North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured North Carolina Workers

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Pain Management Doctor

My lawyer filed a motion to the NCIC for me to get a Pain Management Doctor. The NCIC, refused stating that I was having surgery and that my surgeon needs to assign one to me if he deems necessary. I have been injured for 14 months now and have been trying to get a pain management doctor the entire time. I am currently going to a Pain Management Clinic that W/C won't pay for the appointments, but have been paying for my pain medication? My lawyer is now filing an appeal to the NCIC. What a travesty this system sometimes is. I am having cervical fusion surgery but also have a lumbar hernia and carpal tunnel syndrome as a result of my injuries. When I asked my surgeons assistant about a pain management doctor at my last visit
    she stated that hopefully after my surgery, I won't need one. Well gee, I certainly hope that's the case also but it is frustrating that in all this time the IC has failed to provide me a pain management doctor and the North Carolina Industrial Commission obviously feels that this is all fine. Just to let some of you know what you are dealing with out there.

Default Re: Pain Management Doctor

Adequate pain treatment at all times is in everyones best interest. It can help to prevent the development of chronic pain which is expensive and hard to treat. You are quite wise to obtain adequate pain treatment early on as it may significantly reduce lomg term negative effects on your life and health.
    There is tons of info out there to support your position. The various comp systems are in the dark ages regarding pain as are many doctors. Current state of the art medical thinking supports adequate pain treatment at all times because it is recognized that unrelieved pain has adverse physical and psycological effects.

Default Re: Pain Management Doctor

I have been injured for 14 months now and have been trying to get a pain management doctor the entire time. I am currently going to a Pain Management Clinic that W/C won't pay for the appointments, but have been paying for my pain medication?
    Generally a 'pain management' facility/doctor won't accept a patient until all other treatment to the injury has been accomplished. IF there are treatment available to 'cure and/or relieve from the effects of the injury' those should be attempted prior to 'pain management'...

"Treating' pain, is very different vs 'pain management'...were a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach would be performed and a treatment plan developed to assist in pain management....

American Chronic Pain Association To facilitate peer support and education for individuals with chronic pain and their families so that these individuals may live more fully in spite of their pain.
    To raise awareness among the health care community, policy makers, and the public at large about issues of living with chronic pain.http://www.theacpa.org/default.asp
    Chronic pain. This type of pain can start with an injury or disease but persists well after the injury is healed or the disease is cured or goes away.http://www.everydayhealth.com/pain-m...ing/index.aspx
    http://www.ngc.gov/search/searchresu...+spine&num=500
    "Injury'' causes 'pain', and your PTP should be treating this, until you can receive the appropriate treatment to the injury... which, as has been provided, 'hopefully' will result in your pain relief.