Ohio Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Ohio Workers

• Ohio Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Ohio Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: Ira Unger

Default Ira Unger

I tore my ACL and PCL in Jan and need gel injections.WC denied a knee
    replacment and the injections. Now I have to see Ira Unger in Akron.
    Is it time to get an attorney?

Default Re: Ira Unger

rome,

This may seem like an odd question but first was you claim accepted or denied in jan?
    If accepted what are the all allowed conditions?

I did send you a response on other thread please PM me!

WC accepted the claim and I had surgery...but my knee is shot and the surgery only
    helped for about 6weeks. They denied a total replacement so doc had to request
    gel injections. Now employer wants to cut my benefits and see IRA UNGAR...is he
    a quack?
    how do I PM? I'm new on this

rome,

I tried to PM you and also reply to you but you have your options set so you cant recieve. Don't worry it's no big deal I will try a guide you through. I am pretty new to and I did the same thing!

First go to User CP in the top left of the screen and click on it then you will go to edit options and click on it, then in the middle you will see recieve emails uncheck box recieve email from other members. That should do it. I saved what I was sending you so I will try again in the morning. Hopfully you dont see Dr unger tomorrow. I will keep an eye open and if you reply before then I will send it as soon as I can!

I don't see IU til the 23rd but I'm going to try to find an attorney Monday.
    thanks rome

First are you dealing with a self insured company? It sounds like you are! Which means you probably got a letter from CIME telling you that you have been scheduled for an IME exam and when and where you need to report and what to bring with you,

Dr Ungar was my first IME and my employer is self-insured so thats who sent me to see him. My claim was actually denied at that point. I had a family member take me to my exam and had all my medical documents with me. you wont be seeing him at an office of his because he doesnt have an actual office. he travels and only does IME. I also didnt have a lawyer at that time. I feel that is what helped me. He did his exam of me and was very thorough when he was completed I asked him when I would get a copy of his exam for my records. He told me I wouldnt. I told him I didnt understand why not thats when he said that he would file the report with CIME and then they would forward it to Sedgwick which then would be forwarded to my lawyer I then explained to him I didnt have a lawyer he asked why not and I said why would I have a lawyer all I want is to get fixed so I can get back to work! he then informed me I should get one to protect myself! The thought terrified me at the time and even more so when I got home and started to call around looking for lawyers and most when I called after they found out who I saw for an IME said that he would say nothing was wrong with me! Well they were all wrong. That is why I believe he ruled in my favor! Since you have had a real injury I would go in there with all your medical documents without a lawyer (only because you have objective findings) and when he is finished with his exam asked if you can get a copy of his report to add to your file. He will pretty much tell you the same thing he said to me. He will already have a copy of most if not all of your medical history but take it with you anyway. He wont have MRI films only reports. And only what the employer wants him to see so if you take things with you he will also see you arent hiding anything. If you need any help let me know.

This way if he doesn't rule in your favor you will have a hearing woth the Industrial commission and you doctor will have time to file a rebutal of doctor Ungars report and you will then want to get a lawyer. But if dr ungar rules in your favor there is no need for a lawyer at this point and most of the time the IME will rule against you! Especially this one!

You might as well take the chance and not have the lawyer until after the IME it also gives you basically an extra bite of the apple!
    D

thanks. I've never had a problem like this with any previous work injuries. Of course,
    no previous injury was this severe so I'm a little cautious. Yes, my employer is self
    insured and they have already indicated I will be fired if I return to work with any
    "accommodations" like light duty.
    I'll let you know how the IME turns out.
    Rome

rome,

Have you registered for an eaccount at the bwc website? Here is the link https://www.ohiobwc.com/Default.aspx if you haven't you may want to. I only recomend it so when the IME report is in and you don't have a lawyer the SI will probably send it to the BWC. That way you can view it and other information. I love the website.

they have already indicated I will be fired if I return to work with any
    "accommodations" like light duty.
    Rome just an FYI, this is illegal for them to do. That would be retaliation for you getting hurt and filing a BWC claim. You need to talk to Charles Stevens about this. For right now document every word and who says them when they threaten this.

Rome:

I'm jumping in a little bit late here, but I did want to comment on this thread.

Jojo is 100% correct regarding retaliation. You would have at least one (and possibly two) causes of action available to you if you were terminated as a result of your need for accomodations: (1) a cause of action pursuant to R.C. 4123.90 (retaliation against persons filing workers' compensation claims unlawful), and (2) a cause of action under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I only handle Ohio workers' comp. matters (although I did once defend ADA claims), so I can tell you that your remedies under R.C. 4123.90 are quite limited (reinstatement, back pay, and statutory attorneys' fees). However, these lawsuits can be expensive to defend, so they are definitely a deterrent to retaliatory action by employers. An ADA suit will be much more difficult to win -- federal courts are generally much less plaintiff-friendly, and it will be more difficult to find an attorney to take the case -- but the payoff for a winning case can be substantial.

Of course, if you are female or over 40 years of age, you are in two additional protected classes. Thus, if you are terminated, you should walk out of your place of work and right to an attorney's office.

Hopefully your IME went well. I agree with BigD's advice regarding retaining counsel; however, if Unger found that you have reached MMI status, then it's definitely time to hire an attorney.

Best of luck,

-- DB