Kentucky Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Kentucky Workers

• Kentucky Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Kentucky Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Why Wont Anyone Listen to Me

first let me begin by telling you what is and has been going on, I have posted several other posts but for those of u who don't know whats going on here's a little history.

I was injured at work in April while helping a nurse pull a patient up in the bed, by the time I got off work I could barely walk, I got home took some ibuprophen and benedryl so I could sleep. When I woke up I was in such severe pain that I could barely move my legs and I knew I couldn't go to work, so I called my supervisor and went to the doctor.

this is taken directly from my MRI report:

L4-L5: Disc dessication changes with disc space narrowing. Mild to moderate broad based right paracentral predominant protrusion with anterior deformaty of the thecal sac, narrowing of the lateral recesses, right greater than left, and right neural foraminal narrowing inferiorly without nerve root impengement. Mild facet degenerative changes with further mild bony neural foraminal narrowing.
    L5-S1: Moderate central protrusion with associated annular tear. There is mild anterior deformity of the thecal sac. Mild narrowing on the right lateral recess. No significant neural foraminal narrowing.

Since this injury I have had PT, transforaminal ESI's many different kinds of pain meds and muscle relaxors with little relief. I continue to be in pain on a daily basis. Anything that I try to do exacerbates the pain to an uncontrolable level. I was sent to a neurosurgeon by my primary doc. Neurosurgeon seen me 3 times and decided that it was not operable and pretty much dumped me. He set me at MMI and said there was nothing more that could be done for me. And gave me a release to return to my regular job. My copy said no lifting, but magically that was a mistake and changed to full duty.....grrrrr don't get me started on that one.

The thing is I am not better, I still live with terrible pain in my back, legs, feet and little toes. I know that I couldn't return to the job I was doing as it requires alot of walking, lifting, bending, twisting......

W/C has cut all of my benefits including my medical, and I don't have a doctor anymore. My place of employment is calling wanting to put me back on the schedule. I called my attorney who said that they could cut my medical, and wants to wait until he gets the doc's notes to give me any advice on the situation. I want a second opinion, I know something is wrong with me. I know I am not imagining this pain. I am not concerned with being paid a big settlement, my main concern is getting better so that I can have my life back. I want to be able to stand on my own two feet as I always have. I want someone to listen to me, not just look at an MRI and say we can't do surgery so therefore we shall pretend there is nothing wrong with you and send you back to a job that would be impossible for you to do. Had he listened to me he would know that going back to work for me is just a fantasy right now. Why do doctors treat the diagnosis and not the patient. Why do they chose to ignore your symptoms and tell u that there is basically nothing wrong with you. I work in the health field and the first thing we learned is that u treat the patient not the test results. I know that there are objective and subjective findings to every diagnosis. But my symptoms are real whether they can be seen on a test or not. I am being affected by this in so many ways. I am getting depressed and feeling worthless and useless, my husband has had to pick up the slack for me and its affecting our relationship in a very negative way. He is begining to get resentful and who could blame him. I can't do the things I used to do with my children, we couldn't even take a vacation this summer because of me.

Before I ever had the MRI or was seen by any doctor my primary complaint was always LBP with pain radiating down my right leg, weakness, numbness and tingling in my right leg and foot and little toe (you know the feeling when one of your limbs go to "sleep"), and my right leg has went completely out on me on several occasions.

Has this happened to anyone else? What are my options. Is this the end? Am I supposed to just accept what this neuro surgeon has said and just pretend that I am all better? I am so lost and losing hope by the second, please if anyone has had to endure anything simular to whats going on with me, help me.
    Thank you so much for all the advice and support, u have no idea how much it means to me.

Default Re: Why Wont Anyone Listen to Me

unfortunatly most doctors does what w/c tells them to do. i went through basicaly the same thing as you with the same diagnosis. i had medical insurance where i worked i told them my situation and they agreed to pay my medical treatment as long as i signed an agreement that if i sued w/c that i would see to it that they were reimbursed for what they were out. so i got my own doctor and got the right treatment. but if they say you have to go back to work do it if you have to crawl in. or they will fire you and you will be up the creek without a paddle. if you are in the shape i was in. as soon as you do anything that cause you extra pain go immediatly and file another accident report.and demand to go to a doctor of your choice.dont quit your job you will be screwing yourself. they will end up firing you before its over anyway they are not for you. you have already cost them and they will find a reason to get rid of you and will try doing it with out costing them alot more. you will have alot stonger case against them if they fire you while out on a dr.approved medical leave. in ky you have the right to be treated by your doctor of choice but if w/c asks you to see their doctor you have to. but you dont have to be treated by their doc.

Your MRI report is similar to mine except I have severe nerve root impingement and canal narrowing. I think yours goes the long way of saying practically the same thing. I was a construction worker, putting in 'bar joists' which are steel structures to support a garage floor with a basement space underneath. A tag on them said '430#' and I asked my supervisor if that's what each really weighs and he said no, maybe the whole skid. In the back of my mind I was laughing about what an idiotic statement that was.

Well, me and the main boss were installing them and when we got to the point of placing them, he would just drop his end, cantilevering the whole weight plus some extra force on me. After about 7 of them I had to stop, my back was burning and tingling. It was a friday, payday, and I wanted to try to finish out the day to get my paycheck. No light duty was available, so I was stuck digging footers. After a few minutes of that, I went to straighten up and my legs just quit working. I fell on my face yelling with pain. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. I crawled up to my truck and told my boss I couldn't go on. No one offered to drive me so I suffered through driving a 5-speed to take myself to one of those clinics. Big mistake. One X-Ray, a script of ibuprophen and a week off to rest, with 'alternating ice and heat' to make it all better. It ended up being 2 weeks before I could return to light duty.

Less than 3 months later I had another 'episode'. This time I got a change-of-doctor who ordered the MRI. He sat me down and told me the severety of my injury, that many things I used to be able to do, I wouldn't ever be able to do again, and that I would end up in a wheelchair eventually. This hit me like a ton of bricks. To add insult to injury (sic) he said by the time I'm wheelchair bound, comp would claim 'Degenerative Disk Disease' and refuse to cover me. He was a good doctor, I like someone to be to the point and truthful, instead of lying or not saying anything.

After some PT and some electro-stimulus 'therapy', which in my opinion was a terrible thing to go through with nerve damage, they pushed me into work conditioning and 'hardening', basically a 4-hour thing with only an hour or so of actual physical movement. It was quite pathetic to be honest. My IME said I was at MMI and rated me at a max of 40# lifting and carrying only occasionaly. Then comp moved on to voc rehab, trying to find me a job doing what I used to do, which in my opinion was a waste of time. But they claimed that was their 'heirarchy' (another word I've come to hate) and was their procedure. After a week I dropped out, no construction company will hire someone with those limitations, even a supervisor has to get in there and work. I asked to be retrained to work with computers, I'm very proficient with them, to which they flatly said no. An eventual downward spiral of arguing with my claims managers (I've had 16 different ones) and my 'other' doctor ordering a test that wasn't approved, trying to stick me with a $340 bill, which I fought till they paid, a falling out with the jackass dr over that fiasco (not the 'good' dr, he retired), and here I sit with no doctor, no meds and no hopes on the wc front. But I dont and I wont give up!

I work on computers, run a little ad and pick up some work here and there, and I live with the pain. The important part is the living part. Keep going on and don't stop. God wants us all to keep living our lives for every day we get, because something better might be on the horizon, but it's up to us to make the changes and take charge in our lives. I have heard so many stories of people down on their luck, ready to end it all then all of a sudden God smiles on them and their life turns around. That doesn't always mean they hit the lotto or found a great paying job they can do and enjoy. It might only mean they found the secret to life and happiness and are content to walk His path He chose for them.

5 years of dealing with comp has made me, bitter towards my friends and family who dont understand what I'm going through, or are able to still do the things I cant. It has made me hopeless to the point of considering suicide, as I'm sure I'm not the only one. But most importantly it has made me find God, who gave me hope and faith. And to realize this injury is not the story of my life. I am still 'relatively' young, LOL and I got alot of living yet to do.

Here's a couple Psalms that help me...
    Psalm 142
    1 I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication.
    2 I poured out my complaint before Him; I showed before Him my trouble.
    3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
    4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.
    5 I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
    6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.
    7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

And being a hillbilly...
    Psalm 121
    1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
    3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: He that keepeth thee will not slumber.
    4 Behold, He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
    6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
    7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: He shall preserve thy soul.
    8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

I hope my comp story doesn't discourage you, half of my problems were self-induced. But they carry an equal amount of the blame, and for that will I continue being a thorn in their side. I hope you don't give up either and fight them for everything you got coming to you.

WV fighter

Thanks for your story and your kind words, I think whether we have been dealing with w/c and all this BS for years or months we all know how trying it can be. I feel so lost at times, but I can always come to this site and somehow I don't feel so alone. I wish I were an attorney because this system needs some serious revamping, people need to be treated as humans with kindness and respect. Some where along the way the humanity has been lost in all the $green$ tape. My heart bleeds for all of the people fighting this system. It makes me ill the way they treat us like we are all lying drug addicts looking for a free ride. I am sure that I speak for not only myself but everyone else when I say we would much rather be returned to our preinjury selves than to get there measly little settlements, or the meager checks that we were forced to adjust to, and then if that weren't bad enough they quickly find some reason to cut your checks and leave u to starve. It sickens me to think that our government takes better care of people in other countries than they do there own. Life liberty and the persuit of happiness!!
    Here are the definitions of those words!

Life: the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
    Liberty: The condition of being free from restriction or control.
    Happiness: state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy

HAHA don't they get it, our life has been reduced to that of a begger, our liberty has been stolen away by the w/c ins companies and our happiness has been replaced by our stress pain and aggervation. Do we suddenly not qualify to be american because we have become disabled?
    Last edited by idunnowhat2do; 09-19-2008 at 05:41 PM.