Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IME Doctor Lifted Work Restrictions, But Treaters Say I'm Not Ready

Hi,

I would like to ask what should i do or tell my supervisor..it goes like this , she talked to me today saying that she received an email yesterday saying that
    My doctor had released me to full duty without restrictions and must go back to work immediately and that was per the IME doctor who just examine me not even 5 mins and that was 2 months ago.. but my 2 treating doctor said i can't go back to full duties yet and i can only work 4hrs light duty and no lifting at all....but my supervisor wants me now to go back to full duties and i said my treating doctor said i can't..and i have a new prescription note said i can only work for 4hrs and no lifting at all untill further notice..and i can't call my lawyer coz he told me already that he will not be in the office this week..so my question is should i follow my treating doctor?or go back full duties?

Default Re: Some Help Pls

I would tell your supervisor that you are waiting on word from your attorney because there is a conflict in prognosis. Your treating physician says you have restrictions and a Dr who only saw you for 5 mins says you are fine. Any decent supervisor would have to realize there is a conflict and right now you could be a potential liability if you were to return to work with no restriction. Let them know you want to cooperate, but need to get advise from your attorney.

oh okies.. and my supervisor told me too that whoever telling me is leading me in the wrong way.. thats why i was so puzzled before she read the whole email that it was from the IME doctor they were basing it..coz my treating doctor wants me to get an injection again coz my L4-L5 was seen with bulging and height loss.. and some facet can't remember..so i was shock when she told me where i just saw my doctor last july 8.. so what if tomorrow she'll tell me they have to follow what the IME said and they can't allow me to be in light duty what will i say?

You have been on light duty for awhile now they can't say they don't have it...well they can but it gives you more power in court because they will look at it this way.... well for the last 7 months they had light duty and now they don't????? mmmmmm????? did you change jobs their do other things like office work??? then they will ask them how come thats not there no more they will put themselves in a bad spot but better for you.

oh i see.. yeah i've been doing the books and charting too in all patients charts..
    yeah thats true but its 8 of uswho is in light duty..and 8 of us go to work everyday.. but they work 8 hours i only work 4hrs.. oh i don't know what will happened tomorrow then..

Stay on light duty, this has happened to me, your employer cannot release you themselves, they need a work status report from "your" treating physician and him only. Do not let them sway you or you will loose your entire backing and your case.
    Thank you,
    fedup

This is a tough stance for your employer. Legally, from the employment end, they will likely be okay with what you decide. Did the IME doctor indicate that your current symptoms are no longer work related? If he indicates, they are no longer work related, many employer's have policies that they will not accommodate non work related injuries. If you then choose to go by your doctor, you will likely be sent home and not paid by your employer or workers compensation. Make sure to file for STD.
    The question is, do you feel you can do your job even though you still have the symptoms? What restrictions you follow is your choice, but your employer does have the right to send you home.
    If you claim STD, employer's also have policies on how long they will keep your job open, then they terminate your employment. I'd make sure to find that out.

hi, IME report acknowledge that its a work related injury but i am capable of returning to full duty work.. just a little run down of my work; I work in a nursing home i take care of alzhiemer patients total care who doesn't do anything for their self, we left patients, i turn twist and be in my feet all the time..
    the symptoms i have are all the same since the first time i hurt my back its just getting more intense pain..

oh my supervisor didn't say anything when i went back to work the following day.. but today at work someone hurt her self she fell in a wet floor.. so before we are 8 whos in light duty now 9 of us.. and i think they are trying to hurry to get some of us back to the floor i mean working back on the floor coz they're needing more staff now..

Default Re: IME Doctor Lifted Work Restrictions, But Treaters Say I'm Not Ready

Is this doctor that is releasing you full duty Dr. Kern Singh?

Post Re: IME Doctor Lifted Work Restrictions, But Treaters Say I'm Not Ready

hi...i am new to your site but i have been faithfully reading. i also had a fall while at work. actually, i had 2 falls in 2 months. one on the ice while walking on the ambulance ramp and the second time i slipped on water in front of the elevator. i have herniated discs at c6, c7 and l5,s1 with annular tears to both. i have been off since april this year and have been treated worse than i ever imagined. afterall, i was the asst. director of nursing for the facility.

i have been treated by a team of elite docs in hinsdale, il and per all of their advice, i can't go back to work and have done the injections and now waiting for approval for surgery. the ins. co wants me to have IME, but won't make it soon...appt is oct.13.

i was told by a great atty to get a IME on my own, as i am entitled to a second opinion. it is also best to schedule it close to the date of the ins. IME. it will help with the validity of the ins. doc's assessment. i was also advised to have a witness accompany me to the appointment and sit through the exam and take notes on a pad.
    don't know if you have time to get this done, but from the cases i have seen it is a slam dunk.

a hurt nurse in illinois