Ohio Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Ohio Workers

• Ohio Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Ohio Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can You Work While Collecting Permanent Partial

Can I work while collecting permanent partial disability in Ohio? If not how do you make it financially ? Has anyone lost there home in foreclosure?

Default Re: Can You Work While Collecting Permanent Partial

yes you can work while on permanent partial.

Thank you, are you working on permanent partial? NOw finding a job is the answer. Did you have any trouble finding a job on ppd? Lawyer eventually wants to go for PTD? What do you then if you are working?

If you are working they will most likely never award you PTD. Since that is for Permanent and Total Disability. You would not be able to be employed in any way, shape, or form. You would have to prove that you are physically or psychologically unable to be employed, or retrained/educated to perform any other remunerable employment. They are also said to look for the "magical" age of 50 when figuring this out to boot. I don't mean to upset you, or depress you in any way. These are just what they look for, sorry if it did. Good Luck, and by all means keep asking any questions that yopu may have.

MOJO, that is what I was afraid of, it is not depressing in itself. The whole workers comp system is depressing. Would not risk permanent total. It will be a long time before 50. HOw do you make it financially? Will not be able to live on PPD.

looks like i going for PTD. i soon turn 50, attorney say thats the magic number. their IME say that rehab is what i need. i did rehab, it consisted of doing job search for 15 weeks. got plenty of interviews, but as soon they learned of restrictions, job offer was pulled away. we tried to get into school, but my rehab rep, felt i am to stupid to go to school. i have this statement in e-mail. after making over 300 job contacts, i will not think of so-called rehab. ever again.

Loving:

Permanent partial disability is essentially a pain and suffering award. Because you cannot sue your employer as a result of your workplace injury (workers' compensation is an economic loss-based system, not a fault-based system), you cannot ask for any pain and suffering-type damages. Your permanent partial award is meant, therefore, to compensate you for the inconvenience and trouble that you incurred as a result of your industrial injury. It should be awarded in a lump sum check, although it is not a settlement of your claim.

So the answer to your original question is "yes": You can work while receiving permanent partial disability compensation.

Good luck,

-- DB

Well, permanent partial I understand, however, if you work and your lawyer goes for permanent total, most likely you will not get it. However, in the meantime how do you survive? Did you receive pPD and work and then get PTD? What a mess, not real well physically and still have PTSD. A family member did receive PTD in his thirties, however, his diagnosis was with the best from the Clevleand Clinic. HOwever, now some 25 years later is terminally ill with cancer. Received his SS also, and has lived quite well. HOw does one survive without a spouse to help financially? OH, what a mess, BWC, is not the best way to live. Have been without any pay since 11/07 out of money and patience.

YOu must have gone with one of the MCO's like voc works etc., they always make you out like you are stupid. It has nothing to do with intelligence, it is about money. Some of the other rehab places thru your attorneys recommendation is better. I would not take anything personally with BWC or any MCO. What goes around comes around. It sounds like you have done everything possible to work again. Has it been a struggle financially for you? I know we are about to go under financially, and it has effected health big time with the additional stress.

Quote Quoting loving View Post
    YOu must have gone with one of the MCO's like voc works etc., they always make you out like you are stupid. It has nothing to do with intelligence, it is about money. Some of the other rehab places thru your attorneys recommendation is better. I would not take anything personally with BWC or any MCO. What goes around comes around. It sounds like you have done everything possible to work again. Has it been a struggle financially for you? I know we are about to go under financially, and it has effected health big time with the additional stress.
    i went under 3-4 years ago, i get help from wife, friends, family. i consider myself very lucky. for i know most people are on their own. workers comp is not for the injured workers. they will do any thing to get out of what they are meant to do. if the injured workers pulled half the stunts as BWC, they would be put under the jails. yes i did get a PPD payment back in the mid 90's, and i was working, i worked until 2004, went down from old injury, they spent 2 1/2 years delaying, and denning, to get out from under the original agreement. in the mean time i lost a very good job that was going to create a new job for me. what a hoot.