Florida Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Florida Workers

• Florida Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Florida Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Question MMI and PPI Rating What Does It All Mean

Hello I am new to the forum

I suffered a work related injury in Florida but i reside in another state .
    I am still in litigation with them .

I suffered a disc herniation of the L5-S1 with a tear in the disc annulus .
    I have been on the same medical restircitions for a year . with only getting worse . I am not currently working because I cannot do the work i did before .

I have had an IDET procedure done . with no success as well as injections with no success .

I did my one time dr change and she had an MRI done which showed now i have Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease in that L5-S1 Disc . the disc is still torn and herniated . also i have disc displacement ( that is the same thing but her new diagnosis ) and also lumbar radiaculpathy .

I went for the FCE evaluation ( functional capactiy eval ) i really dont know what it all means but the evaluator told me if you do not feel you can do something safely dont do it . i did try the things she asked me . i get muscle spasms feel like someone is stabbing me in my right foot and my back flares up where im down for days . they gave me a rating of MMI and also only 5 % PPI i dont know what all that means and i asked the dr if i could return to the nursing field but she said as long as your not lifting more then 25 pounds. pretty much my career is over i had 1 year to complete my degree . I cannot clean my home alone without my husbands help and i cannot sit too long or stand too long but this FCE did not evaluate that and i have been complaining about this all along the sitting and standing which is bothersome .

so what does it all mean is the big question ? anyone have similar experiences . thankyou for your help

Default Re: MMI and PPI Rating What Does It All Mean

The PPI rating will be used to calculate some additional disability payments. the higher the rating the longer the payments last. 100% is the total inability to work at any job so 5% is a small award.
    the temporary disability payments will stop since you are at maximum medical improvement; your claim is almost done.
    more information here
    http://www.fldfs.com/WC/

hi thankyou for your reply

yeah im not agreeing with this rating thing because i will not be able to go back to the work i went to school for or trained for for years . 10 years in the field . they did not measure my pain and discomfort sitting or standing and that has been one of my complaints all along . so i am going to discuss with my attorney some how i dont feel they the workers comp dr and or the evaluator have the employees best intrest at heart.
    i dont know any person who can do my job with moderate work load period .

what do u mean by small settlement? i am potentially a surgical canadite for spinal fusion but i declined as it can cause more problems

what makes you think workers comp pays for pain?
    It's a disability system; pain is too subjective to make dollar payouts on.
    it's not suppose to have your best interest at heart--especially if it means breaking the employers bank account. the legislature has to have a system the works for all involved not just one side. it's a balancing act. each side thinks the other is getting the better of the deal that's why there's much litigation.
    keep those expectations high---
    your frustration will soon match them.
    or
    learn about the system and the benefits and be realistic.
    you can start here
    http://www.fldfs.com/WC/

thanks for your reply . it was my understanding that they have to train you to do another job with your restrictions . since im not in florida how will all of that work ?

nothing is fair in life you learn to deal with it and move on . but my education and skills are un marketable now becuase of the fact no one will hire anyone in nursing profession which cannot lift . heck a chart can weigh minimum 10 pounds

technically they have to offer "reemployment services" not necessarily or specifically retraining

see FAQ #15:

"The law provides, at no cost to you, reemployment services to help you return to work. Services include vocational counseling, transferable skills analysis, job-seeking skills, job placement, on-the-job training, and formal retraining. To find out more about this program, you may contact the Department of Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Rehabilitation and Reemployment Services at (850) 245-3470 or visit their website at: www.rehabworks.org"

Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.
    take the internet orientation tour to find out details
    https://wc-returntowork-vr.doe.state...IEOrientation/

Those injured employees who currently reside outside the State of Florida and do not want to complete the internet-based Orientation may contact the Tallahassee District Office at (850) 245-3489 for a telephone orientation and/or for additional information about how out-of-state customers are served.

http://www.rehabworks.org/index.cfm?...in.WorkersComp

Hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by .SH; 10-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.