North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured North Carolina Workers

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: Surgery

Default Surgery

I have asked this question before but would like to get a more clear picture of the outcome. What would happen if 2 suregeons recommend surgery but I refuse to do so. I am hurting my case, potentially risking my TTD checks. I do not want to have neck surgery. Though still in pain and uncomfortable everyday, epidurals, nerve blocks and medication have made the pain bearable.

Default Re: Surgery

I know it's a scary decision, but from this end, let me tell you that I am so glad I did have the surgery. I could not take the pain any longer, it was unbearable. the risk of not getting the surgery were far greater then the risk of surgery. I was told without it, I could end up in a wheelchair, even if my symptoms got better, I was still at risk.
    so I did it, 6 weeks ago...still in a neck brace but my risk are gone, and I'm feeling much better.
    just wanted to let you know if you do have the surgery, what it's like afterward, at least for me....just wanted to give you some peace of mind, I know I was looking for people that had it done before mine, I was a wreck before, so I know how you feel.
    Good Luck to you, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

from what i was told by my attorney...

if i refuse surgery......they can rip my weekly benefits away...declare me as mmi....and send me back to work as is....and that i would have no restrictions at all placed on me.

as my attorney said....best thing to do is procrastinate. the ic cant force you to have a surgery done.....what happens is...eventually, they will go to the industrial commission after a certain amount of time (approximately 6 months) and tell them that you havent scheduled surgery....the industrial commission will then tell you that you have to either have the surgery or refuse it, but you have to make that choice right then. i would check with your attorney...dont go on my word..this is what my attorney told me. i would just tell your attorney that you are "on the fence" about having surgery....do not tell him that you dont want it done!! just make sure he understands that you havent decided one way or the other, that one day, you think you want to....next day, you are scared, etc......and ask him how long you have to make that decision before the ic starts yelling, etc, and threaten to take away your benefits etc

Sent back to work without restricitons. That doesn't sound right. I can never do the same job I was doing with or without the surgery. Had a pretty physically damanding job and was making a decent salary. Finding a job making close to what I was making is going to be near impossible. Guess the biggest issue I have with the surgery is that I will never be able to return to the same type work, regardless. Also as I mentioned in past post, I have two brothers that had similar surgery to what I am facing and both advised me not to do it. Both, were not W/C injuries though and it apears I will be forced to have the surgery.

well the way they are looking at it...if you refuse surgery, then you are telling them that you are fine and dont need it.
    they are supposed to treat you and get to as close to pre-injury condition as possible....if you dont allow them to do it....then why should they have to continue paying your benefits, medical expenses, etc? (in their eyes)
    what is your injury? do you have an attorney?

in my situation, i most likely will not be able to have the surgery that was recommended..(back surgery)..i was referred to surgeon over a year ago....just FINALLY saw him 4 months ago....BUT.....wc is doing nothing of what he recommended ....(he had prescribed more pt before surgery).....he told me when i saw him that since injury was so long ago, that he couldnt guarantee that surgery would work....and here it is even longer now than it was then.....so....i just might get excluded from having to go through surgery.

I have an attorney yes, but was told by my pain management doctor that after the surgery, if I decided to go ahead with it, I would never be able to do any real lifting or return to the type of work I currently do. My thought is I am already at a point where I can do no lifting and would not be able to return to the same line of work. Guess I am going to have to wait until I see these doctors or doctor and the decision will be mine. But to go back to work without restricitons, I beleive that I wouldn't make it past a few hours let alone being able to do it at a consistent basis.