Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Massachusetts Workers

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Massachusetts Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can Work/Comp Stop Paying Weekly Checks?

can workmans comp stop paying your weekly checks? i have been out of work since sept 2007

Default Re: Can Work/Comp Stop Paying Weekly Checks?

Yep. They can pretty much do anything they want. You should receive notice prior to stoppage.

can workmans comp stop paying your weekly checks? i have been out of work since sept 2007
    You should have received a notice, with an explanation/reason for stopping the benefits.

Were you recently evaluated by a doctor the IC arranged for you..?
    Did your PTP issue a report indicating you are now P&S/MMI ?

Those are the 2 basis reasons for stopping TTD/TPD...
    Without the actual basis for stopping your benefits there isn't much else to offer here...

i am released to work with certain restrictions , but my employer does not have anything with those restrictions. so i am still out of work
    what do we do when the doctor tells us that we r at maxium or ttd. we just get shut off of income?

what do we do when the doctor tells us that we r at maxium or ttd. we just get shut off of income
    Go back to your PTP and explain your situation...some states allow for continuation of the TTD benefits while you seek employment due to your current ER not having "light duty'' or a job within your restricitons.

You also may have rights under ADA/EEOC/FEHA rules/regulation...
    The ER is mandated to make a 'reasonable acommodation' to bring an IW back to work...

IF your state doesn't have a provision for continuing benefits... your alternative would be to find a job that fits your restrictions...unfortunately, those are your options.

thank you for all your info!!! am i able to look for employment while on w/comp? and if offered can i take job? i have a lawyer ,but i trust this a lot more than anybody... thanks again

am i able to look for employment while on w/comp? and if offered can i take job?
    Once you are MMI, and the ER/IC stops your TTD/TPD checks, you really aren't ''on comp'' any more...though if you are still receiving checks, those are probably advances on the PD indemnity...

As you are released to RTW, that IS what you should be doing...if not at the previous ER, as they are undable to make a ''reasonable acommodation'' as required by law, you should be seeking another job as soon as you are able.
    Waiting for your claim to settle isn't putting money in your pocket...and what you do not earn now, can't be replaced...

i went to my doctor today and i still have those restrictions, so i am still receiving my w/comp checks--and still is unknown if at max improvement. so i don't see dr for 3 mnths, if i go find a job that can accomodate my restrictions can i take it and will w/comp pay me the difference from what i was making..?

if i go find a job that can accomodate my restrictions can i take it and will w/comp pay me the difference from what i was making..?
    That's a lot of ''ifs''... do you know if your current ER can make a 'reasonable acommodation' to bring you back to work...?

Have you found a job that is within your restrictions ?

You'll have to check with the state WC ombudsman on how the benefits are treated in MA...if you take a job paying less than your previous job, you may or may not be entitled to additional benefits.

While you are free to RTW at any time... if you have not reached a level of MMI it woud not be advisable to go back to work unless your doctor says you are capable and what the restrictions are...

It's admirable that you are attempting to RTW, but you don't want to do something to cause additional injury...
    A potential ER will certainly have the ability to do a back ground check and know that you have a WC claim open... it may be difficult to find employment under those circumstances...