Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Wisconsin Workers

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Can I Re-Open a Claim for a Reccuring Injury Sustained at a Previous Job?

in aug. 2005 i injured my self at work - strained right hip muscle/ scyatica (sp) had 6 months of therapy and chiropractic to correct it.

in nov. 2007 this same area started to hurt again due to employee cutbacks 4 months prior and the resulting increase in physical workload. it had also started to cause pain on the left side but much less severe and not very often.

both were covered by workmans comp however for the 2007 injury the doctor only permitted therapy for about 4 weeks and only on the right side ( because thats what was hurting most at the time) and this was only done at my insistance. he assumed it was a lower back issue and ordered x-rays and pain meds - x-rays showed nothing and the type of meds prescribed had little effect. the therapy helped.

at the time i was working in shop 3 days a week and driving the other 2. they hired part time help on the days i was in shop but even then after 8-10 hours of standing all day the pain would sometimes come back for a day or two. weekends and the driving days (a lot of sitting) helped keep it from getting too bad.

i switched jobs in may 2008 and while i am doing a ton less lifting (actually about 30-60tons less lifting 45 lbs x 1500-2500 times a day ) i am now standing 6 days a week for 8-12 hours a day and the pain has come back quite regular - still moslty the right side but occasionally the left too.

i feel this is an overuse/repetative stress injury caused by work perfomed at my previous job, and that the amount of treatment needed to properly correct it in 2007 was not sufficient (it seemd okay at the time because of the amount of time per week i was able to rest my hip due to driving and weekends). am i able to get this covered under either of the previous claims filed at my other job? and if so how do i go about re-opening the claim(s)?

Default Re: Can I Re-Open a Claim for a Reccuring Injury Sustained at a Previous Job?

To re-open a claim your PTP has to show that there is a progressioning or worsening of the previous injury. after that you have to file the pproper forms. In the injuries you are talking about, did you settle the claim with your IC? that will make a differance also

Default Re: Can I Re-Open a Claim for a Reccuring Injury Sustained at a Previous Job?

aggravations of pre-existing conditions or injuries are considered new injuries.

what is PTP? and what kind of forms would i need to file or will they tell me the forms?

i am not sure if there was a settlement. in 2005 work comp paid for all medical and 1 weeks wages for the work i missed, in 2007 only medical was covered as i did not miss any work. i did not sign any paperwork other than the initial injury report.

IC is insurance carrier?

i am thinking it was never fully healed as i only was allowed a few weeks of therapy so i am not sure its really a re-aggrivation although i am sure the insurance company will likely say it is from things i have been reading on other posts.

PTP is your treating physician of record for your claim...
    The forms you need are an reopening form or whatever it may be called in your state,,,,read up on your states laws and regs