Ohio Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Ohio Workers

• Ohio Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Ohio Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: Bulging Discs

Default Bulging Discs

i had fusion at c6 c7 have had nothing but trouble since. i stated for long time pain was worsening. recent mri shows bulging discs at c4 c5 is this something common that happens years after this type of injury and surgery? my case is still opened but since being at mmi i had to wait till medicare kicked in to have tests and treatment done. thanks

Default Re: Bulging Discs

Cat:

I am not a doctor, but I see this again and again in my clients. It is very common to develop problems at the disc level above where one has a fusion, both in the cervical and lumbar spine. Your doctor should put together a narrative report stating that the C4-5 bulge developed by way of flow-through as a result of the fusion at C6-7 (which was authorized and directed to treat an allowed condition in your claim), and you or your attorney should file a motion seeking the allowance of the C4-5 bulge.

If your motion is granted, all of the bills that medicare paid should be submitted for reimbursement by the Bureau or the self-insuring employer. You will also be eligble for temporary total benefits and an increase in your permanent partial disability award.

Hope this helps.

-- DB

thank you DB it helped alot!!! i wasn't sure if this was something i needed to contact lawyer about but i certainly will. the surgery was in 2001 and i've had nothing but trouble and worsening in the past year and a half. i could tell there was a different pain. the huge problem now is since i was diagnosed with RA all the ime's have said this is all my problem now and not from the original incident. i went to my last hearing, lost, appealed and lost again the dho stated it was due to the RA. i have 8 allowed claims and none of those are symptons of RA. just away to pass the buck i guess. this is a self insured company which has fought hard to deny everything. until now i always won at hearings which were quite often, however it delayed my treatment by months even years. thanks again

p.s forgot to say i got a 42% disability rating

Cat:

Glad to help. If you succeed in having the C4-5 disc added to the claim, you should be looking at an additional 6-8% WPI at a minimum.

-- DB

thanks again will i be facing a big fight since it has been 7 years since the fusion or is the bulging discs something that takes time to appear?

Cat, as a side note to go with what DB said. I have had L4-L5 fused, almost 2 years ago now. My surgeon said that the disk space above and below will always be at risk of problems. I don't really think there is any timeline associated with it. Those spaces around the fusion now do more work than before to compensate for the fused area.

thanks jojo, i will check into it. i guess i am jus nervous to start the nightmare again BUT if i don't look out for myself i am a fool. thanks again

Not necessarily a fool. The thing is, only you can tell when something has gone wrong again with things like this. Nobody else felt the pain from the first injury except you, and you are the one who knows if it has happened again or not. You just have to stick up for yourself against the BWC and the insurance companies.