Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: FCE Test

Default FCE Test

Hi folks,

I just got back from my ortho and he reviewed a new mri he had ordered for me because of severe pain continuing even with pain killers. Well the only thing he said was that there was scaring issues and that he wanted me to try Neurontin for the pain. Has anyone ever been on this? Does it work? He also is sending me for a FCE test that takes about 3 hrs. Has anyone heard of this one. I think it's a test to see how functional condition I'm in, but why has he ordered it and not the insurance co.? Any help with these 2 questions would be greatly apprieciated. I have my 1st hearing in early Oct. and I'm nervous taking meds I've never heard of.

Thanks,
    nipper

Default Re: FCE Test

nipper,

dont worry about neurontin AKA gabapentin... It is a great drug! I was on it but had adverse side effects.. For most it is a wonder drug.. Especially for nerve pain.... It is used for people who have seizures.

As far as the FCE you are better off having your doctor requesting it than the other side... Think about it... just like your doctor he is looking to do the best for you, when you have to go to an IME set up by the IC and is pick out by the IC what is the chance that you are going to get an unbiased opinion?

Hi I am new to this but I just had a FCE. When you get yours just make sure that you dont do anything that hurts and stop what you are doing if it starts to give you pain. If the person who is giving you the evaluation is a goos person like mine was they will not have you do things that you know will increse your pain levels. Good luck.

tired

Hi Nipper,
    never heard of the test, but I did google it for you, and it sounds like what your thinking, some type of full capacity evaluation or something of that sort.
    I would read up on it as much as you can before you go, so you know what to expect. you don't want to push yourself too hard, you have enough pain to deal with.. I'll let ya know what I find out on this end ok...take care...
    iod

Thanks Iod and Tired,

I was just wondering what types of things they are going to make me do. I had a big problem about 3 weeks ago with a test that had me laydown for 1 hour and not move, well when I got home I couldn't even get up the stairs hubby had to help me the pain was so bad!!

Nipper

Hi nipper, here are a few links I found to help understand this test. I'm still in the dark about it, but I'm checking it out for ya...also, under "search" on this board type in FCE test, a few things come up... here are some links to check out:
    http://www.ptproductsonline.com/issu...2005-04_09.asp

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16119221

http://paincure.homestead.com/fce.html (this seemed to be a good one)

hope this helps....

iod,

Thanks for the links, they were very informational, the only problem is that I'm a type A personality and I know I will overdue it. I always have been a strong person that's part of the reason my back got so bad. I just kept working until we got through the holidays and was barely able to walk. I just know that when I get home the pain will be there and the next day will be worse. They had me on land today for pt and a new exersize and I did it even though it was killing me, the therapist noticed my arms were shaking but I kept going anthing to get better is in my brain.

Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    The brainless Nipper