Default What Does 'Degenerative Arthritis and Disc Disease' Mean?

RESULTS from one of my xrays. On the one of my neck it states degenerative arthritis AND disc disease c6-c7, can anyone enlighten me on any of this? My neck is just one of the areas of my body that are hurt from WI. I didnt know i had arthritis in my neck , will this take my neck out of the wc equation?
    thanks in advance

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: NE
    I saw my dr today. he is sending me to pain management. I have researched some on what they do basically find what the problem is and try to keep your pain under control?

Areas of injury neck ,upper ,mid and lower back, Right shoulder, right arm, wrist. Left knee

Default Re: What Does It Mean?

In most states the WC laws allow for the IW to receive medical treatment 'reasonably, medically necessary'' to the injury.
    Your underlying condition won't preclude you from receiving treatment to your injury, most likely your injury exacerbated the DDD/arthritis, but it will be subject to the apportionment to cause of any PD you may suffer due to the injury.

Wikipedia has a great information site for DDD, including symptoms, causes, treatment options... you can read it here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_disc_disease

Thank you. I wasnt sure what it meant because of the way they worded "degenerative arthritis AND Disc disease

Hey,
    Degenerative is a word that doctors like to use because they don't want to say how its caused.
    As a mechanic I see degenerative every day, take two parts of the same machine built at the same time. One inside, in a climate controlled building the other end on the outside, they both have the same door and door motors, both work the same, one opens, the other closes. 2 years later check out the outside motor it is worn and leaking oil, the gaskits are dry and brittle the door slides rough but the inside looks like the day installed. degeneration is caused by use ,and weather conditions, climate, sun, expanstion and contraction. Yes ,everything you do on your job. Day in and day out. But again Im just a mechanic.

Popeye
    (I am what I am)

"... because they don't want to say how its caused."

Causation is not something that is addressed in a radiology report and actually Drs. do know the cause: the normal aging process. Anyone over the age of say 35 will show such changes somewhere in their spine. Also - these degenerative changes are the WHY of why people get shorter as they get older.

Actually it means that there is evidence by radiographic criteria of loss of disc heigh AND signal intensity ( meaning fluid loss ) accompanied by joint changes of spurring, beaking, and joint changes.

and one more thing to confound the matter further: Numerous studies have demonstrated that their is no correlation between a patients pain ( only) symptoms and complaints and their imaging studies, be it x-ray, CAT scan or MRI ( excluding fracture, tumor or infection obviously)

Those are pre-existing conditions that anyone over the age of 30 or so is likely to have, and they are normally not covered in work comp unless the comp accident aggravated the conditions.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law