Default Neuropsychologist/Psychologist

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Idaho

I went to one of these 3/4 hour appointments the other day. Must have been a cheap place because I had to fill out the million and one questions in the waiting room sitting on a crappy chair. Anyway when one is sent to one of these people, do the comp company/assigned nurse and those invoved on that side get a copy of all the notes and everything involved with these visits like the doc office reports? I am thinking these places would have a more keep to themselves and I relationship? Can these things be used against you? What about when it's all said and done can I get a copy of all related materials for this care rec by them? Do these people effect anything good or bad on your claim with comp? When I finally saw the person treating me there, he wanted to schedule a few appointment and work with my pain mang doc, said together they can work great for my recovery? Just a side note how the person explained the circle of PAIN, ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION (i think that was the three) was amazing. Again all to those that reply - THANK YOU

-whats up with the almost 600 t/f questions about my personality? do they want to know if they're in the long haul with a nice guy or an ass?

Default Re: Neuropsychologist/Psychologist

You were likely given something called the MMPI test (google it). That is how my husband's brain injury was diagnosed.

Not sure how this will play out other than another person brought into the team/group. Sounds like a scouting coach getting key players in on his team to go to the world championship game and win the plaque to put in the case. How it feels is like this, I have a guy I know who we can say will help, I am getting paid and so he can get paid and then I can rec some more people in the future to him and he can rec some more people to me together we can get paid and not cure people to the fullest but keep people coming back and then again and again and if we document that we feel he has benifited (cant spell) then this is protcall and if he complains well we have him seeing a psychologist he must already have something wrong in his head that he cant see the progress of the team working together for his recovery.

I just googled it....and it appears you will more than likely NOT have a favorable outcome from this test.

Here is a small cut and paste from what I just read..............

"Fake Bad" Scale
    In March 2008 a front page article in the Wall Street Journal exposed what it claimed to be the lack of scientific validity of the "fake bad" scale, which is used in courts as argument for malingering in injury litigation. According to the article two Florida judges barred use of the scale after special hearings on its scientific validity.

The article reports that the scale was developed by psychologist Paul Lees-Haley, who works mainly for defendants (insurance companies etc.) in personal injury cases. The article reports that in 1991 Lees-Haley paid to have an article supportive of his scale published in Psychological Reports, which the Wall Street Journal described as "a small Montana-based medical journal." The scale was introduced in MMPI after a review of the literature. This review was considered flawed by its critics because at least 10 of 19 studies reviewed were done by Lees-Haley or other insurance defense psychologists, while 21 other studies critical of the test were excluded from the review.

One of the critics of the "fake bad" scale is retired psychologist James Butcher, who found that more than 45 percent of psychiatric patients he studied had Fake Bad Scale scores of 20 or more, which according to the "fake bad" scale meant they were malingering. Butcher contends that it is unlikely that so many psychiatric patients misled doctors. The article qoutes Butcher concluding:

“ This is great for insurance companies, but not great for people.

The article claimed that disagreeing with statements like "My sex life is satisfactory" or "I seldom or never have dizzy spells" earned malingering points for the test takers.

Devon
    Last edited by Devon; 11-04-2008 at 05:45 AM.

Just be painfully honest. My husband showed that he was a non-malingerer both with the real test and the half-assed partial test the IME whore gave him. Watch out too because they will ask you the very same question in multiple ways. My husband had to take the test over two days because of all his cognitive losses and he just could not handle the basically all day test in one sitting.

Wow, that is a brutal study. I had to take mine in such a crappy place surrounded by smelly homeless looking people, I just breezed right through it. That sucks that it's tricky like that and can be labeled malingering, sounds like those people that twist your words to make it sound other than what you would have stated. Oh yeah, assigned nurses are those people that try to mind f**k you and twist the story. I know if they order you to go then you have to go or they drop your benefits, but wonder if you can request out of them?

I had read somewhere too that this test was not reliable and if you marked true, you where screwed and if u marked false u where screwed, hey great way for them..... THEY WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I just took the MMPI, too. Google it and look at some of the sample reports. They are a crack up. Just about everyone is diagnosed with either antisocial, malingering, psychotic or paranoid traits. The biggest part of the joke is that the reports are written (usually) by psych grad students. Everyone who has been to college knows that while you are in school, you are convinced you know everything. It takes getting out in to the real world before you realize that "book learning" pales in to comparison to real life.

Honestly, about half way through the 600+ questions I considered just making lightning bolts down the page. Depending on who sent you (your AA or the DA), the final report will be biased. Unfortunately, too many of the docs out there seem to be insurance whores...dancing for whom ever shows them the money.

It was the main doctor treating me that rec I see one. He as stated in his report believes I have post tramadic stress syndrome (cant spell). He said people have this for more serious complications in life and also more less serious situations in life.