Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default How Long Does It Take to Hear from the Judge?

After 2 years on WC in PA, I decided to let the judge decide if my benefits should continue and my surgery is to be covered by the WC. They had agreed to pay for the surgery, but all benefits would stop and I would be without any income until I returned to work after a double fusion.All briefs had to be filed by 9/24/2009. I understand that the judge has 30 days to render a decision. Here I am six weeks later and I still haven't heard a thing so I was wondering if anyone knows how long I can expect to wait. Thanks.

Default Re: How Long Does It Take to Hear from the Judge?

Your understanding is incorrect. The judge has a reasonable time to render a decision. This often takes 3-6 months. It is not unheard of for a judge to take a year or more to reach a decision in a difficult case.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Thanks for the reply, Tim. My attorney, whom is not that great, gave me that info. I just want to know either way so I can plan how to go from there.

Well, maybe that particular judge is faster, but the judges I deal with are never that fast.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

If you are in a rural part of pa. they tend to be alittle faster, their case load isn't as bad as a big city area.

Hope that helps,

nipper

I am acually in Huntingdon County which doesn't have a judge so our cases are split among various surrounding counties. My case was sent to Clearfield County which is also very rural without many cases. My attorney had told me to take their offer of paying for surgery without any WC income because he didn't feel like having to do the work of filing a brief. I later found out he is close friends with the opposing attorney. I did get SSDI on my first try without any questions asked so I do have the income beginning next month, but at the time of their offer, I did not know that. Well, thanks you all for the help.

For what it is worth, I would not make too much out of your lawyer being friends with the opposing lawyer. I have been handling almost exclusively WC matters for the past 8 years, and due to the limited number of lawyers that handle these cases, I normally know the opposing lawyer very well. Furthermore, it is in my client’s best interest to stay friendly with the IC lawyers. If we have a friendly relationship, they are less likely to give me difficulty regarding necessary extensions, and are more likely to listen to my side of the argument.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

Ya know, I never looked at it that way. Thanks again.