himself for trusting the stalker.

I want to work, wanted to stay with my enployer.

Just wach everything you say and do.
    they are IC h**s .
    EM

i have about as much nice to say about NCM's and rehab reps. which is nothing, i can find to say about them nice. i was in program from 10-07 to 4-08. only ones whom benefited from me doing the assisted job search was the rehab rep, and the one whom assisted me in the job search. i busted my ass, and they said i blew the job searches. i refused to lie. lieing is same as fraud. you are set up to fail. out of 650,000 workers in the system, only 120 was sent to school to be retrained. i fighting for PTD now, they saying i did not put in enough effort to get a job. i want to spend rest of my life drawing the 1990 wage average. yeah right. i did 7 to 10 more contacts then they wanted every week. voc rehab is a JOKE. at best, they do next to nothing, to really help an injured worker, whom has life changing injury's.

Talking Re: Need Your Help Please ? About Vocworks..

VOC REHAB/CAREWORKS....HA! MY EXPERIENCE IS ..when you say something to them they twist it all around to make you look bad and they look good...they want to get you into voc rehab to get your TT stopped, if you know darn well you won't be able to return to your job, and you get into this your in trouble...on the other hand if your doctor says your not feasible for voc rehab at the time they use it against you in a hearing,...BELIEVE ME I KNOW, THATS WHAT THEY DID TO ME....I SEE ALL THEIR DOCUMENTATION ABOUT ME ON THE COMPUTER..THOSE RATS...LIE! LIE! TWIST YOUR WORDS AROUND....when my doctor said it wasn't feasible for me at the time, they turned around and said in their notes that i wasn't intersted, SEE what i mean..and the IME doctor put in his report that I wasn't interested in voc rehab, just because i said i knew at this time i couldn't possibly physically do my job,,,if your not ready to return to your job because of your injury you better not go for their scheme..and DOUBLE/BUCKEYE..that's not fair that they can use this against you in a PERMANENT Disibility hearing, because i have heard that before...Emily is right be careful what you say, because i get so mad that i say what i think and they write it and add more to it....Did you injured workers ever read the documentation about yourself in the reports...Try reading it on the web...You will be shocked! I say they don't care a thing about you/US...IT'S MONEY! AND THEY WANT TO GET YOU OFF THE SYSTEM THE FASTEST WAY THEY CAN ! POLICE OFFICER, you don't have to use Careworks/Voc rehab, you can choose your own...which is exactly what I would do., they just want to get you off TT and you'll play heck getting back on it, so i hope if your going for this your ready to return to work .. I have had nothing but bad experience with my MCO case managers...which i won't mention..

As an aside, Bankrupt referred to comments about injured workers that are available on the web. I assume that you all use Dolphin (the BWC's website) to check up on the status of your claim, etc. In doing so, be sure to review the "notes" section that pops up on the side when you click "claim reference." You can get a great deal of valuable information from checking the notes entered by the CSS and the MCO's representative in notes -- including some nasty comments that never actually make it in to a document.

Forewarned is forearmed.

-- DB

Question Re: Voc Rehab with Vocworks

Do you have a link for that site?

Default Re: Voc Rehab with Vocworks

VOC WORKS IS NOT REPUTABLE. ]I have been away from the forum for a while. For a long time my pet peeve was voc rehab with the MCO's bastard children, the voc rehab companies who perform the rehab and have direct connections with the MCO's. In this case VocWorks colludes with Careworks. There are private voc companies that are much more apt to look out for your interest.

VocWorks has, for a long time, done nothing more that go through a bunch of malarkey and report to the bureau that a good faith effort to find a job had not been done, written a negative case closure, left the injured worker with no benefits, and collected an easy 15k for the little bit they do. They cherry pick the cases that are reasonably easy to deal with, leaving the tougher cases to the companies which are not in bed with the MCO's. What with the changes that have gone on in the state for about the last six months they may be acting on their best behavior because these issues came to light in the wake of the workers' comp fiscal scandals that rocked the state.

There is no requirement that you perform fifteen face-to-face contacts. I have a letter from the bureau, in response to a letter sent to Gov. Strickland where I pointed out that it is stupid and irresponsible to neglect those sources because it is not 1974 any more. The technology exists, potential employees are often expected to have some proficiency in using computer programs and applications, and employers do not want the foot traffic in their place of business. There is no magic number fifteen in the OAC either, but indications that a reasonable effort be made. The bureau letter states straightforwardly that other forms of contact, e.g., internet, classified, phone, fax, or postal mail contact are acceptable. It is reasonable, to my mind, that the preponderance of contacts made be made in person.

I am more than certain that the bureau got heat from the governor's office to make this accommodation. I do not think the issue will disappear though. When they find a loophole they can be certain to use it.

You have the right to go into voc rehab with another company. I can recommend Markey and Co. in Toledo. If not with them, shop around. Run, don't walk, away from VocWorks. Many of those companies will advocate for you and help you with reasonable direction, not require that you lie to prospective employers, and perform your job search within your medical limitations.

Anyone having any doubts that I have been arguing this for a long time can look through my past posts.